• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Find or flop? Was hoping for RRL A-2 jacket, got a PRL

SwedishFish

Reaction score
Picked up what turned out to be this PRL jacket from TK Maxx (the UK/EU TJ Maxx) online for £499 (supposedly marked down from £1495). Since TK Maxx doesn't properly label their RL merchandise presumably on RL's orders, the jacket was marked only as 'Ralph Lauren Brown Leather Jacket' hence why I hoped for RRL considering the supposed retail price: http://www.tkmaxx.com/jackets+coats/brown-leather-jacket/invt/29253373

Anyway, initially I was disappointed due to potential resale value. I took these pics to ask if I should keep or return it, but I decided to keep it because I do need a casual jacket and lately I am tired of waiting forever for the perfect item to show up and rather settle for things I can get now that are good enough. The construction is indeed very nice, and the leather a lot thicker and stiffer than I imagined. In a sense I wish the leather was more 'drape-y' but I decided that for this style jacket it looks more genuine if the leather is more hard-wearing. I am still not sure about the distressed leather. On the one hand I think it's a bit cheesy, but on the other hand I have not found any brown leather jackets I like more in terms of colour, and it's a brown jacket I want. Your thoughts?

I know the price is still high by US standards, but, alas, we are not spoiled with your ebay and discount shopping opportunities here :-/ So, if any other UK-based person should be in the market for the same model and style, there is one S and one M respectively left in TK Maxx stock.

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ehhh I say return.

You can get an aero in some of the best leathers for 35 pounds more, and break it in yourself too.

SwedishFish

Reaction score

Ehhh I say return.

You can get an aero in some of the best leathers for 35 pounds more, and break it in yourself too.

Yeah, I have been trying on actual 'vintage' jackets but the problem there has always been the fit. I think I want a 'fashion jacket' because I am skinny and narrow enough that anything too utilitarian looks big and boxy, which feels awkward. I'm not a hipster in the sense that the jacket has to be authentic, I just want something that fits well and looks good; but within reason obviously considering price, etc. I do want to get a black leather jacket as well, but for that style I want a more crisp biker-style model, but that's on the list for future purchases.

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have been trying on actual 'vintage' jackets but the problem there has always been the fit. I think I want a 'fashion jacket' because I am skinny and narrow enough that anything too utilitarian looks big and boxy, which feels awkward. I'm not a hipster in the sense that the jacket has to be authentic, I just want something that fits well and looks good; but within reason obviously considering price, etc. I do want to get a black leather jacket as well, but for that style I want a more crisp biker-style model, but that's on the list for future purchases.

The traditional A2 brands make them in slim fits too.

http://www.billkelsomfg.com

Here's a brand that offers good slim fit A2s in quality veg. tanned horsehide. You can contact them and they'll personally work with you to make the fit perfect. Great customer service.

SwedishFish

Reaction score

The traditional A2 brands make them in slim fits too.

http://www.billkelsomfg.com

Here's a brand that offers good slim fit A2s in quality veg. tanned horsehide. You can contact them and they'll personally work with you to make the fit perfect. Great customer service. 

Thanks. Awful website but great jackets indeed. The one I like on that site is priced quite a bit higher though. How I hate being constrained by money... :S

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads