• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finest Restaurants in Manhattan - money is no concern!

jsp514

Reaction score
I live in New York, but being a poor recent college graduate I don't have much, if at all, knowledge about fine restaurants in Manhattan. But through a family friend, I was asked to give guide to a few visitors from Korea, who supposedly belong to the uppermost class and for whom money is no concern. If it may give some hint about their affluence, they will be staying at Carlton on Madison for a week.

So it seems taking them to rowdy and folksy Korean restaurants in Midtown won't do. I don't know much about their taste, except they are visiting here for some sort of art exhibition and they enjoy good wine.

Do you guys have recommendations/suggestions as to where I should take them? A good online guide will also help- I tried citysearch.com and yelp.com, but there were just too many restaurants for me to decide.

P.S. Being ultimately tourists and probably nouveau riche, for few of the Korea's wealthiest are free from such designation, I wouldn't mind hyped restaurants for tourists either!

P.P.S. Please excuse the taunting emoticon at the left of title. I meant to put it at the end of the above P.S.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Masa (the most expensive place in the city)
Per Se (ask the concierge at their hotel to try and get a resey)
Bouley
Le Bernardin
Danube
Del Posto
Babbo
L'Atelier de Joel Rubuchon
Le Cirque
Jean Georges
Chanterelle
Nobu

Should get you started...

jsp514

Reaction score
Thanks for the list, I'll check them out.

When I made the thread, I had a hunch that you might be quite an authority on this question.
smile.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't leave Daniel out of this list ^^^

I would also add Gotham Bar & Grill, Gramercy Tavern, Craft and Sushi Yasuda

Also, if staying at the Carlton, why not give Country a try?

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might want to bone up on Korean customs before they arrive as to not shock or offend your guests-something that seems normal and innocuous to a Yank can be terribly offensive to an Asian.

The most expensive restaurant is not always the best by the way. For someone visiting America they also might want to experience something more mid-range but unique to our country, such as one of the better steakhouses like Peter Luger or The Palm.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Thanks GDL...I knew I didn't have them all.

Earthmover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
You might want to bone up on Korean customs before they arrive as to not shock or offend your guests-something that seems normal and innocuous to a Yank can be terribly offensive to an Asian. The most expensive restaurant is not always the best by the way. For someone visiting America they also might want to experience something more mid-range but unique to our country, such as one of the better steakhouses like Peter Luger or The Palm.
going by some generalized stereotype of the Korean Nouveau riche, I would not send them to Peter Luger, no matter how good the steak is -- they will absolutely hate the service and the fact that it's out in Williamsburgh. Koreans are actually very big on french dining as the upper crusty thing to do, so I think you can't go wrong with Per Se, Daniel, Jean Georges, Bouley, Le Bernardin, etc. -- I personally think Bouley would be great because of their French country garden theme/decor, which works very well. Other than that, most of the great places were mentioned already. I don't know how well Masa would play, due to their austerity and lack of 'choice', but these are the kinds of things you can mention as caveats (for Lugers and Masa, at the very least) so at the very least they make informed choices. Edit: for steak, they may enjoy places with more stereotypical decor, such as BLT Steak, Palm and maybe even Strip House.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Earthmover
Edit: for steak, they may enjoy places with more stereotypical decor, such as BLT Steak, Palm and maybe even Strip House.
I think you mean less stereotypical decor? BLT Steak and Strip House don't look like a typical NY steakhouse à la Sparks, Old Homestead, Palm I/II, etc ... That may be why Strip House is my favorite steakhouse in the city - it is actually a pleasant place! Their meat is great too...

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Pink Berry
Well they have the original (Red Mango) already back home - and the NY Red Mango might even be open when they visit...

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Masa (the most expensive place in the city)
Per Se (ask the concierge at their hotel to try and get a resey)
Bouley
Le Bernardin
Danube
Del Posto
Babbo
L'Atelier de Joel Rubuchon
Le Cirque
Jean Georges
Chanterelle
Nobu

Should get you started...

Good list with the addition of Daniel's. I'm not a fan of Gramercy Tavern or Gotham Bar and Grill.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Earthmover
going by some generalized stereotype of the Korean Nouveau riche, I would not send them to Peter Luger, no matter how good the steak is -- they will absolutely hate the service and the fact that it's out in Williamsburgh.
Hmmm...my next reccomendation was going to be Sammy's Roumanian....not a good choice?
lol8[1].gif

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I'm not a fan of Gramercy Tavern or Gotham Bar and Grill.

Really??? I think both are consistently better than Danube (for Austrian, WallsÃ
00a9.png
kicks Danube's ass any day), Del Posto or Nobu. After dining twice at each, I actually find Gramercy Tavern better than Bouley

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Really??? I think both are consistently better than Danube (for Austrian, WallsÃ
00a9.png
kicks Danube's ass any day), Del Posto or Nobu. After dining twice at each, I actually find Gramercy Tavern better than Bouley

I've been to most of the restaurants listed only once, Gotham twice. However, there was something about Gotham and Gramercy that didn't create a longing to return.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads