• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finally broke down and picked up a couple of Fitzgeralds

RichmondStyle

Reaction score
I've been on the fence for some time about the Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald cut. I had casually tried on a few and didn't like the way they fit for some reason, though I'm a huge fan of RLBL and like a slim cut suit.

Anyway, I was killing time in the BB today waiting for my wife and thought I would try again. They were all out of 42L, so I just threw on a 41L for the heck of it. It was PERFECT. Still, I was wary of dropping $1000 on two half-canvassed suit since I've become addicted to the SF B&S and since I had just dropped a few hundred on some Canali shirts and some ties at Saks.

As luck would have it, I was able to convince the sales associate to stack my 15% affiliate discount with the sale, and will be getting a solid gray and solid navy Fitzgerald for $850 total. They should be in Wednesday and I'll be sure to post photos.

The lessons to be learned are: (1) always try on the next size down, because you might be surprised, even for slim-cut suits (I've never worn anything below a 42L in my life); and (2) in this economy, everything is negotiable.

TintinATL

Reaction score
That sounds like a pretty good deal! Two suits for under $1000. I'm holding off until the next sale (which I'm told starts December 10th) but I will definitely be looking at those.

RichmondStyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by distinctive
This point stands in all economic situations

Glad you found something you like.

Usually I agree at non-chain stores, but I had always been more reluctant at places like Brooks Brothers. Sorta like negotiating with your local speaker store versus negotiating with Best Buy.

shoeme

Reaction score
Can you share how you apply the 15% discount in the store? Is there a physical card?

RichmondStyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoeme
Can you share how you apply the 15% discount in the store? Is there a physical card?

It's a physical card. I actually went to my company's HR folks a few months ago and had them go through the very minor trouble of registering us as an affiliate. Once they do that, you can register for an individual card on the Brooks web site.

chuckseabreeze

Reaction score
Hey, good deal! I wish I could pick up a few Fitzgeralds myself.

I feel the same way about haggling at big "chain" stores also. I would think though, that if could work if the salesperson actually has something to gain from making a sale, like a commision.

Interested in seeing the photos of you suits when they come in, please do post.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RichmondStyle
The lessons to be learned are: (1) always try on the next size down, because you might be surprised, even for slim-cut suits (I've never worn anything below a 42L in my life); and (2) in this economy, everything is negotiable.

Yeah, trying out the odd number sizes might surprise you.

I wear quite a few 43L's.

Additionally, since the supply and demand is so variable on ebay, you can occasionally find very good bargains in odd number sizes. I have a 43L NWT J.Press Prince of Wales 2B Peak lapel suit waiting to be altered, and, iirc, I got it for a sub-$50 price.

ToddWDraper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RichmondStyle
Usually I agree at non-chain stores, but I had always been more reluctant at places like Brooks Brothers. Sorta like negotiating with your local speaker store versus negotiating with Best Buy.

I've negotiated at Best Buy plenty of times.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TintinATL
I'm holding off until the next sale (which I'm told starts December 10th) but I will definitely be looking at those.

Does anybody else know anything about the next promotion?

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slight derail, sorry.

I'm reading Fitzgerald's this side of paradise at the moment, a character is described as "clothed by Brooks, shod by Franks".

I assume the suit cut is a tribute to the author, but who were / are Franks?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads