• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finding a cool side-bag ("European Bag")

chipopo

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been using side bags for a long time. I'm currently looking for a new one that looks cool.
I kind of like this TUMI one:

79505_Axlrg.jpg

or the Freitag one:

F96_hinten.jpg

derrick-unten.jpg

I would be glad to hear about other cheaper suggestion (These are around 150 Euros).

Thanks,

Chipopo

CoryB

Reaction score
If you really like the Freitag bags you can find them on Yoox for about $170USD; still quite steep for a canvas bag, but at least not $300.

nomovement

Reaction score
frietag is cooler than the tumi. I would look for an older prada leather bag or a new Nava one...as I've mentioned before.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So the Freitag is worn around your waist, like a reverse fanny pack?

chipopo

Reaction score
The Freitag bag has 3 carrying options (See www.freitag.ch): 1) Carried by hand (Not very masculine...) 2) Over the shoulder (This is how I would wear it) 3) Around the waist (They call it understated mode). I will have a look at the Fritz model next week and decide based on how they actually look (still 150 Euros for such a small bag is really a lot). Chipopo P.S. Thanks nomovement I've checked out the Nava Ego Saddle bag and it looks great. I'll try to locate one...

Smooth Genes

Reaction score
i made the mistake of buying a manbag from H &M. i used it only to carry my mp3player/docking device/cd player face to and from my car. After a week I came to a realization that, no..its not a manbag, its not a "european bag". Its a ******* purse. Yes. A purse, just like a woman would carry. Unless you are a flaming homosexual i highly suggest you do what the rest of us men do, stuff your pockets full of all your **** and live with it. i use this instead now timberland cinch sac http://www.nextag.com/Roll-Top-Cinch...31/prices-html

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a waxed canvas bag I like that was dirt cheap, from J Crew, but that's definitely a different aesthetic than I think Chipopo's looking for. I think Manhattan Portage or Reload bags would be the standard suggestions for nylon/tech-ier looking bags at a lower pricepoint than freitag. Both make messenger bags, mostly, but also make smaller bags. Check superfuture, too, a lot of the posters there carry more obscure, designed bags, btu they won't be cheaper than freitag or tumi.

Unless you are a flaming homosexual i highly suggest you do what the rest of us men do, stuff your pockets full of all your **** and live with it.
That's a little ridiculous. I use one of those cinch bags for gym stuff, but I would rather carry a purse than one of those for everyday use.

Smooth Genes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
I have a waxed canvas bag I like that was dirt cheap, from J Crew, but that's definitely a different aesthetic than I think Chipopo's looking for. I think Manhattan Portage or Reload bags would be the standard suggestions for nylon/tech-ier looking bags at a lower pricepoint than freitag. Both make messenger bags, mostly, but also make smaller bags. Check superfuture, too, a lot of the posters there carry more obscure, designed bags, btu they won't be cheaper than freitag or tumi.

That's a little ridiculous. I use one of those cinch bags for gym stuff, but I would rather carry a purse than one of those for everyday use.

Well here in minneapolis gay guys carry the purses, and the little thugs carry the cinch bags. Im neither but id rather carry the cinch bag. I have 2 of them, 1 for the gym and 1 for everyday use. To each their own but im just sayin what i see. If u wanna walk around with a purse all day go ahead.

Its ones thing to be fashionably dressed, but being fashionably dressed AND carrying one of these things around, well it is a little gay. If your ok with that then cool but dont say i didnt warn ya.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smooth Genes
i made the mistake of buying a manbag from H &M. i used it only to carry my mp3player/docking device/cd player face to and from my car.

After a week I came to a realization that, no..its not a manbag, its not a "european bag". Its a ******* purse. Yes. A purse, just like a woman would carry. Unless you are a flaming homosexual i highly suggest you do what the rest of us men do, stuff your pockets full of all your **** and live with it.

Not too tactful, but I agree with this guy.

nomovement

Reaction score
smooth genes is a hater. If you wanna carry a purse, go ahead and carry a purse. Don't worry about people making fun of you in the interweb for that. ther'lol be more people in real life that have something smart to say. those are usually the same people that are going to ask you why you have so much **** in your pockets or why would you carry that big old backpack if all you got is a phone and an mp3 player...forget about those people. But remember, you are still carrying a purse. so be manly about it.

chim

Reaction score
man, do what you want to do. If you wanna carry a manbag, go ahead and carry the damn manbag. If you're so afraid that someone is going to pop out of the woodworks and point at you and go "OH MY GOD LOOK AT HIS BAG ITS JUST LIKE A PURSE... A WOMANS PURSE BWAHAHAHA", which will reduce you to tears, then maybe you should just get a pair of abercrombie jeans and sandals and just go with the status quo.

People have been carrying messengers and manbags for eons, its called having the confidence to back it up. Everybodys into slim jeans now, yet a mere 2 years ago the majority of this board would have been like ha ha! girls pants!
angry.gif

JO3B

Reaction score
smooth genes isn't really headed in the right direction. if you're worried about what others thing it might be safe to say your limiting yourself a bit too much to be stylish, and probably lean a lot more toward fashionable, or as i'd like to call it, clone-y

nomovement

Reaction score
btw, that cinch sack is a bigger problem than a purse-something about those cinches just screams "if I lose this $10 bag then I'll have no choice other than to break out all those banana republic and armani exchange shopping bags that I've been saving all these years."

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The cinch bag reminds me of something only a homeless would carry. Better to look gay or destitute?

Smooth Genes

Reaction score
Lol whatevers clever i guess.

Just make sure your wearing your matching heels.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads