• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: Castangia from SARTORIALE

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction is for a Castangia Suit or Sportcoat from SARTORIALE Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Fioravanti cut

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I bought a couple of Fioravanti jackets (most likely orphaned suit jackets) a good while ago when I was just starting to be more interested in quality clothing. I guess at the time I was 'seduced' by the working sleeve buttons amongst other things.

There is significant shoulder/upper chest padding but actually from the outside it's not that obvious. The fit of the upper body is actually very good - you feel as though the jacket 'fits' you closely but not tightly. However the odd thing is that the bottom quarter of the jacket seems to 'flare out' for want of a better term which seems a bit odd. The suits are dated by an internal label to 2003, so I guess it's not exactly 'dated'.

I've been going through some of my earlier acquisitions with a more discerning eye now and am going to throw these out by taking them to the charity shop. But just hoping for some enlightenment on this 'line' of clothing please.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The cut is an early example of the 'power suit.' He's been doing it for a long time.

If the waist flares out, perhaps the original client had a bigger waist and/or butt than you do.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
The cut is an early example of the 'power suit.' He's been doing it for a long time.

If the waist flares out, perhaps the original client had a bigger waist and/or butt than you do.

I guess but the waist area is reasonably slim, it's the 'butt' area that flares out. It'd be an odd sort of body shape to have a reasonably narrow waist combined with a huge butt

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Fioravanti makes bespoke clothing out of a New York atelier, and also licenses his name to a ready-to-wear line. If your coats are bespoke, there should be a label in an inside pocket (typically the right one but not always) which has the client's name and the date it was cut, among other information. I'm not sure if Fioravanti does this, but most bespoke tailors do.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Fioravanti makes bespoke clothing out of a New York atelier, and also licenses his name to a ready-to-wear line. If your coats are bespoke, there should be a label in an inside pocket (typically the right one but not always) which has the client's name and the date it was cut, among other information. I'm not sure if Fioravanti does this, but most bespoke tailors do.
Yes there's a name and the date 12/03.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
I guess but the waist area is reasonably slim, it's the 'butt' area that flares out. It'd be an odd sort of body shape to have a reasonably narrow waist combined with a huge butt

One very good reason to go bespoke.

Chris "Italia"

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211

Very simliar to Brioni, in terms of 'Power Suit'.

Dapper Dandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo

That's not really all that odd. If you squat heavy weights your butt will grow but you'll keep a relatively slim waist. Trust me, it makes buying pants a real pain in the, well, you know...

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If it flares out at the sides, that either means that the client had wide hips or that it was a design decision on Fioravanti's part to flare the skirt. If it flares out in the back, it means that the back balance is short on you.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 29 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 141 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 265 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 129 15.9%
  • 31 - 40