• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finding a good deal on a TV

Brian SD

Reaction score
Anyone spotted any good deals on a flat display TV with progressive scan? Looking for something 25"+ and as cheap as possible. I don't care about high def, I just want progressive scan, though 720p is a plus.

I realize this may not be the best place to ask, so if anyone knows of a better forum or place to look for deals on this, please let me know. People on Craigs List ask for ridiculous prices on used TVs.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fatwallet is pretty good for TV deals. Old tube style TVs have become cheap as hell. 27" for under $300 with lots of inputs. Ill probably shoot for a >27" LCD for under $650, later in the year.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Avsforum is full of knowledgeable people who will post good deals and good recommendations based on requirements/price points.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ask Eddie Murphy.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well if you want a good one onecall.com has some really good prices (and they are a family based company in Spokane, been open for nearly 100 years as Huppins)

Earthmover

Reaction score
I think some of the online retailers are worth going to, and otherwise, Costco is a quick and cheap-ish option.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just got a 20" Visio LCD at Costco for $399. They have a 32" version from the same brand for $699. Both seemed like great deals to me. I chose the smaller one as part of a larger strategy to deemphisize TV watching in my life.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ouch Baron you got burned
I sell a Cheapo Brand "Olevia" LCD 23" for less than that at Staples

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does the one you sell have a built in HD tuner? I understand that some cheap models do not. I also noticed that some cheap models had a crappy picture - I'm pretty happy with the picture on mine. I don't really know a whole lot about this stuff though.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The picutre is decent on it (actually I found out that Olevia, or how ever the hell you spell it, sponsors some major sporting events, bigger than I tought) and has a built in HD tuner.
Thats something I really wish I had... My Toshiba HD came out before it was required to have a built in tuner in most all models. its a 26" so it was under spec for requiring the factory HDbox.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How often do stores like Best Buy and circuit city have these 18 month (or simply long term) financing plans?

dino

Reaction score
Hi all,

Having just joined, I thought I would chime in where I can definitely be of help. I have done my share of home theater design and consultancy, having begun by simply wanting to make an informed TV purchase 4 years ago. The more I dug, the more I found and soon enough, it became the central preoccupation in my life.

Thus, I have waded through the morass, many times, that is maddeningly typical in purchasing a flat panel television or similar.

The AVS Forum is a great resource for information but can be daunting if you are not familiar with all the jargon. I've been a member there for a couple of years and ironically, the forum is best utilized once you've bought a display. There are innumerable owners who post their user experiences and provide tweaks, et. al.

To comment on some of the posts- It is not entirely necessary to have a built-in tuner unless you are solely an over the air viewer. A cable box or dish functions as your tuner.

As far as a simple reccomendation and a where to buy, it may be best to determine a budget and usage for your TV. If you are a cable watcher and occasionally throw in a DVD, which would be most common, I would likely steer you towards a 42" plasma, likely an EDTV set. They can be had in the thousand dollar range now. If you are looking to spend less, we can plan accordingly.

EDTV- Enhanced definition, i.e. 854 x 480 resolution.

For a 42" plasma, 1024 x 768 is considered high definition. If you view your TV from more than 7'-8' the difference in resolution is not distinguishable to the eye. More than this, many pundits feel that standard definition content, which will make up most of your viewing for at least a couple of years, as well as standard DVDs are shown in 480p or 480 lines of progressive information, so, the matching of native resolutions will produce the ideal image.

Most any new TV on the market today can display HD content whether the resolution is 854 x 480 on all the way up to 1920 x 1080. Resolution is not everything, in fact, now that "full HD" displays are here, the difference between these and their lower resolution brethren are often not discernible to the naked eye. Of course, the debate rages on, but what is irrefutable is that the "guts" of the unit tell the story more than anything.

I've owned plasmas, both ED and HD, LCD units, as well as three front projectors and have put them all through the paces so I'm happy to be of assistance where I can.

I hope this begins to help,

Dino

So, now that I've rambled ad nauseum in my first post, I will

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads