• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finding Bigfoot

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Y'know, we may give idfni and other Bigfoot believers a hard time for credulity, but religious belief sure seems to get a free pass:

Last month, a man who firmly believes that a mighty Jewish civilization flourished in the New World for a thousand years and then vanished without leaving a single shred of physical evidence was very nearly elected president. His victorious opponent seemingly acquiesced in the bizarre rantings and conjectures of his pastor for many a year.

If I really wanted to be irreverent, I could say that there is better evidence for the existence of Bigfoot than for the Resurrection of Jesus. At least a lot more people claim to have seen a Bigfoot than are reported to have encountered the Risen Christ.

Just for fun, when I have a bit more time in the next couple of days, I may try to make out as strong a case for the existence of the Sasquatch/Bigfoot as I can

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I would rather see you do the case for Atlantis, Jan.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Y'know, we may give idfni and other Bigfoot believers a hard time for credulity, but religious belief sure seems to get a free pass:
Last month, a man who firmly believes that a mighty Jewish civilization flourished in the New World for a thousand years and then vanished without leaving a single shred of physical evidence was very nearly elected president. His victorious opponent seemingly acquiesced in the bizarre rantings and conjectures of his pastor for many a year.
If I really wanted to be irreverent, I could say that there is better evidence for the existence of Bigfoot than for the Resurrection of Jesus. At least a lot more people claim to have seen a Bigfoot than are reported to have encountered the Risen Christ.
Just for fun, when I have a bit more time in the next couple of days, I may try to make out as strong a case for the existence of the Sasquatch/Bigfoot as I can

I can't wait:fonz:

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are you saying that doesn't exist either?

I'm sure it does. When I was young I saw Man from Atlantis on TV for several years.

Last edited:

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Actually, I do have a theory about how Plato came up with the story of Atlantis. I have never seen anybody mention this, but I do think it is significant that during Plato's lifetime two cities on the coast of Achaea were obliterated by earthquakes and the ensuing tsunamis. As my old Greek history prof Truesdell Brown remarked, his theory was that once Plato had created this imaginary continent, he had to get rid of it somehow, so he sank it under the Ocean. I probably should get around to reading the Timaeus sometime before I die.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Actually, I do have a theory about how Plato came up with the story of Atlantis. I have never seen anybody mention this, but I do think it is significant that during Plato's lifetime two cities on the coast of Achaea were obliterated by earthquakes and the ensuing tsunamis. As my old Greek history prof Truesdell Brown remarked, his theory was that once Plato had created this imaginary continent, he had to get rid of it somehow, so he sank it under the Ocean. I probably should get around to reading the Timaeus sometime before I die.

This is why you'd be just the person to do Atlantis.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I could use the help :)

This video was very recently published. I think its the best look at a Bigfoot's face we have ever seen. It was taken by a camper from within his tent. When the guy turned the iphone camera on, the BF turns and makes direct eye contact.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Despite the hokey commentary, this guy breaks the vid down, and you can see the original video that was taken:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This show is a fun watch.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I read Timaeus and Critias a long time ago. I don't remember much, though I liked the way the story of Atlantis is attributed to Egyptian priests who say Atlantis was as old to our (Egyptian) civilisation as we are to you Greeks, thought that was a good hook and added authenticity. I've not looked into serious explanations for Atlantis in a while (I prefer the slipping into an other dimension sort, much more fun and hard to disprove), but remember the distruction of the island of Thera around 1500 BC was the popular one. This fits the model of an advanced old civilisation known to the Egyptians at least.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, yesterday I said I'd make the best case for the existence of Bigfoot/Sasquatch that I can.

It is a matter of record that throughout much of the previous century, there was a long history of sightings and footprints in the Pacific Northwest. These were assiduously chronicled by B.C. journalist John Green.I tend to give much more credence to reports that occurred before Bigfoot was boffo, I'll mention: If an Indian in B.C. said in 1940 he saw a Sasquatch...well, maybe. If a guy in 2012 says he saw a Bigfoot in western Maryland, I don't believe it. Yes, some of the early reports were fraudulent or implausible. For example, "Jacko," an ape-creature captured near a railway in British Columbia in 1887 and much beloved of Bigfootists, has been proved to be a journalistic hoax. Some of the other stories--Fred Beck's accountof being besieged in a cabin by a troop of enraged "apes" or Albert Ostman's account of being kidnapped by a family of Sasquatches--seem inherently improbable. Some of the others are harder to brush off. For example, William Roe's account of meeting a female Sasquatch on Mica Mountain in B.C. in 1955 is not sensationalistic and contains a wealth of detail. If Roe was liar, he was a damn good liar! All these sightings describe a similar creature--an apelike humanoid or a manlike ape, in most cases appreciably larger than all but the most gigantic humans.

