• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finally pulled the trigger on some Nudies

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I called a local store today, the only one who sells Nudies, and they'd just gotten in a shipment this morning. I went and tried on RRDS and RRDG. I ended up with the RRDS in a 32/34. With that size, all I need to do is throw them in the dryer if they loosen up too much or need to be shortened in a hurry (joking on the last one). Fit is great, almost a straight leg, love the stiff, heavy denim. In the world of raw or almost raw, they make a perfect contrast to my Rag and Bones: completely raw, slightly grayer (for now), slight bootcut, heavier denim. Regardless of the prices I can get on Euro websites, I like buying from these guys, they are the only premium denim shop in town, and are great to deal with (been in a bunch of times, this is my first time buying there, but they've never tried to push stuff on me). So, will report back with the "progress."

tweedlesinpink

Reaction score
BANG>

good job on the support-your-local-shop movement. i try to do that if the price isn't too exhorbitant.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tweedlesinpink
BANG>

good job on the support-your-local-shop movement. i try to do that if the price isn't too exhorbitant.

Regular $265 that most American shops charge for RRDS. And, like I said, the guys at this one are pretty chill. I had been about to get some Svens there a few weeks ago, had him hold them, and then called him to say that I just wasn't feeling it. He actually thanked me for the call, and for letting him put them back on the floor, and couldn't have been more helpful when I came in for the Ralfs tonight.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So after about two hrs of wear, I've noticed that these seem a tad large in the back of the waist. I am assuming that, as a true 32, the tightness of the rest of the jeans is causing them to sit higher on my hips than I usually wear jeans, and when they loosen up a bit, I will see the waist fall into place? If I'm wrong though, and the waist will end up huge, I should know so that I can do something. In the front, and for the most part when standing, the waist seems spot on right now. Just a little bit of new denim jitters, lol, these are a great pair of jeans.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me clarify, because I think my last post wasn't clear. Everything fits in the waist area, it's just the waist band itself is a tad big. Any smaller size would be too small through the hips, I believe, but I might run back tomorrow and just try a 31, to be sure. I think at worst I just wash them sooner than I planned.

sbbbjm

Reaction score
i'm going to be completely honest. i understand that people like to buy there's pretty tight here, which i used to do. however, after completing 2 denim projects that way -- they've always shrunk up a more than i wanted them to which is why i go for slightly tight now and when i get them hemmed i get them 1.5 - 2 inches longer than what i want them to be once i wash em

i had the same problem with my RRDG. the thighs up were pretty snug except for the waist, so i had this odd tight leg thing going on with a gap in the waist. i damp and put em in the dryer once (i don't know if you can do this with RRDS) and it fixed em up. i think your next alternative, albeit a hard one would be to get a spray bottle and wet the waist area and then take a hot blow dryer to em or something.

also, yes i you give yourself about a week they will stretch out and you will be able to sag them a little more comfortably.

Histrion

Reaction score
I'll just ask a question that might seem redundant to seem but... well, if I am to buy some Straight Svens, do I need to size down?

Babar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Histrion
I'll just ask a question that might seem redundant to seem but... well, if I am to buy some Straight Svens, do I need to size down?

They run pretty much exactly like the RRs. I'm not sure I'd go a full size down, but if you're between two sizes, then you should get the lower one.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Babar
They run pretty much exactly like the RRs. I'm not sure I'd go a full size down, but if you're between two sizes, then you should get the lower one.

It depends on how you want the jeans to fit. I would second this recommendation for the Svens. However, if you look at the pics in the Nudie booklet, and want to emulate that look (the fit was what drew me to Nudie in the first place) those guys are generally wearing the Ralphs in their usual size. Most of the jeans shown have been hot or warm washed, which shrink up the jeans about 1/2". And the comfortable looking drape of the jeans doesn't really come about until about 2-3 hard months wear and maybe a couple of washes, ime.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LA Guy, maybe you can answer this: If the waistband is the only part that feels 1/2in big, but the rest of the jeans are nice and tight, especially in the hip area, will the waist even loosen up more? Or will I get the stretching in the hip area? The only thing that even makes them feel at all loose is when I wear a belt and tighten it to where I like, there is about a 1/2in pucker in the back of the waistband. Or should I really be going back to look at the 31 (and no, I don't like my jeans really tight in the long run).

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
LA Guy, maybe you can answer this: If the waistband is the only part that feels 1/2in big, but the rest of the jeans are nice and tight, especially in the hip area, will the waist even loosen up more? Or will I get the stretching in the hip area? The only thing that even makes them feel at all loose is when I wear a belt and tighten it to where I like, there is about a 1/2in pucker in the back of the waistband. Or should I really be going back to look at the 31 (and no, I don't like my jeans really tight in the long run).

The areas that stretch the most are the areas that have the least amount of give as it is. So if the hips are the tightest spot, that area will stretch more than the waistband. My advice is to just not worry about it, wear em in and if problems arise wih stretching, generally a cold soak can work wonders.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
The areas that stretch the most are the areas that have the least amount of give as it is. So if the hips are the tightest spot, that area will stretch more than the waistband. My advice is to just not worry about it, wear em in and if problems arise wih stretching, generally a cold soak can work wonders.

Considering this is coming from the man with a reputation for liking the ultra-tight, your assessment is good enough to calm my nerves
biggrin.gif
. Thanks Brian.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads