1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Finally thrifted a proper country suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Lucky Strike, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Well-Known Member

This was bought from David Saxby at Old Hat in London in early May - I had it altered slightly in the seat, and had the trousers shortened significantly and the sleeves just minimally, and the waistcoat lengthened a smidgen. (The sleeves are still a bit long, but as the buttonholes are working, and I can't be arsed to go the long route of having the shoulders unpicked, I'll leave them as is.) It's completely unworn, and presumably never collected by the customer. Otherwise the fit is more or less as perfect as it gets, without going MTM. At a total price of about $500 I'm not complaining. [​IMG] Now, Saxby described it as seventies bespoke, and I trust him after a few very good previous buys. The cut bears this out; it's just slightly seventies in cut - it reminds of the suits John Cleese wore on the Fawlty Towers series. It's certainly got the odd measurements and quirks that bespoke clothes have: There's one inside pocket, there's scrupulous pattern-matching all over the thing, quite extremely slanted hacking pockets, etc. etc. I'm curious about the origins, though; the only markings on it is an embroidered label in the one (!) inside pocket, that says:
    Now, I know that 12 Savile Row is where Thomas Mahon, among others, has his place of business now, but my theory is that these were provincial tailors, who took measurements and did fittings on the premises of some other tailor's or other shop at no. 12. Or what? Now, please tell me I did well. [​IMG]

2. skalogre

skalogre Well-Known Member

Basil Fawlty's suits aren't that bad looking [​IMG] - I like the material on your suit.

3. Tuerney1

Tuerney1 Well-Known Member

That looks fun. I think you'll love it.

I've been collecting quite a few (actually, quite a few too many! [​IMG] ) country jackets and suits myself. Mostly from Scotland and England, a few from Ireland. It's fun stuff. I've stopped short of the plus-four suits, though. [​IMG]

4. abc123

abc123 Well-Known Member

That is a nice looking suit!

5. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

How I love country clothes. Any chance of a fuller pic, possibly of it being worn?

6. gefinzi

gefinzi Well-Known Member

I second the call for full pics!

I like the fabric, especially the blue windowpane. I also collect Windsor-esque suits with patterns that are bold but I hope tasteful.

I've purchased a few 70s suits before and find I never wear them. Often they don't look floridly bad, but I just can't deal with the tight thighs, slightly flared pant bottoms, and wide lapels and pocket flaps.

7. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Well-Known Member

Mas pics.

Looks very good- 3 piece ftw.

8. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Well-Known Member

You did well. Please post a picture wearing the suit.

9. tancredi

tancredi Active Member

Fantastic. And you all who boast of closets full of these gems, please, don't let any go unworn for too long!

10. Lucky Strike

Absolutely, - I'll post pctures as soon as it's cold enough to wear it, which will probably be October, or so, and even then, I don't think I'll be able to wear the waistcoat without a brutal case of sweltering. (It's very heavy thornproof tweed.)

11. j

j Well-Known Member

Will it be, the triple tweed threat?

12. DocHolliday

Absolutely, - I'll post pctures as soon as it's cold enough to wear it, which will probably be October, or so, and even then, I don't think I'll be able to wear the waistcoat without a brutal case of sweltering. (It's very heavy thornproof tweed.)

I just received a tweed three-piece the other night and made the mistake of trying it on. Reminded me that it's still August.

13. Tomasso

Tomasso Well-Known Member

14. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

12 Savile Row is the premises of Scabal, the fabric merchants. Darren Beaman once told me that they offer their premises as a courtesy for tailors to use for customer meetings/fittings. While I haven't been in contact with him for a while, Darren is still using Scabal's premises, as is Thomas Mahon. I do not know how long Scabal has been at that address, so that I do not know if the tailor mentioned in the original post would have been meeting at Scabal's. Perhaps a look at old telephone directories or the 1987 book Savile Row would be helpful.

What I do know is that many tailoring firms allow and allowed other tailors to use their premises for meeting clients and having fittings. Such was the case with Adeney & Boutroy, whose proprietor Ron Pescod would meet clients at the premises of Davies & Son. Steven Hitchcock has a similar arrangement, I believe, at the premises of Denman & Goddard. Further, certain non-Row or non-London tailors can arrange to meet clients at a given Savile Row address which could be any set of rooms on any floor of the Row, much as small businesses may have the option of using office space on Park Avenue or the Champs-Elysees for client meetings. Tobias Tailors, which has left the Row, can meet customers at an address on the Row by appointment. The continuing conundrum Whitcomb & Shaftesbury can do the same.

15. DocHolliday

The continuing conundrum Whitcomb & Shaftesbury can do the same.

They've proved rather enigmatic, haven't they? Seems like forever ago when they first came up, and I still have seen no answers.

16. Lucky Strike

Ahhh - couldn't take the pressure this morning, and wore the jacket with jeans and a french blue shirt. The day started out grey and overcast, but it's now 18 centigrade and clammy. The suit will stay on the hanger until October, I'm afraid.

And thanks, RJman; you support my own theory.

It seems that Scabal has been at the same address for the last thirty years, so it's not inconceivable that they've made their rooms available for measurings and fittings for provincial tailors.

17. designprofessor

designprofessor Well-Known Member

You going to put one of those pilots maps in silk as a pocket square?

18. Lucky Strike

You going to put one of those pilots maps in silk as a pocket square?
    I'm in doubt: [​IMG] I'd have to cut it up in, say, four pieces, and have them edged. It's far too big and bulky as it is.

19. Charley

Charley Well-Known Member

I certainly do like that fabric pattern very much.

Is that the pattern known as a Russell plaid? If not, it must be very similar to it. But, I don't know all of the requiements for the Russell plaid pattern, either. I've only seen a few examples.

20. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

The pilot map as pocket square is cool, though.