Then there are the tracks. Many of these are undoubtedly the work of hoaxers, the most notorious of these being the huge tracks "discovered" at a construction site by Jerry Crew in Bluff Creek in 1958 that really put the Bigfoot/Sasquatch in the limelight. However, others seem more anatomically correct, so much so that they have stymied some trained forensic investigators in discerning fakery. Many BF trails are found in out of the way places where discovery by a human would be most unlikely and cover terrain so rugged that it would be difficult or outright dangerous for a hoaxer to negotiate wearing oversize fake feet.

I have a friend who actually investigated a Sasquatch trail. In the course of my work, I have dealt with many seasoned outdoorsmen and veteran big game hunters, many of them with extensive experience in hunting the Pacific Northwest. With a solitary exception, they were all dismissive when the subject of the existence the Sasquatch/Bigfoot came up. The one exception is a Washington based outdoor journalist (a former NRA Board member) who in the course of his previous journalistic gig got to know just about all of the "Bigfoot Pantheon," as he put it, and he is the one who investigated the Sasquatch trail. As to the existence of Bigfoot, he told me he thought "there might well be something to it."

The eminent primatologist John Napier investigated this matter and published a book Bigfoot: The Yeti and Sasquatch in Myth and Reality. In concluding this book, he writes:

"I am convinced that the Sasquatch exists, but whether it is all that it is cracked up to be is another matter altogether. There must be something in north-west America that needs explaining, and that something leaves man-like footprints."

However, forty years have elapsed since Napier wrote those words. There are a hundred million more people in the United States than there were then, and many of them engage in outdoor recreational pursuits that take them into Bigfoot country. However, we are no further along in solving this mystery, and that is why I am now in the ranks of the skeptics. Still, I wouldn't say a man is a fool for believing in the reality of the Sasquatch, at least in the Northwest, and wouldn't be entirely dumbfounded if one actually did turn up someday.

I might mention that some large mammals have been discovered in my lifetime--two species of peccary in South America and strange animal intermediate between an ox and an antelope in northern Vietnam. However, none of the cryptozoological "superstars" of my young manhood have ever been verified: The Yeti, Sasquatch, Almas, Kaptars and the other man-apes; the Nandi Bear or the Mngwa (a mystery big cat in Africa); the Mokele-Mbembe (a dinosaur-like critter in central Africa); the Queensland Marsupial Tiger; the sundry lake monsters--none of them!

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ Jane Goodhall as well

I've talked to so many Native Americans who all describe the same sounds, two who have seen them. I've probably got about, oh, thirty books that have come from different parts of the world, from China from, from all over the place, and there was a little tiny snippet in the newspaper just last week which says that British scientists have found what they believed to be a yeti hair and that the scientists in the Natural History Museum in London couldn't identify it as any known animal.

This blog focuses on historical sightings:

http://bigfootchicks.blogspot.com/

Read this the other day:

http://www.ksla.com/story/20286819/bigfoot-hunter-to-build-blimp-to-aid-in-search

Meldrum says the Zeppelin will be state of the art. Filled with high tech equipment, and infrared cameras that will give researchers the best possible chance of spotting a Sasquatch.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bigfoot Chicks, eh? I must say Melissa "Siren" Adair is pretty cute. Between her and Dr. Melba it's nice to see a bit of the ol' sex appeal coming into the hitherto masculine world of Sasquatchery. (I just coined that word!)

On a more serious note, since this thread started, I have been looking at a lot of different BF websites and blogs. Just given the immense amount of public interest in the topic and the number of investigators out there these days, you'd think they'd turn something up...if there were anything to turn up!

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On reflection, I just wonder if the Bigfoot Chicks aren't bucking for some kind of reality show gig. Their chances might be better if "Siren" ditched "Venus" for a more winsome sidekick.

This thread, which has been so enjoyable, seems to have burnt itself out. I hope my long post wasn't the cause.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads