• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finally found the overcoat I've been looking for, in Lithuania! Your advice please...

LB_J

Reaction score
I've been on the lookout for a versatile, high-quality overcoat that falls below the knee for a while.

Last winter I was in Vilnius and figured that a Baltic people must make a decent coat. A friend suggested that I check out 'Lelija.'

By chance I hit their store at the end of a sale and picked this up (50% wool, 40% agora, 10% cashmere) for something around the EUR 200 mark. The build quality is superb and it's very warm. After a couple of alterations it became my favourite thing to throw over a suit or smart-casual outfit in cold weather.

Your thoughts, please: where should I be looking for a second below-the-knee overcoat? Any makers you'd recommend keeping an eye open for new or used? Do I really need to countenance paying 1k+ for something that will be a pleasure to own for years to come?

Many thanks!

_MG_2005.jpg
_MG_2010.jpg
_MG_2011.jpg

Last edited:

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks great man. Does Lilija have an online shop? Price sounds really great for a good Balmacaan, which is the style of coat you have.

I don't think $1k+ is necessary as you've demonstrated, but it's definitely an option.

What kind of style of overcoat are you looking at for a second one?

zanci

Reaction score
I want this!
What was the full price? Ive got a friend in Vilnius, i'd totally grab one for 200

LB_J

Reaction score
Thanks! Good to know re. the style. Lelija doesn't seem to have much of an online footprint...

For no. 2 I'd probably stick with something single-breasted. Perhaps with a lapel and some depth to the 'V'. Couple of ideas below, though I'd miss the belt...

One or two of the 'Hammersley' and 'Mulberry' jackets on eBay look promising though I know nothing of their reputation.

Guidance and suggestions most welcome.

Screenshot 2020-11-30 at 23.47.11.png
Screenshot 2020-11-30 at 23.48.43.png

LB_J

Reaction score
I want this!
What was the full price? Ive got a friend in Vilnius, i'd totally grab one for 200
Argh, sorry! I can't remember. It was a dash to the airport and I didn't have much time to chat with the shop assistant.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks good! Maybe consider something like a Chesterfield next? They're traditionally below the knee as well.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Superb!! Partially because it reminds me of a gray Balmacaan I have that
is more than 30 years old, but not as full cut. Since I am in CA, I only wear
it when i travel. If you have a need, I'd get one in tweed in the same cut. BTW,
my grandmother was from Vilnius.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics