Finding Bigfoot

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by idfnl, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I know which end of that unicorn you're interested in :smarmy:

2. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Too pointy for my tastes.

3. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    [​IMG]

4. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

Well, if they have human rights you can have sex with them.

5. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

All good things do come to an end unfortunately.

6. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Why? It's not like Big Foot is the last of his species, there is and only every was one Big Foot. He's a monster not some stupid animal.

7. Tangfastic

Tangfastic Senior member

Any actual evidence for either side of this? I'm on the Bigfoot is theoretically possible side and I'd love it to be found. It would swing my view from possible to very unlikely if it were true there were thousands of non bigfoot large animals killed in a catastrophic event in an area with a high frequency of Bigfoot sightings and no Bigfoot corpses. If I were a complete loon I'd argue Bigfeet were clever enough to spot the signs of an imminent eruption and clear out, or there had been some cover up in the count, but I'm not that far gone.

I'd just like to point out a few basic points again though... It is thought a breeding population of as little as 3000 individuals could keep the species going, there are n gazillion square miles of wilderness for each of these 3000 clever, nocturnal animals to hide in in the USA, and there are an awful lot of consistent sightings recorded over a very long period of time.

8. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

^If you do a search on the topic of the Mt. St. Helen's eruption, it is estimated that 7,000 big game animals were killed. I believe lots of bodies were found in the blowdown area.

I would also ask the question, why are Bigfoots so rare? They have no natural enemies (well, maybe grizzlies in the northern part of the purported habitat), they have no human persecution, so why are there so few of them. By way of comparison, mountain lions were given full protection in California 40-odd years ago. Despite poaching and culling of nuisance animals, their numbers have increased about tenfold since then (from about 600 to maybe 6,000). Black bears have increased their population three or fourfold in California in the past 30 years--from about 10,000 to between 30,000 and 40,000--and have expanded their range considerably, taking over a lot of what was formerly grizzly country.

My own view of the matter, given that there is a long legacy of sightings and stories of Sasquatch in the Pacific Northwest and that some tracks turn up in very out of the way places, is that there is a slight chance that something of that sort does exist. However, when you start getting sightings in the California desert, in the vicinity of Fort Worth, Texas, in Delaware, etc., I tend to think this is some kind of psychological thing, much like the Chupacabra craze among the Hispanic population some years back.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012

9. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    I'm sorry that this thread exists.

10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Same could be said for you 12k posts.

11. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Mt St Helens. Considering the small number of Sasquatches there are suspected to be (around 10k in N America, its very possible they were either buried in the muck or were never found. I would be surprised if at least 1 didn't die. Its also possible they sensed the eruption. The Asian tsunami proved its possible.

The difference with Sasquatch populations is that it's likely our human development into their territories is met differently than other animals. Remember, these are likely humanoid, so they don't react like a typical animal. I would guess a - impact on their populations.

I agree, many sightings are likely misidentification, but all those sightings cannot be false. If you were to do statistical analysis on it, I am sure it would demonstrate a 99.9% probability that the animal exists. Having rudimentary statistics skills, I think its virtually impossible there are this many hoaxes, liars and misidentifications. Statistics should show, on its own, its very improbable that Sasquatch doesn't exist.

12. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

The number is likely 10k in N America. Combine the vast, vast expanses of spaces and a nocturnal predator and you have a pretty convincing case as to why they are rarely viewed. Note that it was just in the last decade we have confirmed the Bili Ape, the worlds largest chimp.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bili_ape

13. Harold falcon

Me too. Jr I feel like we're the only two sane ones on the internet. Of course Bigfoot doesn't exist. I'm at a complete loss to understand why someone would believe otherwise.

14. Harold falcon

Next time you cite "statistics" in CE I'm quoting this.

15. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

You have no math skills, Harvey. And you condone fucking animals. You're the last person to have a comment taken seriously.

You could easily correlate a few variable on the topic and show its unlikely so many reports indicate its fake. I've also not cited any statistics, just that my (admitted) limited capacity to do some statistical analysis makes this being a false positive very unlikely.

I you have any means to prove what I suspect is somehow false, please, by all means.