• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finding a 6 ½ moccasin

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My search is still fruitless...I have been unable to find a pair of driver's moccasins (loafers) that fit. The closest ones I found so far were To Boot's Adonis model in a size 7, with a shoe pad, they almost fit, but alas almost is not fitting. I was made aware of the Russell Moccasin Company by a fellow member, has anyone had any experience with them? They make MTM mocc's and they are price really well. I wonder if they will add a driver's sole to a standard model. http://www.russellmoccasin.com/ How are Gucci's shoes? Will there driving shoes last? They have shoes in 6 and 6 1/2 , so I know at least they will fit. If these two options don't work, anyone have any suggestions? Jon.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know anything about Russell. I also don't know anything about the Gucci driving moc, but I'll stop by the Gucci store, check it out, and post this evening.

A couple of ideas: both Santoni and Moreschi make very nice driving mocs. I don't think that they normally make a size 6.5, but they might have the lasts in that size and be willing to do a special makeup for you. Of course, that will cost a significant amount of money, and it will take quite a while to come in.

Alternately, you might look at some women's driving mocs (no offense intended). There are a lot of women's driving mocs that have identical design and construction to the men's models by the same makers, and it would probably be a lot easier to find a women's 8.5 than a men's 6.5.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
None taken.

But there has to be a pair of men's driving loafers in 6 ½ somewhere out there.

Actually, I called Bergdorf's yesterday (since, unfortunately they are too far away for me to stop there after work) and they mentioned that they have a MTM program and can make drivers loafers that either look like the To Boot style or something different altogether, the problem is that they cost like $575, and that's way too much. I mean even Gucci's horsebit loafers cost $295, which is also a lot (well, maybe a bit over the budget I set for my self, but I'm willing to pass the limit if the Gucci's are worth it).

Jon.

MikeF

Reaction score
I've been told that Gucci's shoes are manufactured by either A. Testoni or Sergio Rossi. In either case, the quality will be very good, but not brilliant.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been told that Gucci's shoes are manufactured by either A. Testoni or Sergio Rossi. In either case, the quality will be very good, but not brilliant.
Well, I'm not looking for Vass, just that the shoe is worth its retail value (since I'm stuck paying retail, because my size is so hard to find), so a $300 pair of shoes better be worth $300. Thanks for the info though, enlightening.

Jon.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gucci's shoes are made by Sergio Rossi which is owned by the Gucci Group under PPR. All the Gucci Group brands' shoes such as YSL, etc. are all made by Sergio Rossi.

They have a fairly distinct style.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have found that Gucci makes a fine quality shoe. They do not use corrected grain, and are quite comfortable. Gucci is currently having a sale so perhaps the driving shoes are discounted.

Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Versace, Cesare Paciotti, Fratelli Rosetti, Sergio Rossi are all comprable brands. prada's shoes whilst in that same designer lux category tends to have a lower quality.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I also don't know anything about the Gucci driving moc, but I'll stop by the Gucci store, check it out, and post this evening.
I did indeed stop by the Gucci store to look at the driving mocs. There were two models: one leather one (in both brown and black) and one made of Gucci-logoed canvas (in three different color combinations). The leather ones were $275, the canvas ones were $375. I didn't think much of either model. The leather ones were okay, but the leather was nothing special, there was no insole padding, and they wasn't anything about them that justified the cost. I'd much rather have the Moreschi version at $295 than the Gucci at $275. As for the canvas ones, well, they just scream fashion victim.

jrh

Reaction score
I recently received a bespoke Russell moc boot in French Cafe (yummy). They are very comfortable and well handmade (you will notice they are made by hand).

But beware, they were shipped with glue on the uppers, a few nicks in the leather, and scuffed. The owner was more then attentive in righting the wrong. My impression is they are much more a field shoe then a dress shoe company (ie comfort before a perfectly ploished shoe).

Measure your feet carfefully, as they will make them precisely to your supplied measure.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What I liked was this model: Gucci horsebit driver Larger Picture:
E0417886748019_63de3.jpg
Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads