• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Finance Internship: Inform Me About Dress Shoes

Swag22

Reaction score
I'm a 20 year old university student, and after getting that finance internship, I find myself in need of some nice office shoes. I'm unsure of what I really want though as I can't really afford those $500 Ferragamos or $450 Ballys.

I'm thinking some nice loafers that I can wear to the office and also wear out with a classy outfit. I have a nice collection of street wear, but my dress shoes knowledge is limited.

With that said, I came to the best forum for style to learn a thing or two. If any of you have any suggestions about brands or styles I should look into, please let me know. I was thinking something of this variety:

The Silverfox

Reaction score
Well my recommendation would be a pair of black captoe oxfords. This is a staple men's shoe, and very much appropriate for work in finance. It is the most minimalistic design, and in my opinion the most elegant men's shoe ever worn by a man with two feet.

You can also get them in brown of course, assuming you don't work in London, and the brown is slightly less formal so it can be worn with a pair of nice jeans. Black is the most formal and the safest, but it depends where you will work and what kind of suits you will be combining them with.

I don't own any myself, but the standard recommendation for entry-level shoes of decent quality are allen edmonds. Good construction and materials at a reasonable price seems to be the consensus, so you will probably be well off looking into that.

Another option, would of course be to go for a derby, which is different from the oxford in that the quarters (leather pieces that the laces are attached to) are sown onto the outside rather than the inside of the shoe. This is slightly less formal, but presumably you will not be needing to wear these with a tuxedo or morning coat, so for all practical purposes these should be equally viable for you. I don't favour the design myself, but that's a matter of personal taste.

Also I should mention that there are variations on both the oxford and the derby where the shoe is adorned with decorative holes and/or a toecap with wings. This is called brogueing, and the more there is on the shoe the less formal it is. But as with going for a derby, assuming you will be wearing it with a suit rather than a tuxedo this will be acceptable, so just go for a style you like.

This one is both brown and with extensive brogueing and therefore can be considered to be leaning towards the informal side of the spectrum, but it still has closed lacing making it an oxford, so still more formal than a derby.

Best of luck, have fun shopping...

Oh and of course, welcome to styleforum.

cturner

Reaction score
Get a pair of Allen Edmonds Park Ave's or Fifth Ave's. 30% off right now on endless.com.

Loafers won't be out of place on wall st, but you can't go wrong with nice conservative lace ups.

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
+1. You need lace-ups for starters....

kasper007

Reaction score
Please refer to the following for all your finance dress code related questions:

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kasper007
Please refer to the following for all your finance dress code related questions:

What's this from? It reads like a cheap knock-off of American Psycho, although the illustration is fairly accurate.

To the OP - black captoes. There could not be a safer shoe.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Is your work environment going to be business formal or business casual?

If more casual (no tie, perhaps a jacket, perhaps just slacks and a dress shirt) then I think loafers are appropriate. I would, however, skip any that are overly chunky or have a metal bit across the front.

If you are in a business formal environment, then I would agree a black lace-up is the way to go. I like Ferragamos on sale for the sub-$400 budget, or C&J for the $6-700 budget.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't spend a lot until you know the office clothing culture, and learn more about shoes you like.
You can spend $100 on a basic pair of Johnston & Murphy until you know what you want.
Or, get something even cheaper off Ebay.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.