• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finding shirt that fits with V-Neck sweater

mlg321

Reaction score
So I bought this black V-Neck sweater today, with the intention of wearing a shirt under it, but the shirts I tried on had collars too big or the shirt was too long.

Though it looked okay (I think?) if I buttoned all the way up, I thought it looked maybe a bit too conservative. Kinda hard to explain but, can anybody tell me if there's some type of collars that are smaller/shorter or that fit with this kind of sweater?

Thanks!

beansprouts1

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
you can always wear a tie with it. if you want your collars to pop out of the vneck, almost any shirt should be fine, and it should go without saying that the shirt should fit as close or closer to your body than the vneck. if you want your collars to stay in, i would get either a dress shirt with thicker cotton so the collars stay rather than collapse or a buttoned collar shirt.

mlg321

Reaction score
Originally Posted by beansprouts1
you can always wear a tie with it. if you want your collars to pop out of the vneck, almost any shirt should be fine, and it should go without saying that the shirt should fit as close or closer to your body than the vneck. if you want your collars to stay in, i would get either a dress shirt with thicker cotton so the collars stay rather than collapse or a buttoned collar shirt.
What do you mean the shirt should fit as close or closer to my body than the vneck? And, wearing a tie would be good but for the event I'm going to I think it would be too dressed up. But I will try it later for sure.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlg321
So I bought this black V-Neck sweater today, with the intention of wearing a shirt under it, but the shirts I tried on had collars too big or the shirt was too long.

Tuck it in?

mlg321

Reaction score
Originally Posted by James Bond
Tuck it in?
Sorry I guess I didn't express myself clearly. I meant there is too much of the shirt at the top of the V-Neck (it sticks up too much?), so it's kinda loose between the bottom of the V-Neck and the collar of the shirt I'm wearing under. I wasn't talking about the bottom of the sweater and the shirt by my belt.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
am i the only one that doesn't understand how that works?

either your shirt is too big or the sweater is too small....that's all i can think of.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
get a shirt with a button down collar? Wearing a tie with a v neck is almost never too dressed up for anything especially with say, jeans.

beansprouts1

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Sorry I guess I didn't express myself clearly. I meant there is too much of the shirt at the top of the V-Neck (it sticks up too much?), so it's kinda loose between the bottom of the V-Neck and the collar of the shirt I'm wearing under.

I wasn't talking about the bottom of the sweater and the shirt by my belt.

i can only fathom 2 reasons for this happening. either the sweater is off center and the back is stretched, causing the front to be lowered. you can try pulling on the back of the sweater, especially near the shoulder area to see if that helps. other than that, some sweaters are just designed like that so more of your pretty shirt/tie will show.

ChicagoJohn

Reaction score
Sorry I guess I didn't express myself clearly. I meant there is too much of the shirt at the top of the V-Neck (it sticks up too much?), so it's kinda loose between the bottom of the V-Neck and the collar of the shirt I'm wearing under.

I wasn't talking about the bottom of the sweater and the shirt by my belt.

Your problem is psychosomatic. There isn't too much collar and a tie is never "too formal". Wear it with jeans if you feel more comfortable. It's just finding your style and comfort level, but I think you probably look great.

I wear ties regularly with shirts and sweaters. To work, out on weekend afternoons, and to bars/clubs. It's not too formal at all. What makes it look poorly is your eyes and expression. If you feel uncomfortable, you'll look ridiculous regardless. Put it on and get used to it. Then rock it. You probably look great, dude.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
am i the only one that doesn't understand how that works?

either your shirt is too big or the sweater is too small....that's all i can think of.

sounds like it to me too.. Or the neck hole is oversized..

I wear tons of sweaters with shirts and ties, and never have those problems with a lot of different combinations.

yo!

Reaction score
Here is a little hint.

Every single store in the mall will be having merino sweaters for $30 after Christmas.

In fact, I went to Bloomingdale's today and they are already $27.50.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear a collared shirt. A t-shirt makes you look like Chandler Bing. And wear as small a shirt as you can - any bulk in the shirt will be evident under the sweater.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads