• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finasteride: keep hair & prevent cancer

rxcats

Reaction score
With the 1 mg strength used for MPB, the incidence of gynecomastia is no different than placebo.

With the 5 mg strength used for BPH, the incidence is 0.5% for year 1 and 1.8% for years 2, 3 & 4 versus 0.5% year 1 and 1.1% for years 2, 3 & 4 for the placebo group.

I will copy and paste from the NEJM when I am at work next Thursday. They changed our passwords so I can't access journals from home right now.

I will not say it is impossible to get "man boobs" from finasteride 1 mg; I would say it is HIGHLY unlikely. Certainly alcohol and marijuana use have been implicated in this condition.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While things of this are of interest to me because I need to know what medications are and such, I never prescribe anything to clients. Like I said, the endocrine system is very complex and very powerful. Adding zinc can help with gynecomastia caused by natural hormonal imbalances (too little free T, too much estradiol, pituitary issues, whatever) but I doubt it'd reverse damage done by finasteride which if I remember correctly is a suicidal inhibitor and therefore completely shuts down the enzyme as long as it's in the system.
The idea is to take zinc with finasteride, to prevent breast growth.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
The idea is to take zinc with finasteride, to prevent breast growth.

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. The mechanism by which zinc may or may not decrease gynecomastia as a result of supplementation is different from the effect of finasteride. In other words, the effect in both cases is gynecomastia but the cause is different.

brazboy

Reaction score
I've been on finasteride for about 3-4 months now, I can say it works. I'm 19, starting to go bald, and not only has my hair stopped falling, some of it has grown back.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brazboy
I've been on finasteride for about 3-4 months now, I can say it works. I'm 19, starting to go bald, and not only has my hair stopped falling, some of it has grown back.

Just out of curiosity, are you in any way put off by the prospect of taking it for the next 30-40 years? Or are you thinking that in that time a new technology will come along?

SwedishFish

Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
Just out of curiosity, are you in any way put off by the prospect of taking it for the next 30-40 years? Or are you thinking that in that time a new technology will come along?

Good question. I actually meant to ask the same thing. I'm 25 and the rate of balding has accelerated in the past few months. While it's rather depressing to think that I will be a bald man this time next year, I am not too excited at the prospect of a lifetime of drug dependency.

On an unrelated note, Seeing as I look more and more like my father with every passing day, I no longer believe that the hair loss gene is passed on from the mother's side (grandpa still has more hair than my father does and my father also started balding in his mid-twenties).

Kempt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SwedishFish
Good question. I actually meant to ask the same thing. I'm 25 and the rate of balding has accelerated in the past few months. While it's rather depressing to think that I will be a bald man this time next year, I am not too excited at the prospect of a lifetime of drug dependency.

On an unrelated note, Seeing as I look more and more like my father with every passing day, I no longer believe that the hair loss gene is passed on from the mother's side (grandpa still has more hair than my father does and my father also started balding in his mid-twenties).

It isn't, it's a common misconception regarding heredity of hair loss genes.

Why not look into hair transplant surgery? I think the cost is ~5k depending upon the number of grafts needed and it's essentially a permanent solution.

rxcats

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
It only works for ~5 years.

Where did you get that from? It works for as long as you take it.

brazboy

Reaction score

I actually wouldn't mind taking it for the next decades. I already take supplements like vitamin C, fish oil, things that you should take at any age, and for the rest of your life, so I'm actually used to taking pills daily. It's not much different from taking a multivitamin, for example, you should teorically take it for the rest of your life.

And results last for as long as you take it; not just 5 years.

rxcats

Reaction score

Put off by the prospect of reducing my lifetime risk of prostate cancer (see OP) & preventing hair loss? No.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rxcats
Where did you get that from? It works for as long as you take it.
I could swear that I recently read the results of a 5 or 10 year study that showed that while Propecia worked very well for a few years, at the end of the test period Propecia users only averaged marginally more hair than the non-users. I could be remembering the results incorrectly but I'll try to find the article I'm thinking of.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peter Brackley