Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Find of the year, part ii: oxxford

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, May 29, 2004.

1. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Well, I don't know if I can lay claim to find of the year either, but I think this was quite a haul. I found three Oxxford suits at a thrift store today in various conservative fabrics and looking in very good shape, all unfortunately in size 44-Portly, for a total of $65 or something ridiculous. I had never seen an Oxxford suit in person and well, uh.. wow. [​IMG] The first one I found (which I didn't buy) had moth holes and I wanted to scream while looking at it, thinking maybe I would buy it just to pull it apart and see what makes it tick. Only $30 after all for a first rate lesson in tailoring. Dismayed, I kept moving on the rack and found three more in very very good shape. I will spend tomorrow inspecting them all and probably put them up for sale sometime soon, as I don't know any lucky people that size. I have never more wanted to be a bigger size than today. Also present, undoubtedly from the same (dead? divorced? I always wonder) person's wardrobe, were a few nice Hickey-Freemans and various other high-end conserva-wear that I didn't figure would resell well. But I am going back tomorrow since the place was closing on me and I want to try a couple other things there I didn't have time to inspect closely. Also spotted was a pair of nice Aldens with brogued cap toe but with a little scratch in them.

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Dammit, doesn't anyone care? [​IMG]

3. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

Good deal, J.

Assuming that they are in good shape, that is a stupendous find. The old-style Oxxfords are great conservative clothes. Not to my taste, but at that price it is worth buying and relisting.

4. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Along similar lines, I came across several (5-6 if I remember correctly) 40R Oxxfords in a consignment store in Bethesda (Act II Consignments for anyone in the DC area) about a week ago.  They all had the same store tag stiched on the inside, so I presume that they all came from one individual.  Sadly, the person who used to own the suits is a few inches shorter than I am and/or wears his suit pants much lower than I do.  Because I don't know how to gauge how much fabric can be let out of the pant cuff, I left the store empty-handed.