• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Finding the right C&J shoes.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2005
Messages
1,220
Reaction score
1
I have tried a number of shoes on and done some research, and I'm about to make the following purchase (probably scattered across a few months). I have a few questions.

#1 All Weather: AE Perry in black (9D): http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/4046073.../men/s/11.html
#2 Brown: C&J Audley in Dark Brown Antique Calf (8.0E): http://www.crockettandjones.co.uk/handgrade-audley.html
#3 Black: C&J Hallam in Black Calf (8.0E): http://www.crockettandjones.co.uk/oxfords-hallam.html

One, I live in Chicago, and I work all over the country, so I get stuck in some poor weather fairly frequently. I like the idea of having a purpose built all-weather shoe such as the AE Perry for those occasions, and I also like the idea that it is relatively cheap, so if it gets destroyed, I can simply replace it. Aesthetically, the shoe is a bit frumpy, and I don't love the look of the double sole, but it serves its purpose. However, I do appreciate the punch cap toe detailing. My question is this: should I bother with this shoe at all? Could I serve my same purpose with just a single dainite sole C&J Hallam in Black Cavalry Calf, and combine shoe #1 and #3? Would it be wise to walk on ice and through rainy/slushy Chicago winters in the rubber soled C&J Hallam, or would I be damaging the shoe? Obviously, I wouldn't be outside shoveling snow in any of these shoes; this would be purely for walking to/from work and other similar events. One thing to consider is that my commute is to a client and not my own personal office, so I can't just wear my winter boots to work and then change on arrival.

Two, I have spent a lot of time trying to find the right combination of shoes. I don't have a huge budget, but I really appreciate the quality of higher end shoes, so I need to find what works best for me with just a few pairs. That said, I realize the Audley and Hallam are basically the same look. I would prefer the Belgrave for shoe #2, but the red tinted brown doesn't do it for me. I do really like the Dark Brown Antique Calf color of the Audley.... So my question is this.. is there another non-chestnut colored brown C&J shoe on either the 337 or 348 last I should consider? I like a punch cap toe, but I can't seem to find any that fit my requirements..

Third, I tried on a C&J Hallam in 7.5E UK while in London recently, and they were actually not so bad. Definitely snug, but the leather felt soft and it seemed like it would stretch. If they fit in this way, should I stick with that 7.5E UK, or go with the 8.0E UK which also seemed to fit fine.. just not so tight? I guess the question is, will the 8.0's stretch later to the point where they are loose? I am typically a 9.0D US in just about everything I try on, and an 8.5 AE Perry I just tried was too tight, so normal sizing conventions suggest I go with the "size down 1" for C&J UK sizing and stick with the 8.0E UK.

Thanks..
 

thinman

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2005
Messages
4,926
Reaction score
45
Your ideas aren't bad, but I have two alternative suggestions:

1) check ebay (esp. seller grapevinehill) for Polo Tellmans, a captoe oxford made by C&J. A pair of NIB black Tellmans in my size just sold for $150, while I was without web access.


2) My choice for foul weather shoes is a pair of burgundy pebble-grain bluchers with a Dainite sole, available from Brooks Brothers (wait for a sale). AFAIK, they're made by AS and the burgundy color means you can wear them with virtually any color trousers. Realize that the pebble-grain does make them more casual than most other bluchers.

I don't think you'd go wrong with the C&Js you list, though. You might need to special order a Hallam with Dainite sole, thus cutting into the savings you'd gain from buying 2 pairs instead of 3.
 

briancl

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2005
Messages
1,220
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by thinman
Your ideas aren't bad, but I have two alternative suggestions:

1) check ebay (esp. seller grapevinehill) for Polo Tellmans, a captoe oxford made by C&J. A pair of NIB black Tellmans in my size just sold for $150, while I was without web access.


2) My choice for foul weather shoes is a pair of burgundy pebble-grain bluchers with a Dainite sole, available from Brooks Brothers (wait for a sale). AFAIK, they're made by AS and the burgundy color means you can wear them with virtually any color trousers. Realize that the pebble-grain does make them more casual than most other bluchers.

I don't think you'd go wrong with the C&Js you list, though. You might need to special order a Hallam with Dainite sole, thus cutting into the savings you'd gain from buying 2 pairs instead of 3.


I think you are right about the Dainite sole. Also, I did some searching.. Tellman's are hard to find it seems.

Right now my decision is being guided by the assumption that I should spend the higher dollar amount on the brown shoe (Handgrade Audley) as opposed to the black shoe (Benchgrade Hallam). Does this sound right? Should I sacrifice quality and drop my brown shoe selection to a benchgrade in order to get a bit more variety, or is it worthwhile to upgrade to the Handgrade?
 

TKDKid

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2004
Messages
680
Reaction score
6
Originally Posted by briancl
My question is this: should I bother with this shoe at all? Could I serve my same purpose with just a single dainite sole C&J Hallam in Black Cavalry Calf, and combine shoe #1 and #3? Would it be wise to walk on ice and through rainy/slushy Chicago winters in the rubber soled C&J Hallam, or would I be damaging the shoe? Obviously, I wouldn't be outside shoveling snow in any of these shoes; this would be purely for walking to/from work and other similar events. One thing to consider is that my commute is to a client and not my own personal office, so I can't just wear my winter boots to work and then change on arrival.

I wear these as my bad-weather shoes:



- they've held up well in the rain and snow.

I do really like the Dark Brown Antique Calf color of the Audley.... So my question is this.. is there another non-chestnut colored brown C&J shoe on either the 337 or 348 last I should consider? I like a punch cap toe, but I can't seem to find any that fit my requirements.
If you're willing to try the 341 last and have more brogueing, the Westfield is nice:



Pic courtesy of forum member benjamin831.
 

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2008
Messages
1,686
Reaction score
2
I just bring a pair of these when I know there's going to be bad weather:

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/1660495/c/3.html

I personally don't buy the idea of a dedicated poor-weather shoe, unless it's old and worn out (something I wouldn't want to wear with a suit anyway). Plus, with the overshoes, my shoes become completely waterproof and the soles are protected from salt and sand. Those particular Tingleys can be found for around $25 most places, I believe, and really don't look that bad- when it's raining, no one's looking anyway.

Take the money you'd spend on the AE's and either get two handgrades, or get a third pair of CJ that you will actually want to wear, as opposed to the AE's that you really don't like even before buying.
 

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2004
Messages
6,555
Reaction score
137
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
I personally don't buy the idea of a dedicated poor-weather shoe, unless it's old and worn out (something I wouldn't want to wear with a suit anyway).

well, my bad weather shoes are of the same general quality as my good weather shoes - they just have dainite soles or commando half soles.

I wear a lot of AE (even over my EG's and C&J, the AE aesthetic suits me better) and my "bad weather shoes" are just other shoes with a rubber sole.

on the other hand, i live in the DC area, so not too much salt and snow (although some).
 

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
10,877
Reaction score
55
Westfields...
 

contaygious

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2008
Messages
456
Reaction score
6
I have onslows from PLAL, but only worn them 3 times and still need to get them stretched as my heels are still recovering from blisters. Damn double soled shoes are SO stiff!
 

HappymaN

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2006
Messages
110
Reaction score
0
I wear the 348 in 8.5UK. I was fitted for all my C&J's in London (Burlington Arcade), and the fitter assured me that the 8.5UK, although rather tight in the store (especially where the throat closes, and where my little toe is), would turn out OK after some wear. Sure enough, after a week or so, they fit perfectly, and now, they are even a little loose. I'd recommend that you go for a slightly firm fit, because they definitely do stretch.
 

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
10,877
Reaction score
55
Originally Posted by contaygious
I have onslows from PLAL, but only worn them 3 times and still need to get them stretched as my heels are still recovering from blisters. Damn double soled shoes are SO stiff!

If they're just pulling on your heels, stretching may not help and may hurt. Have you tried just grabbing them in both hands and giving them a good bend or two?
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

  • JW Anderson x Uniqlo

  • Nigo x Virgil Abloh

  • Converse x Midnight Studios

  • Rick Owens x Champion

  • Barbour x Engineered Garments

  • Adidas x Bed JW Ford

  • Jordan Brand x Dior

  • Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

  • Lego x Levi's


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
447,024
Messages
9,669,355
Members
202,028
Latest member
arqtelnally
Top