• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fireplace / TV Placement Location Ideas

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Currently hunting for an apartment/condo, but so many places I come across have the fireplace in the living room in such a way that the only logical place to put the television is above the fireplace, which severely limits layout options. The places I am looking at often don't have the space to layout the living room differently.

Example:

I really would prefer to not have my TV above the fireplace as it's quite uncomfortable and unnatural for watching, and it also limits the space available to place some decent floorstanding or bookshelf speakers on an entertainment unit.

Just wondering if anybody has come across any decent options or work-arounds to this dilemma.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, seems like about 70% of the ones I see have similar living room inflexible layouts. Must've been a trend with developers around here in the late early 2000's with flat panels coming in vogue.

If worse comes to worst and we find a place that is absolutely perfect save for a similarly ****** living room layout, I want to know I have some options.

Last edited:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fireplace on the left, tv straight ahead.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've posted complaints about this before.

All of these condos that are short on overall space and insist that you need a fireplace (which ends up unused). The TV on the wall over the fireplace looks good in pictures, but sucks to actually sit and watch. I suppose a high TV (especially on a swivel mount) might work for watching good morning america while you make breakfast on the kitchen island, but is otherwise ******.

My friends just moved into a rental that looks kind of similar to that except it is even worse...where the right set of windows are, there is a set of french doors that open to the deck...so you even if you wanted to put the TV over the fireplace, you'd be hard pressed to place the sofas at a good viewing distance without blocking the french doors.

Last edited:

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fireplace on the left, tv straight ahead.

Well the photo is not of the actual unit, just an example.

Was looking more for ideas as otc mentions where there really is no other alternative to place the TV on another wall. I've researched mounts that will articulate out/down in front of the mantle, but the mounts on the wall are often still visible.

I was thinking worst case scenario build a sort of stand that would wrap around the fireplace unit (assuming fireplace sticks out from the wall) and is hung as flush as possible front of the fireplace and just blocking it out altogether.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If buying, I might look into knocking down the fireplace (Depending on what is behind all of that drywall...with a gas fireplace, there may be nothing back there or there may be vent ducts for yours and for units below). Realtors might be aghast, but I don't think it would really hit resale value very much, and you would still have gas lines in place to refit one in a gas-burning unit.

If completely taking it out isn't an option, you could try to replace it with a much shorter fireplace. This one is starting to get the TV at a more reasonable height:

If you are not actually going to use the fireplace, you don't have to be concerned about heat melting your TV.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Even 3 million dollar homes do this ****

They have room for a grand spiral staircase and an elevator, but they don't have room to place the giant TV at a decent viewing angle?

Edit: it was purchased by an NBA player...maybe the viewing angle is actually correct when you are that tall

Last edited:

fegopocae

Reaction score
think so,I don't think it would really hit resale value very much, and you would still have gas lines in place to refit one in a gas-burning unit.
29.gif

Last edited:

SomethingWitty

Reaction score
If buying, I might look into knocking down the fireplace (Depending on what is behind all of that drywall...with a gas fireplace, there may be nothing back there or there may be vent ducts for yours and for units below). Realtors might be aghast, but I don't think it would really hit resale value very much, and you would still have gas lines in place to refit one in a gas-burning unit.

If completely taking it out isn't an option, you could try to replace it with a much shorter fireplace. This one is starting to get the TV at a more reasonable height:

If you are not actually going to use the fireplace, you don't have to be concerned about heat melting your TV.

A few years back, my townhouse had a fireplace placement similar to the one in the OP. I had the same idea; replace the fire box with something more modern and low, thereby increasing the space above the fireplace to allow for a lower mount. I got several quotes and they were all in the $7-10,000 range which seemed too steep for a place I wasn't staying in long term and I didn't feel the change would be appreciated enough to recapture the value at resale time. There was enough room to fit the tv in a recess next to the fireplace, so in the end, we just went with that.

I agree that it would be a deal breaker if a) you don't feel the price of changing the fireplace is worth it, or b) there isn't an easy alternative location to place the tv.

FWIW, we did use the fireplace quite often in the winter...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads