1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Finding Bigfoot

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by idfnl, Jan 30, 2012.

1. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

^Maybe it was a BF, and it was he who set the bombs. If they are as cunning, intelligent and sneaky and idnfl would have us believe, maybe this is the start of their campaign to conquer North America.

On a more serious note, the silhouetted guy on the rooftop does look like a lot of these BF photos that turn up, if not as robust as the famous "Patti."

1 person likes this.
  2. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Wow, if real, its amazing....

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

3. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

^Well, if that stuff is the straight goods, which I very much doubt, at the rate that guy is chumming up the Sasquatch, the mystery should be solved very shortly.

On another topic, when we talk about scientists who accepted the existence of Sasquatch and similar man-apes, we must give a tip of the hat to the two men who really founded the discipline (if you want to call it that) of cryptozoology. The first of these would be Ivan T. Sanderson, who took a degree in zoology from Cambridge University and followed it up with additional degrees in botany and ethnology, also from Cambridge. He had a TV show in the 1950s in which he talked about animals--no crypto stuff, as I remember. His book Abominable Snowmen--Legend Come to Life was a very comprehensive look at about these reported critters: the Yet and its cogeners, the Almas, the Kaptars, the Orang Pendek, the Sasquatch/Bigfoot, the Sisimite, the Didi and the Mapinguary, just to name some. However, the better part of a half century has elapsed since he wrote that book, and none of these creatures has yet been scientifically verified.

The other would be Bernard Heuvelmans, who had a doctorate in zoology from the Free University of Brussels. His 1958 book On the Track of Unknown Animals was a favorite of mine in the days of my late adolescence and early adulthood. Again, none of the mystery beasts he discussed has ever been verified.

Sanderson and Heuvelmans were sometime collaborations, most notably in their investigation of the Minnesota Iceman, which has sometimes been discussed in this thread.

4. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

^ are books like this still in print?

Check this guy out

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

5. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Possible Bigfoot knocking down a tree....

From 2:42 to 2:46 there is something moving right next to the tree that eventually falls.

From 4:18 to 4:35 the fall is looped a few times, a biped moves from right to left as the tree is coming down.

Adjust the resolution to 480

6. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

This guy does a great breakdown.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

7. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

^Well, wouldn't that be something if that turns out to be the real deal? And in Massachusetts, yet! The egg would sure be on my skeptical face--I should have remained a believer after all.

However, I'm not going to hold my breath.

8. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

After looking into the matter, I am all but certain that it is a bear paw.

9. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I am not sure. You could probably check it out easily enough. In any event, all the information contained therein and much more besides can be found in the various "Crypto" websites like Cryptomundo.

While we are on the subject of crypto beasts, among the perennial favorites are "black panthers" sighted in North America (and other places where they are not supposed to be). Of course, this is different from BFs because there are actual black panthers in captivity in North America and sometimes they do escape. I can remember when country singer Stuart Hamblen shot an escaped black panther (a little thing--only weighed 70 pounds) in 1963, shortly before I went to Oxford. (I have a sense I may have discussed mystery black panthers before in this thread.) However, I believe the overwhelming majority of these sightings involve black dogs or black housecats, Feral housecats can get quite huge in few generations.

What brought this to mind recently was that I was manning the Tosa breed booth at the America's Family Pet Expo at the Orange County Fairgrounds last Friday and Saturday afternoons with my all-black Tosa Cyrus. Anyway, Cyrus was lying in the booth looking up with his baleful yellow eyes when a young woman remarked that when she first saw him, she thought he was a black panther! Now if a big, friendly, floppy-eared dog can be mistaken for a black panther at a distance of only a few feet, you can see the potential for misidentifications in the woods.

Interestingly, there was an actual black panther at the Pet Expo, displayed by an exotic animal rescue group. It was securely caged and obviously not in a position to make contact with the public as Cyrus and I were. I have heard a story of a Tosa whipping a leopard in a pit match. However, I wouldn't have wanted Cyrus anywhere near that black devil--he looked like death incarnate!

10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

This doc is in post prod.... OMG this community is full of nutters.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  11. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

^Hope these screwballs don't bump off some poor hiker or other outdoor enthusiast in their mistaken zeal.

12. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

This business about people keeping exotic animals really does have to stop. Many of the people that do are total rednecks and could never afford the amount of food they consume. Has anyone seen the price of meat lately? Many of these rednecks will rely on poaching and hunting to feed the animals and when they don't succeed the animals just don't eat.

In addition, they're kept in horrific shit cages. Often times these animals are abandoned, and they end up in these rescue facilities which can barely support them. It's very sad.

Anyway, to your point. I'm sure there are a few Black Panthers out there in the wild because of keeping exotic animals in captivity. But I'm also sure you're correct, misidentification is common. I didn't know feral cats got so big so quickly. That's interesting.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  13. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

The whole question of keeping exotic animals is fraught with moral complexity. If it is legitimate for a zoo to keep a wild animal captive, why should it be wrong for a private citizen to do so? And what about private zoos that are open to the public? And why should wild animals be more sacrosanct than domestic animals? Viscerally, I feel much worse when I hear about a tiger or leopard being kept in squalid, cramped conditions than I do a pig (where it is more or less commonplace). But isn't this more a matter of aesthetics and custom? The pig is probably at least as intelligent, if not more so, than the tiger.

I am doubtful whether most of the people keeping exotic big cats are "rednecks." I don't hobnob with too many people who could be considered rednecks. None of those I do know own exotics. I have known three people who have privately owned tigers. One was a professional animal trainer, so she probably gets a pass. Another is actually a women's commune that keeps a number of exotic cats and other wild animals. The third was a wealthy German woman who kept a private menagerie consisting of a white tiger, two mountain lions and two leopards on a ranch in Texas. In all, I consider the practice more eccentric than "redneck-y." Usually you have to have a fair amount of money to feed and cage these animals.

I first learned about this business of feral cats getting larger from a geography professor in college about 53 years ago. This is particularly marked in Australia, where some feral housecats seem to be growing to leopard-size. At first, this was pooh-pooeh by many naturalists and placed in the same category as BFs, but there now seems to be excellent evidence that it is true. Do a web search for "Gippsland giant cat," if you're interested.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  14. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Arkansas:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

15. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Glad to see you back, idfnl. I was getting a little worried about you.

1 person likes this.
  16. Kai

Kai Senior member

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  17. Tangfastic

Tangfastic Senior member

I think I may be more interested in hearing stories about a women's commune that keeps exotic cats than I am about Bigfoot sitings...

18. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

^Well, if you are interested in their dog-breeding and showing activities, which is how I know them, you can visit their website: www.dogstarkennels.com.

19. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member