• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fine, Wavy Hair... Need Style Advice!

Glen-Drummer-

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

This is my first post. Allow me to introduce myself. My name's Glen, I'm from the Midlands in England. I've always liked to maintain a fairly fresh look, unless I've been working a lot (in farming) which is when I get lazy with my image.

I'll post a few pictures of my usual 'going out to the shopping centre' look:

MiltonKeynes_personals_83009720.jpg

27ywpcw.jpg

dmpp3a.jpg

MiltonKeynes_personals_83008474.jpg

I often wear a flat cap, reversed, except when it's cold, when I tend to wear beanies. I also have a long, woolen, ex-marines greatcoat, which I changed the buttons on. It's very dark blue, termed as 'navy black' and comes down to just below the knee. (I don't have a picture of me wearing this, sorry!)

Basically, I'm wondering what to do with my hair. I know you can't see very much, but I rarely have photos taken of me. Basically, I think short hair suits me, like maybe a number 4 buzz cut, as in pic 4. However, I don't want to appear too aggressive. I want my hairstyle to compliment my dress sense and my personality. I'm a very easy going, kind, polite and gentlemanly guy. I never dress scruffy, even at work. I like neat t-shirts and nice casual shirts. I love to wear a suit and shiny shoes with my greatcoat, but only for special occasions.

I'm also very slight too, so I really don't want to come across as butch. I don't want to look like a dork or a weed either, just... Approachable!

Basically, I'm hoping to go on a date with a girl who's of extremely similar persona to me, and who's very intellectual, bright and bubbly... Like me, lol! I don't wear glasses, as I have perfect vision, except in artificial lighting, where it goes a little fuzzy sometimes. I've thought about getting some non-magnifying glasses, just for an anti-glare coating, for reading in artificial light. That might be a style tip I'll ask about at a later time.

I'm babbling aren't I? I'm sorry, lol!

Ok. First off, what to do with my hair? As I said, it's extremely fine and has a wave to it. It gets greasy in an hour or so, then, if it's long enough, the fringe clumps into a kind of rat tail, which I detest with a passion! Also, it curls around the ears and at the back, which I equally detest! I'm also receding quite a lot, which is alarming! I would go for some kind of side parting or something, but the parting would go so far back! If I have the sides long enough to pull across like Will South of Thirteen Senses, it goes curly! :mad: See this pic:

Thirteen%2BSenses.jpg

Also, this one:

Thirteen+Senses+thirteensenses.jpg

Ideally, I could have a style like his, but my hair just doesn't go! Also, I absolutely hate the idea of spending an hour straightening it, only to have it curl later in the night, every time I go out.

Just a note: It's not there on either of those pics, but I keep a flava sava or whatever it's called, a little tuft of hair under my lip. This is a practical thing, as I have two bumps which are awkward to shave around and cut very easily, so I tend to leave that bit and style it a little to keep it neat. Sometimes I keep full facial stubble too, depending on what I'm up to and what look I'm going for.

Ideally, not too much product or messing about would be needed to maintain a decent style.

I'm sorry it's such a long one... I guess I've made a bit of an impact? I was just trying to give as much information as possible really. I do go on a bit though, sorry!

Thankyou very much for your patience in getting this far!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads