1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***Finally an Official Baller sneaker thread ($300 minimum)***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Apr 12, 2010.

1. chronoaug

chronoaug Well-Known Member

lol at the guy above. you realize that adidas can do anything for cheaper because they're fucking huge business and do giant buys getting shit for much cheaper. Also have a lot more factory and manufacturing connections and numbers and get more price breaks

seriously. this isn't the trying to add up all of the costs of manufacturing, retail, materials, PR, etc... and come up with the best bang for buck thread. this is the baller sneaker thread. it's talking about, guess what......expensive sneakers. GASP!

And yes there is a noticeable difference between regular gat and mmm and it's not close. Regular gat are comfortable enough i guess but not really that good and the interior is shitty as hell. Not to mention there are multiples types of gat you can get and most all but 1 i've seen have shitty as hell outerleather, don't wear in nicely, and don't look that good in person up close. In a waywt pic it still looks like mmm i guess but i would definitely get mmm ones for $250 or whatever it is if i had the money.

i mean, CPs definitely aren't worth $350 in terms of value over stan smiths in terms of longevity but the styling, details, materials, exclusivity, and personal enjoyment is enough to warrant paying the extra amount for most. I don't understand how people can't understand this. The measure of an article of clothing isn't simply construction/material/longevity bang for the buck. If you think that you're missing a big chunk of clothing/fashion/style

also think those mmm mids are stupid. in white get the hi with straps or low.

2. ppllzz

ppllzz Well-Known Member

GAT are such a plain look, i just bought a pair and wore it today and got no compliments. it was margiela too. might buy a dior GAT and do the same experiment. on the other hands when i wore my mickey mouse sneakers i got a ton of compliments.

3. ink22

ink22 Member

Original GAT's are often second hand or in shitty condition. If you happen to come across some that are new, chances are the lining and materials aren't that great. I understand the lambskin lining is nice and whatever for the MMM replicas, but in all honesty no vulcanized sole basic trainer should cost close to what the MMM replicas cost. Figuring adidas sambas ,which closely resemble the original GAT in terms of construction and amount of material, only cost $60. If adidas were to manufacture a replica with only slightly better materials and similar construction to the sambas, IMHO they wouldn't sell for more than $100. It only makes sense for a company to copy the design and release a GAT (which seems to be the new CP nowdays in terms of silhouette) . They would make a killing, and it is only evidenced by the recent hype created by MMM trainers (kvc talking about MMM in every thread lulz, baller sneaker thread consisting of mainly CP, lanvin, MMM, and Rick, and all the top posters getting rep for their GAT jawns). All im saying is that out of all the luxury sneaks, the replica GATs can be sold at a much lower price with decent quality. Shoes like CP lanvin and Rick can't really sacrifice quality without changing the aesthetic of the shoe completely. Troll on!
    http://www.yoox.com/item.asp?tskay=B...ne_uk&TP=15199

4. Fycus

Fycus Well-Known Member

^^ Saw those, toebox is fucked. Also, to the poster who disagrees. I understand this is the baller thread, I was just commenting on the recent popularity of the GATs. I think that it only makes sense to recreate this sneaker at a cheaper price, and if anybody would do it, it would likely be adidas because they contain the manufacturing equipment to produce the same sole and upper. Regardless, the MMM GATs still own other replicas in terms of quality.

5. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

if you don't "get" why people pay a lot extra for luxury versions of an item, you will never be able to rationalize purchasing them. there's simply no reason other than it gives some of us pleasure to do so for ourselves.

6. Exalt

Exalt Well-Known Member

7. Listi

Listi Well-Known Member

seriously. this isn't the trying to add up all of the costs of manufacturing, retail, materials, PR, etc... and come up with the best bang for buck thread. this is the baller sneaker thread. it's talking about, guess what......expensive sneakers. GASP! ... i mean, CPs definitely aren't worth $350 in terms of value over stan smiths in terms of longevity but the styling, details, materials, exclusivity, and personal enjoyment is enough to warrant paying the extra amount for most. I don't understand how people can't understand this. The measure of an article of clothing isn't simply construction/material/longevity bang for the buck. If you think that you're missing a big chunk of clothing/fashion/style
    Yeah, some people need to go out and drop some hard earned $$$ on shoes... then put them on and feel awesome about it. Seriously, if you made a good shoe cop you're gonna be wearing them all day walking around the house because they just make you feel awesome. If you don't get a special feeling from wearing baller shoes, then just wear normal shoes. For some of us, the price is nothing compared to the enjoyment we get. And it's not like I'm a rich guy (yettttt), I am a student, I save up money from summer jobs because I know nice shoes will bring me lasting pleasure. I could buy an xbox or something and play video games for a few weeks and then get bored, but I know that every single time I lace up CP's it just gives me a shot of happiness to be wearing a kick ass shiny pair of high tops. $300 to put a smile on my face everytime I lace up my shoes? Small price to pay.

8. chronoaug

^^ Saw those, toebox is fucked. Also, to the poster who disagrees. I understand this is the baller thread, I was just commenting on the recent popularity of the GATs. I think that it only makes sense to recreate this sneaker at a cheaper price, and if anybody would do it, it would likely be adidas because they contain the manufacturing equipment to produce the same sole and upper. Regardless, the MMM GATs still own other replicas in terms of quality.
    recent? I bought my pair almost 4 years ago and even then people on sf and sufu liked them and were trying to proxy them. They've always been really popular amongst forumites for basic shoes. Some people have always stupidly pretended they're magic shoes that'll turn their boring outfits into something stylish just by wearing them but they're just plain sneaks. This forum has gotten a injection of life with people interested in opening up to higher prices other than just CP, which is fantastic. It's a lot more fun to talk about a variety of things not worrying if they're expensive instead of just the standard bargain forum shoes always discussed. Pretty stoked about it honestly and the "baller sneaker" stuff is always in half-jest. Also, the desire for "high quality" gats really isn't that great. I mean, it's generally just here and sufu that are really into them. None of my friends have said "damn, those sneakers are really dope. they're german military trainers? even better where can i get them?" There is a very small market of people where surplus ones are too poor quality and mmm are too expensive Still kinda like some of the colored margiela trainers i've seen. Have ideas for some of them in terms of outfits. I like the pale blue lows and i've seen some model of navy highs i like

9. aeglus

aeglus Well-Known Member

Yeah, some people need to go out and drop some hard earned $$$ on shoes... then put them on and feel awesome about it. Seriously, if you made a good shoe cop you're gonna be wearing them all day walking around the house because they just make you feel awesome. If you don't get a special feeling from wearing baller shoes, then just wear normal shoes. For some of us, the price is nothing compared to the enjoyment we get.

And it's not like I'm a rich guy (yettttt), I am a student, I save up money from summer jobs because I know nice shoes will bring me lasting pleasure. I could buy an xbox or something and play video games for a few weeks and then get bored, but I know that every single time I lace up CP's it just gives me a shot of happiness to be wearing a kick ass shiny pair of high tops. $300 to put a smile on my face everytime I lace up my shoes? Small price to pay.

my laptop has given me way more fun than any piece of clothing has but then again I already have a gf and live in Korea as a foreigner so it's not like I need to impress anyone

10. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Also, the desire for "high quality" gats really isn't that great. I mean, it's generally just here and sufu that are really into them. None of my friends have said "damn, those sneakers are really dope. they're german military trainers? even better where can i get them?" There is a very small market of people where surplus ones are too poor quality and mmm are too expensive
    this is true. my wife loves my lanvin kops (no surprise, she owns a shitload of lanvin herself), but when i got my first pair of MMM GATs she said "you paid that much for those shitty shoes?!" of course, that just made me even more smug which pissed her off [​IMG]

11. chronoaug

if you don't "get" why people pay a lot extra for luxury versions of an item, you will never be able to rationalize purchasing them. there's simply no reason other than it gives some of us pleasure to do so for ourselves.
    Why do people buy luxury cars? Does having the bmw or mercedes logo really add anything tangible? I mean, i had a 93 chevy caprice that lasted over 550,000 miles with no engine rebuild, i know 97civics out there with like 200,000 and doing ok. What is the point of having all the extra horsepower and torque and performance ability since 99.9% of people never use it (no one is going to the race tracks with their luxury cars and even so they're mostly too heavy to be effective from all the luxury features). Why drink any beer other than PBR/Natty? Can do this with most any item. It's just that many don't prioritize clothing the same way they do other things. There are smaller areas i do this in as well like beer or cheese. Never purchase bud light or crappy cheddar or something. Usually i'll get either the cheapest i can find to save money at a bar (pbr tall boy or if i'm shopping at trader joe's the $2 6pack) or i'll get something really nice from a small brewery that's like $7-10 a bottle and just have less of them. Cheese, i could go on for days about I mean, i hope people arent' buying clothing to impress internet people to the detriment of other areas of their life? I mean, if it's something you're truly interested in and really brings you happiness like a hobbyist than that's different. Basically this has been an enjoyable thread the few months that it has been here and i'd hate to see it stifled by people concerned about utility and practicality as this forum isn't really about that (except the jcrew thread)

12. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

^chrono, not sure you are agreeing with my post or thinking that i'm one of those people who don't "get" it, but we are on the same page. it makes me feel good to buy 8 pairs of Lanvin, DH, and MMM in a month...i may feel like an idiot later, but right now it's pretty fucking awesome.

13. snake

snake Well-Known Member

Yeah, some people need to go out and drop some hard earned $$$ on shoes... then put them on and feel awesome about it. Seriously, if you made a good shoe cop you're gonna be wearing them all day walking around the house because they just make you feel awesome. If you don't get a special feeling from wearing baller shoes, then just wear normal shoes. For some of us, the price is nothing compared to the enjoyment we get.

And it's not like I'm a rich guy (yettttt), I am a student, I save up money from summer jobs because I know nice shoes will bring me lasting pleasure. I could buy an xbox or something and play video games for a few weeks and then get bored, but I know that every single time I lace up CP's it just gives me a shot of happiness to be wearing a kick ass shiny pair of high tops. $300 to put a smile on my face everytime I lace up my shoes? Small price to pay.

+1
    If you don't get a rush of awesomeness (results may vary) every time you slip into a pair of nice sneakers, then what's the point?

14. aeglus

aeglus Well-Known Member

A badass car is so much baller than badass clothes that there is no comparison, sorry guys.

15. Stylin-1

Stylin-1 Well-Known Member

Why do people buy luxury cars? Does having the bmw or mercedes logo really add anything tangible? I mean, i had a 93 chevy caprice that lasted over 550,000 miles with no engine rebuild, i know 97civics out there with like 200,000 and doing ok. What is the point of having all the extra horsepower and torque and performance ability since 99.9% of people never use it (no one is going to the race tracks with their luxury cars and even so they're mostly too heavy to be effective from all the luxury features). Why drink any beer other than PBR/Natty? Can do this with most any item. It's just that many don't prioritize clothing the same way they do other things.

There are smaller areas i do this in as well like beer or cheese. Never purchase bud light or crappy cheddar or something. Usually i'll get either the cheapest i can find to save money at a bar (pbr tall boy or if i'm shopping at trader joe's the $2 6pack) or i'll get something really nice from a small brewery that's like $7-10 a bottle and just have less of them. Cheese, i could go on for days about

I mean, i hope people arent' buying clothing to impress internet people to the detriment of other areas of their life? I mean, if it's something you're truly interested in and really brings you happiness like a hobbyist than that's different.

Basically this has been an enjoyable thread the few months that it has been here and i'd hate to see it stifled by people concerned about utility and practicality as this forum isn't really about that (except the jcrew thread)

LOL, people track their BMW's everyday dude, as well as their AMG Benz'.

16. Fluery

Fluery Well-Known Member

GAT are such a plain look, i just bought a pair and wore it today and got no compliments. it was margiela too. might buy a dior GAT and do the same experiment. on the other hands when i wore my mickey mouse sneakers i got a ton of compliments.

oh my god no compliments

that's the only reason you wanted a pair?

17. sq4you

sq4you Well-Known Member

oh my god no compliments

that's the only reason you wanted a pair?

dude he's just trolling

18. Earnest Hemingway

Earnest Hemingway Well-Known Member

ppplz is perhaps our best resident troll

19. chomeo

chomeo Well-Known Member

funny!

20. Fluery

Fluery Well-Known Member

dude he's just trolling

damn i need some sleep

add +1 to your troll count ppllzz