• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finally--bg online!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabina212

Reaction score
To promote the grand opening they're giving away a spa day and a serious store credit (a $2,000 gift card&#33
wink.gif
. Â Maybe to make-up for all these years we've had to fly into NYC
wink.gif
Here's the link: www.bergdorfgoodman.com

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
um...

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You see, FB, had you acted really fast you would have been able to beat this post even though you missed Banks.

Its kind of amazing that shills (forgive me if this posted who just signed up now and has 1 post, this one is not a shill) can write but they cant read, or dont bother to tak the time dont you agree?

I also find it interesting that there wold be a need to 1) mention that on this site if there are no men's clothing available and 2) why would a big company do that at all?

JJF

banksmiranda

Reaction score
I also find it interesting that there wold be a need to 1) mention that on this site if there are no men's clothing available

Because first of all, BG didn't have a web site, period, until not too long ago, and now online shopping. Saks Fifth does have men's clothing for sale online at the moment, but has gone through periods during which it offers no mens clothing online. So why not put BG, a "temple" of men's clothing, on the radar for our future online shopping?

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'll go out on a limb and say this was a blatant shill. i'm not even going to give him/her the benefit of a doubt.

i believe it's the same person who announced the spa giveaway a couple days ago, might've been on the 'general chat' forum.

i wonder if they're actually getting paid to do this. it must be an intern or something. maybe a temp. so dÃ
00a9.png
classÃ
00a9.png
e for a store like goodberg dorfman.

/andrew - wants a little more creativity in his guerrilla marketing

handler4me

Reaction score
I know i may be new, but what is a shill?

Edit- after looking at their online store, it resembles Neiman Marcus's layout. Actually pretty identical.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Edit- after looking at their online store, it resembles Neiman Marcus's layout.  Actually pretty identical.
Meaning of SHILL
Pronunciation:    shil

WordNet Dictionary

Definition:   [n]  a decoy who acts as an enthusiastic customer in order to stimulate the participation of others
[v]  act as a shill

See Also:   cozen, deceive, decoy, delude, lead on, steerer

Webster's 1913 Dictionary

Definition:   Shill, v. t.
To shell. [Obs. or Prov. Eng.]

Shill, v. t. [Cf. {Sheal}.]
To put under cover; to sheal. [Prov.ng.] --Brockett.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Webster's 1913 Dictionary
v. t. 1. To shell.
1. To put under cover; to sheal.

WordNet Dictionary
Noun 1. shill - a decoy who acts as an enthusiastic customer in order to stimulate the participation of others
Verb 1. shill - act as a shill; "The shill bid for the expensive carpet during the auction in order to drive the price up"

Wikipedia
A shill is an associate of a person selling a good or service, who pretends no association and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer. The intention of the shill is, using crowd psychology, to encourage other potential customers, unaware of the set-up, to purchase said good or service.
Usually, shills are employed by confidence artists. Their use is often illegal, though this varies as the precise definition of what comprises "shilling" is debatable.

The word "shill" is probably related to "shillaber", a word of obscure early 20th century origin with the same meaning.

Shills in gambling
The illegal and legal gambling industries often use skills to make winning at the games offered appear more likely than it actually is. For example, illegal Three-card monte peddlers are notorious employers of shills. These shills also often aid in cheating; they will disrupt the game is the mark is likely to win.

Shills in marketing
In marketing, shills are often employed to assume the air of satisfied customers and give testimonials as to the merits of a given product. This type of shilling is legal and almost impossible to detect.

Shills in retail
In retail, shills assume the air of enthusiastic customers. This is done particularly when goods of usually negotiable prices-- like automobiles-- are to be sold; otherwise, it is not very profitable. This type of shilling is probably legal, but rarely used because of the damage it threatens to a retailer's reputation.

Shills in auctions
Shills, or "potted plants", are frequently employed in auctions. Driving prices up with phony bids, they seek to provoke a bidding war among other participants. Often they are told by the seller precisely how high to bid, as the seller actually pays the price (to himself, of course) if the item does not sell, losing only the auction fees.

Shilling is an even larger problem in online auctions, where any user with multiple accounts (and IP addresses) can shill without aid of participants. Many online auction sites employ sophisticated (and usually secret) methods to detect collusion, and a number of people have been sent to jail for online auction fraud in the past decade.

A common shilling tactic is to have two shills. The first is a young child who offers a low bid for a moderately-priced item. Other auction participants will be reluctant to outbid him. The second shill is an ill-mannered and usually overweight man who does just that-- he outbids the kid, who starts crying. In theory, this should provoke other auction participants to outbid the man solely for the sake of beating him; by bidding well beyond the item's value, he can artificially increase prices.

This practice is illegal in most, if not all, states.

This article is a copy of the article on Wikipedia.org - the free encyclopedia. It is distributed under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License.

Related Words
agent provocateur, bid, bid in, bid up, blind, bonnet, booster, by-bidder, capper, come-on man, decoy, make a bid, make an offer, offer, offer to buy, plant, stick, stool pigeon, stoolie

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Edit- after looking at their online store, it resembles Neiman Marcus's layout.  Actually pretty identical.
BTW, Its no crime to be new. We were all new at some point or another. Its another thing entirely when you come on for one post and scream as to how wonderful it is to shop at somethingorother.com cause its a great place and we dont have to fly into NYC anymore to get it and we can win untold spa visits, etc...

I think you understand.

JJF

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JINX.. you owe me a coke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads