• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finasteride: keep hair & prevent cancer

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sounds like this lowers your testosterone levels.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
It blocks 5-a-reductase, an enzyme that converts testosterone into dihydrotestosterone (DHT). DHT causes back and ear hair growth, male pattern baldness, enlarged prostate and prostate carcinoma.

rxcats

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles

It actually raises your serum testosterone by 15%. This happens because it blocks 5 alpha reductase which is the enzymatic pathway for conversion of testosterone to DHT. Still there can be sexual side effects in around 2% of men taking it; this is about the same as the placebo control group however. As far as anabolic/muscle development is concerned, this is thought to be controlled by testosterone in humans and not DHT. Finasteride has a very short half-life and is not stored in the body; any adverse effects one might experience will quickly disappear if you quit taking it. Avodart (dutasteride), a similar drug, has an extremely long half-life and would take many months to completely clear after discontinuing it.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
DHT, i have it. i'm comfortable bald but kinda wish i'd taken some quasi-preventative measures.

Originally Posted by why
It blocks 5-a-hydrogenase, an enzyme that converts testosterone into dihydrotestosterone (DHT). DHT causes back and ear hair growth, male pattern baldness, enlarged prostate and prostate carcinoma.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the deal with Proscar? Do any dermatologists prescribe it if you ask? Can you buy it from overseas without a prescription? Is that legal?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably, yes, no (at least not in the US). To elaborate on the first answer, the closer you are to middle age, the more realistic it is that a dermatologist will prescribe you Proscar. You likely will have a better chance with a general practitioner. To answer the open-ended question about Proscar requires more specifics.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a client who took it and it gave him gyno because all the excess testosterone that was being converted into DHT was being converted into estrogen instead.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zinc might help with that.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
Zinc might help with that.

With what? Even if his zinc levels were low (they aren't), adding zinc doesn't stop the aromatase enzyme. Not to mention you're dealing with endocrinology which is a hell of a lot more complex than most metabolic sciences and way beyond anyone's comprehension on this board no matter how much of a meathead they are.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sharlatan
Damn why, breaking out the science skillz...actually, iirc there are some aromatase-inhibiting drugs, though I've never heard of them used for gynecomastia.
Arimidex et. al, I know. I realize aromatase inhibitors exist, but they're not zinc and zinc will not produce the same effect. Besides, adding an aromatase inhibitor to fix what was caused by a 5-a-reductase inhibitor can cause metabolites of who knows what and seriously mess up the endocrine system -- perhaps permanently.
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
With gynecomastia. Some say zinc helps. Adding a little is unlikely to do harm.
While things of this are of interest to me because I need to know what medications are and such, I never prescribe anything to clients. Like I said, the endocrine system is very complex and very powerful. Adding zinc can help with gynecomastia caused by natural hormonal imbalances (too little free T, too much estradiol, pituitary issues, whatever) but I doubt it'd reverse damage done by finasteride which if I remember correctly is a suicidal inhibitor and therefore completely shuts down the enzyme as long as it's in the system.

iamprov76

Reaction score
Is it true that finasteride may give you man-boobs?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads