• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finished my first pair of levis STF HELP

khalas101

Reaction score
So I bought a black STF denim. Followed the measurements instructions, sized up 1 in waist and 3 in length.

I soaked em in hot water for 1 hour, let them air dry and wore them to shape up. BAGGY,

I even put them in the hot dryer on med for 35mins, still baggy. I hate skinny jeans and slim jeans but I also hate baggy. Pretty much just want a nice fit.

How come they're so baggy? I have some Pre shrunk levis and they fit well but I was hoping the STF would fit me even better but no chance. What should I do next time?

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
by smaller than your true size by like 3 in the waist and add 3 to the length

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I usually buy TTS in waist and then 2-3 inches longer in the inseam.

khalas101

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phoenixrecon
by smaller than your true size by like 3 in the waist and add 3 to the length

Huh? I'm 33 in the waist, if I go 30, they'll already be way to small initially and then after the wash they go down to a 29-28...

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What's fun about 501s is that for under 40 bucks you can experiment a little. My normal waist is 34. I have a pair of 35s that give me a slightly looser look, a pair of 33s that look a little skinnier, and 34s that look like a normal straight leg.

501s are really versatile that way. Just depends on what look you want to go for.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
by the way, a little Googling woulda got ya this:

Good advice here.

khalas101

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
by the way, a little Googling woulda got ya this:

Good advice here.

lol, that's exact link I used for my shrinking method. I bought the jeans in the regular instruction and then googled shrinking methods and found that link.

Guess next time ill go with my exact waist or 1 lower.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Depends though. I happen to like the ones I sized up an inch with. I think they still look good in spite of or maybe because of the looser fit.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by khalas101
Huh? I'm 33 in the waist, if I go 30, they'll already be way to small initially and then after the wash they go down to a 29-28...

then they will stretch to a size 34....

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
No they won't. I can't imagine sizing down 3 inches in the waist. Ouch...

ImBurningStarIV

Reaction score
I'm a 32 waist and sized down to 29, they have stretch a little over 32 now

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
I would only size down if you have no muscle on your thighs and ass. They will stretch in the waist but sizing down makes the rise, hips and thighs smaller too. I would buy true to size; ie if your waist measures 32, buy a 32 which should actually measure 33 and will shrink 2 inches and stretch out at least 1, maybe more. At most I would size down 1.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads