• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finally have some pics; advice for tailoring my new blazer?

ramair57

Reaction score
My girlfriend, bless her heart, got me a really nice Zegna blazer. Ive honestly probably never had a blazer that was so expensive before, so I wanna make sure the alterations are superb. Problem is, I just moved upstate, and Im not really familiar with any tailors that I can really trust. I'm gonna take it one that I heard does good work, but Im just not sure how knowledgeable theyll be on "fashion", and modern cuts, etc. Anyway, if I can go in armed with some info and can guide them, Id feel much better. I think the blazer fits great, and aside from shortening the sleeves, it may be perfect. What do you guys think? Thanks so much!

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
To my completely untrained eye, I would take in the waist to add some suppression (maybe a half inch on both sides, taken in the front), and take up the sleeves 1" or so.

Night Owl

Reaction score
I'd return it. Too big, just Zegna cloth. Costco has a good return policy.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the waist suppression looks fine, the back definetly needs to be trimmed up however.

trimming the back up will leave a clean silouette from the side and it should also open the quarters more which will look nice.

take the sleeves up also, and i think you're good to go.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
First off, I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you that I don't believe that's actually a Zegna sportscoat. If you look closely at the arm tag it will tell you that the cloth is by Zegna, but I would venture to guess that the suit itself was put together by someone else. I was once taken in by a similar garment.

There are a bunch of these "Cloth by Ermenegildo Zegna" suits and jackets floating around out there. Whoever makes them makes sure not to include their name anywhere on the garment. I see these floating around at a lot of Filene's Basements and Sak's Off-5th stores.

Still, fret not. It's likely still a perfectly nice and serviceable garment, and no doubt the fabric is nice. My "Cloth by Zegna" suit was made in Italy, though it has fused construction. The shoulders are more heavily padded than most of the rest of the current Zegna line.

Unfortunately, it's impossible to tell much of anything from your photos. The dark jacket photographed in low light with a stark flash makes it impossible to see anything but the overall silhouette, and none of how the coat is draping, bunching, creasing, etc. Please take photos in daylight.

ramair57

Reaction score
defintely gonna get the sleeves shortened (I like about a half inch of cuff to show); sorry for the ignorance, but when you say to "clean up the back", what exactly do you mean. I just wanna be sure Im leading the tailor in the right direction; Im a bit of a newbie at this, so bare with me
smile.gif

ramair57

Reaction score
Douglas, I just looked at the tag, and you may be right
frown.gif
Oh well, Im sure she meant well, and the cloth is really nice. Its gotta be better than the express blazer I was wearing previous to this! The best I can do is have a good tailor job I guess. A bit disappointed now, but oh well...

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramair57
defintely gonna get the sleeves shortened (I like about a half inch of cuff to show); sorry for the ignorance, but when you say to "clean up the back", what exactly do you mean. I just wanna be sure Im leading the tailor in the right direction; Im a bit of a newbie at this, so bare with me
smile.gif

your tailor should know what it means, if not, find a new tailor.

having said that, they will take in the back at the seem in the middle of the back that will bring it in at the small of your back. it will get rid of that bulkiness.

ramair57

Reaction score
k, awesome; you guys are the best. Appreciate all the help

lizmasc

Reaction score
Hey, you're welcome, I also think that the sleeves could come up a bit higher. The blazer itself looks great, good things are usually expensive so, good luck with that
bigstar[1].gif
smiley2.gif

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your girlfriend has good taste.

As part of cleaning up the back, you may need to have the tailor adjust the collar to get rid of the horizontal ripple around the base of your neck.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Looks to me that given the waist, back, and sleeves all need to be made smaller, trying on the next size smaller jacket would be worth a shot. Over all this jackets looks too big.

skeen

Reaction score
I wouldn't be disappointed that it's not a Zegna - it's a nice blazer, I would buy that.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffsWood
Looks to me that given the waist, back, and sleeves all need to be made smaller, trying on the next size smaller jacket would be worth a shot. Over all this jackets looks too big.

I have to agree, and it was my first impression upon looking at your photos. It looks to me like there is a pretty pronounced dimple under the shoulder padding and before your actual shoulder begins. This says to me that trying on the next size down, if possible, might be a good idea. If this is not possible, I still think you could have a nice jacket with the tailoring advice from those above.

Mr T

Reaction score
I also agree that the shoulders are too big. Exchange the jacket for the next smaller size (most noticeable from the back photo).

Keep the girlfriend.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads