• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Financial Analysts (Mobilty)

Thearkly

Reaction score
I have been reading up on Sell/Buy-side financial analysts. Could anyone provide more information from their experiences and comment on the duties, what kind of institution you work at, and upward mobility.

Is a financial analyst something that a person would want to have as a career.

Onetwobit

Reaction score
When you use the term "Financial Analyst" it typically refers to someone working on the corporate side of the house. So this wouldn't be considered a front office role. This is what they call Corporate Finance.

I'm generalizing here, but I have a feeling you are referring to investment banking analysts, equity research analysts, hedge fund analysts, etc, opposed to a true "Financial Analyst".

To answer the question you AREN'T asking, a FA might be involved in everything from ad hoc for MD's / VP's, budgeting & forecasting, FP&A (reporting), account reconciliation, etc. You will likely NOT be client facing.

First year analyst salary is usually 50-60k, and depending on where you live it could reach ~70k. 10% bonus could be considered aggressive albeit being fairly standard at my firm.

As for mobility / hierarchy structure, it's fairly limited and not as lucrative. Analyst for 2-4 years > Senior Analyst > Director of Region / Project / Division > UP or Lateral

Know that corporate finance is an alternative to investment banking / hedge funds / consulting, and is much easier to break into. Also note that Corporate Strategy might is referred to as Corporate Finance, however this is a different beast not classified by info above.

Last edited:

Thearkly

Reaction score
"FA might be involved in everything from ad hoc for MD's / VP's, budgeting & forecasting, FP&A (reporting), account reconciliation, etc."

Can I move out as a hedge fund analyst. Maybe, you can provide more insight than the articles I am reading (they suck).

It sounds like a Financial Analyst does more number crunching than a hedge analyst or equity research analyst.

Prem Merp

Reaction score
I too am finding myself in a bind. Ive graduated for about 2 years now, and the job market has been so bad that I haven't found a job. Ive recently joined New York Life, as a Life insurance agent, but damn its not as lucrative as they make it sound. The benefit (albeit, it is a long few years before Im there) is that there is a method of becoming a Financial advisor, taking series 6-66-63 and series 7 exams. So im lost between that or going for a masters in business. Though both may proove to be more difficult than I expect. Any insight guys, for a person aspiring to create a financially well future?

Thearkly

Reaction score
I think you can do your master while you do your life insurance thing. My friend, an undergrad, got his series 7 his Junior year through one of those insurance things.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It sounds like a Financial Analyst does more number crunching than a hedge analyst or equity research analyst.

No, you're generalizing. It depends on position, company, specialty/sector, etc. A "financial analyst" can mean just about anything.

Prem Merp

Reaction score
I think you can do your master while you do your life insurance thing. My friend, an undergrad, got his series 7 his Junior year through one of those insurance things.

Yea I think your right. They claim that there is alot of time in your hands. Well lets see, I haven't had much luck in this insurance business. How is your friend doing btw?

Thearkly

Reaction score
What do you mean how is he doing? He is still in school doing the Primerica thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 27 17.6%

Forum statistics

Threads