1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Finding affordable menswear? (chicago)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tdellaringa, Feb 2, 2016.

1. tdellaringa

tdellaringa Well-Known Member

You're right, the shoulders do look too padded.

My problem with eBay is that it IS a gamble, and I cannot afford to gamble with my money. Fit is the most important thing, and I can't try it on. In the store I tried jackets on from 39S to 40R that fit, depending on the jacket. Even ones that "fit" needed work. Same thing with buying online with Yoox.

The jacket I REALLY want is something like this:

https://jhilburn.com/products/dark_navy_gabardine_sportcoat_k3d

I have a stylist there, and I have ordered my first shirt. But it would take me some time to save what will end up being $600.

2. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Your first jacket needs to be dark blue. And you need to actually try on a bunch of them in real life to be sure it fits as perfectly as possible.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the jacket you linked to. But it's not a priority for you given your budget and location.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  3. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Your first pair of shoes should be black. Your second pair should be dark brown. Not light brown, and no gimmicky fashiony nonsense like contrasting heels.

You're not a 25 year old aiming for the Streetwear and Denim crowd. You're a 50 year old mature man who is trying to dress classically stylish. And we want to help you get there.

1 person likes this.
  4. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

By the way, what's the context for these clothes? Will you be wearing them for work? Socializing? Both?

5. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

6. tdellaringa

I probably should have given context first, not sure I did. I work at a large insurance company in a management position. The dress there is very business casual. Lots of loafers, untucked shirts, jeans, button down shirts, khakis, etc - even among managers depending on the person. I am in the UX/Design group. I also plan on wearing this stuff in social settings - meeting with friends, etc.

Black is overly dress IMO. I also don't like black. Not many of even the senior leadership wears black. Brown is more than sufficient. I can tell that even in my inexpertness, dressing up has been noticed and complimented - a lot. I'm doing something at least half right.

My God those 2nd pair of shoes are ugly to me. They might be nice and even stylish, but I would never wear those. And I may be 50, but I am not going to dress like an old man - and I don't look like one either. Those look like a pair of shoes a grandpa would wear. The first ones are very nice.

Here is my first pair of shoes I have been wearing.
    https://photos.google.com/u/0/photo/AF1QipNWU4aBgBuMgjFatSNJO3kifDuXiZqy2Gc2Ibuq

(They are in need of a polish, that is on my list for today.)

I get that the contrasting blue on the shoes I bought is outside the "classic" circle. I'm okay with that. Isn't some style meant to be personal? Also, my wife absolutely loves them, and that counts for something :) I'm okay with trying some different things. The stuff I have been reading says know the rules then break them here and there. I knew these were a bit on the edge when I bought them.

I'm not sure what to do about the jacket at this point. I looked a lot on Zoos - they have a lot of crap. I just cannot see ordering a jacket online without trying it on. I tried on a bunch yesterday and a couple days ago. Carson Pirie Scott does have this one:

http://www.carsons.com/sc1/men/mens...-fit-blue-sharkskin-suit-separate-867509.html

Not sure if the store has that exact one by me or not.

Appreciate the help (hope my differing opinion on the shoes isn't ruffling feathers.)

7. David Reeves

David Reeves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

In fairness, perhaps you are undervaluing clothing and maybe it should be prioritized a little more? We have been spoiled for years with mass manufactured and often unethically made clothing with an emphasis on $ value. Clothing used to be a lot more expensive but people valued it more as well, perhaps as they do now a home, car or watch.

Its interesting that Savile Row had a large middle class customer base at one point and the interesting thing was that a Savile Row suit was always usually a months wages for a lower middle class man, thats quite a lot to spend and I am sure they didn't do it every other month but those people valued those clothes.

Now if you say you just flat out can't pay for nicer clothes, well I think you just have to sacrifice or cut your cloth according to your means.

8. David Reeves

yep those shoes are ugly.....

9. tdellaringa

Well, I like the shoes. What are you going to do. A certain amount of style is subjective.

Our monthly budget is super tight. We are trying to get out of debt and prepare two kids for college. Quite frankly, I took the money for the AMEX earmarked for this pay period to buy a new shirt. Probably shouldn't have done it.

That's why I'm looking at places like MW. I don't have much choice.

10. David Reeves

No I agree with you about the grandpa shoes.

Well we all have choices and priorities, myself I wouldn't break my back putting my three kids through college, I'd rather help them set up a business or have them work for me, I went to college and looking back it was a huge waste of money......mainly on rum.

1 person likes this.
  11. tdellaringa

That's a whole other conversation! :D

Look, if I had my way - I'd spend thousands on a new wardrobe. I would love to do that. Maybe someday.

12. tdellaringa

13. Seamless

Seamless Senior member

Indochina, see what I did there, has had more horror stories then good from what I've seen. I would opt for a in person mtm before online. Easier is something is wrong to have a qualified tailor and the person familiar with the measurement system they are using to do it then yourself with a tape measure and a mirror.

14. David Reeves

It sure is!

Well you know the thing is though to start somewhere, try and maybe do one very nice sport coat a year or one nice suit, after 5 years hey you have 5 really nice suits or so. Something like a tweed jacket is good because you can wear it 9 months out of the year (at least here in NYC). You don't need a ton of clothes, try to go for the quality, you heard about the news anchor who wore the same navy suit for a year and no one noticed?

For business all I think you absolutely need is is two H lesser suits a tweed jacket and what 5 shirts? 2 pairs of shoes....boom! Thats pretty much it and you would get maybe 5 years out of that rotation.

Now doing a bit of quick math, even if you bought those suits, sport coat and shirts from me and you got two pairs of Crockett and jones shoes, based on a 5 year lifespan, you are only spending 225 a month. For the tweed and H lesser suits that 5 year span is quite conservative, you may even get 10 years out of them. Its not that crazy when I bet most people on here spend at least 225 a month on clothes and think a bespoke wardrobe is unattainable.

15. tdellaringa

Well, I have shirts, 2 good pair of pants, and now 2 pair of shoes (even though everyone hates the one). I just need to get a jacket. Truth is, jackets are rarely worn where I work at my level. But I like to dress up.

16. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the concept of a fifty year old man, manager at an insurance firm, that doesn't own a jacket. What is your size? How tall are you?

17. tdellaringa

Couple things.

I only recently was promoted into this position. I have been essentially a principal software designer for the last few years.

Second, I've recently lost 40 pounds. I HAD jackets, but nothing fits anymore. I literally dumped my whole wardrobe. Not that it was a bad thing, the clothes I had were shit. They didn't fit right for one.

I'm 5' 7", so I'm also short which presents challenges. I am also muscular though.

At MW I was trying on 39 Short, Trim fit or 40 Short Trim fit, and those were fitting nicely.

1 person likes this.
  18. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

You're on a budget. If you find a simple dark blue jacket at MW that fits you great, grab it. Don't let anyone here dissuade you.