1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Finding Bigfoot

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by idfnl, Jan 30, 2012.

1. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

2. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I'm in trouble

[​IMG]

3. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

[​IMG]
    Created by Oatmeal
    Test is flawed. what if I get a female Bigfoot. My chances go dramatically up among other things.

4. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

If you or anyone here could get it up for a female Bigfoot, he's more of a man than I am!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  5. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

The scoring suggests that Harvey might be able to.

6. Anthony K

Anthony K Senior member

12% for me as well :(

7. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

On a more serious note, I see that studies at Oxford have re-dated the extinction of Neanderthals in Europe to a much earlier date, some thousands of years before the coming of the Moderns. In a lot of ways, that makes more sense to me than scenarios in which the Neanderthals just "faded away" before the advancing Moderns. I should have expected there would be conflict over hunting grounds, caves and other resources if the two kinds of humans had come in contact, but to the best of my knowledge, no evidence of that sort (cloven skulls, whatever) has ever been unearthed. Neanderthals and Moderns did displace each other several times in occupying the area around Israel over the millennia, and this might have provided the occasion for genetic interchange, if such indeed happened, which still seems open to question.

Also, I see that public opinion polls are running strongly against cloning a Neanderthal although I am not sure why.

More germane to this thread, I learned that some "advanced erectus" populations in Africa of the Homo heidelbergensis/Homo rhodesiensis type were pretty gigantic, massively built and over seven feet tall. Some have suggested that BFs could be descended from this stock, which lived about 300 thousand years ago. I rather doubt this as the advanced erecti seem altogether too human for that role.

8. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Do you have a link? Sounds interesting.

Do you have a link for this as well? I seem to recall that the tallest estimate for Homo Erectus comes from Turkana Boy, extrapolating from the youngest estimate of his age at death gives a height of around 6 feet as an adult if he had survived. Most if not all other fossil remains put the average height much shorter than this.

9. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

If you do a web search on Neanderthals I think a lot of this stuff should come up.

Check the Wikipedia article on Homo rhodesiensis for the stuff about the giants. I gather there is a paleontologist in South Africa who claims to have found the remains of the giants. Rhodesiensis' European cousin Heidelbergensis is supposed to have been of average human height, about 5'8" for males, 5'2" for females, which is considerably taller than the Neanderthals, to whom Heidelbergensis is supposed to be ancestral. His African counterpart Rhodesiensis is thought to be ancestral to us Moderns.

Of course there are huge variations in height among Moderns: I believe some of the tribesmen of the Central or South Sudan average about 6'6", while not too terribly far away the pygmies of the Ituri forest are only about 4 1/2 feet tall.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Look to the left at the very end of the clip

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

11. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I think another potential source for the large ancient human is Meganthropus. Unfortunately the number of finds associated with this sub-species is very small. From what has been found its been estimated they were 8 feet tall and weighted between 400 - 600 pounds.

[​IMG]

12. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

^There was early speculation to that effect, but it is by no means certain that Meganthropus was, in fact, a giant.

13. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

With the limited data there is, its much larger than the other Homo Erectus derived species alive at the time. It seems to be somewhere between Erectus and Giganticopithicus.

Even without Meganthropus, Giganticopithicus is impossible to refute, and we're talking about an 11 foot ape.

Giganticopithicus is compelling for me because of its Asian origins which lend credence to the idea of Yeti feeding Sasquatch in N America. What I cannot explain is this notion of the split happening 15k years ago. That doesn't add up.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  14. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

^The skull reconstructed by Grover Kranz wasn't that big. I think Meganthropus had a very big jaw and that threw the size estimates off.

15. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

This is not my strongest area, but that said, my understanding of the Kranz reconstruction was he speculated it was 9 feet + tall and 600 to 700 pounds. There have been finds since then which lend credence to the idea it was significantly larger than Erectus. 8 feet? Who knows, we dont know enough, but its safe to say it was larger.

16. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

^Well, Krantz's reconstructed head is a good deal smaller than my head. Obviously, my cranial dome is a good deal bigger, but then my jaw is a good deal smaller. If the critter was anywhere near even seven feet tall, it sure must have been a pinhead. I mean, I'm a fairly big guy, but I'm not that big!

17. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I'm mixing up names. I'm thinking of a guy named Franz Weidenreich. Problem with Meganthropus is so few bones so its hard to judge.

This is pretty cool, if you sort by age you can see how we've changed. There are some pretty BF looking mofos in our past...

http://humanorigins.si.edu/evidence/human-fossils/species

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  18. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

At last, the search is over. I have found Bigfoot and solved the mystery.

[​IMG]

19. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Yeah, but almost all the "BF-looking mofos" are little guys. I don't think any of the prehumans there is larger than a modern human.

20. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

We're regularly discovering more and more variations of humans. We found homo floresiensis (the hobbits) a few years ago, they are 1/2 our size, why wouldn't it be possible for something to be 2x our size we just haven't found yet?

Gigantopithecus is proven and its 10 feet tall. That right there says there is space in between. And Gigantopithecus existed even 100,000 years ago, yesterday in evolutionary terms and along side of modern humans. Krantz even suggested it was bi-pedal.

Breaking news:

https://www.facebook.com/norbenp