• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fine Shirtings

Panama

Reaction score
Are fine shirtings such as Zegna 100fili
and Kamakura 200/4Ply just gimmicks?
I have had fine shirting before 300's etc. But do you need anything passed 120 two ply or modern compact 50's?

Is a finer cotton the answer? I have a Giza 87 on it's way, a lot cheaper than a Sea Island shirt.

Last edited:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As with the “S” designations for suit fabrics, I don’t pay much attention to these things.

I’m sure they mean something technically, but I just go off the feel of the fabric and the finishes.

I’ve been wearing Kamakura shirts almost exclusively for about the past 6 years and in my opinion they are, $ for $, the best value in shirts. I have a number of their 200 / 4 ply shirts and the fabric is soft and maintains its qualities wash after wash. Some have been in regular rotation for about 3-4 years with little to no signs of wear.

I think as much goes into the construction of the shirt and the finishes. The fabric selection is but one aspect.

Grace@Apposta

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Are fine shirtings such as Zegna 100fili
and Kamakura 200/4Ply just gimmicks?
I have had fine shirting before 300's etc. But do you need anything passed 120 two ply or modern compact 50's?

Is a finer cotton the answer? I have a Giza 87 on it's way, a lot cheaper than a Sea Island shirt.
Shirts with a superior thread counts look and feel great, and there are numerous yarn counts to experience on a plethora of levels; Sea Island, Giza 45, Supima cotton, 330/2, 200/2 140/2 double twisted, superfine cottons with extra long staple yarns. Gimmicks, they are not.

Panama

Reaction score
The majority of my dress shirts are Chester Barrie/Thomas Mason or Smyth and Gibson Albini - this could be Thomas Mason, they just only specify Albini. My casual shirts are Lands End Supima. I want to get a few Sea Island, Giza 45/87, or Suvin shirts. My Profuomo Giza 87 doesn't fit, and may not be able to return it.

A few of the Chester Barrie/Thomas Mason are so fine, they are far superior than other fabrics in the range.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads