***Finally an Official Baller sneaker thread ($300 minimum)***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Apr 12, 2010.

1. diamonds

diamonds Senior member

they just look a lot better than shitty sneakers. isn't that good enough for you?

2. kwoyeu

kwoyeu Senior member

^ interesting question. i tend to think that the orthodox sf way of evaluating any item of clothing is simply to ask whether it will "look good", where there are different dimensions to looking good, e.g. looking good at a distance (streamlined appearance in the case of sneakers, fit in the case of clothes), looking good on close inspection (quality of material, structural details), looking good in a variety of situations (versatility), looking good over a long period of time (durability), looking good to other sf-ers (uniqueness, referentiality) etc.
    comfort and brand considerations (to my mind) usually take second place...
    having said that i've never handled a pair of mmm gats myself so can't comment on material etc. but i do think they look incredibly sleek. and they're versatile (esp. the white lows, you can picture how they'd fit well with just about any casual wear). plus they are referential (i'd say that explains a big part of their appeal)

3. coldforge

coldforge Senior member

Sure. And I don't want to get into a whole thing about what makes these BETTER than a pair of chucks. I'm just saying that for every expensive piece of clothing, you can put it somewhere on the overpricedness spectrum, with one end being 'It's expensive, but that's because of the incredibly high quality of materials and the skill and craft put into it'; and the other end being 'It's expensive, even though it's made of the same stuff and with the same processes as something much cheaper'.

Now, stuff on the second end of the spectrum may very well look a thousand times better than the cheap stuff. And I'm not questioning whether the MMM gats or the Lanvins look fucking baller or not.

4. Razele

Razele Senior member

Nice sneaks are alot nicer then cheap ones.

However if your new to all this I'd reccomend buying other things first.

5. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

there are definitely better things to spend money on. And I have some pretty sweet sneakers.

6. corsairjuly

corsairjuly Well-Known Member

Do the painted GATs ever go on sale? Really want to pick up a pair. [​IMG]

7. kwoyeu

kwoyeu Senior member

Now, stuff on the second end of the spectrum may very well look a thousand times better than the cheap stuff. And I'm not questioning whether the MMM gats or the Lanvins look fucking baller or not.

I don't get it - if it looks a THOUSAND times better than the cheap stuff (and if all that should go into determining the 'real price' of an item is whether it will 'look good') doesn't that at least justify some pretty steep price differences? and we're not talking about a thousand times more expensive here. a pair of mmm gats retail for under $500 and you can (with some effort) get them under $300.

8. hurhur

hurhur Senior member

someone sell me a pair of white MMM GATs in 41.

9. jet

jet Persian Bro

they just look a lot better than shitty sneakers. isn't that good enough for you?
    this are they worth it? no but I'd rather not wear shitty sneakers as my friend diamonds is saying here

10. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

If anyone is looking for a pair of neoprene Raf highs in 44, check my sig. Just a little too big for me

11. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

yep

12. coldforge

coldforge Senior member

I don't get it - if it looks a THOUSAND times better than the cheap stuff (and if all that should go into determining the 'real price' of an item is whether it will 'look good') doesn't that at least justify some pretty steep price differences? and we're not talking about a thousand times more expensive here. a pair of mmm gats retail for under $500 and you can (with some effort) get them under $300.

Sure it does. I mean, I don't care"”I'm not really in the market for any MMM GATs even if they were $100, just because I don't really wear sneakers. I'm not trying to question where anybody puts their money. I was just curious what the pricing breakdown was for super high-end sneakers. Again"”I obviously need to make this very clear"”I don't buy sneakers, and have absolutely no dog in this fight. I'm just curious.

Because when I compare a $500 pair of shell cordovans to a pair of Aldos, I'm gonna immediately see that the leather is of a higher quality, the stitching is hand-done, the sole is better-constructed, etc. etc. And"”and this is the important part"”just because I'm IGNORANT of what goes into a pair of MMM GATs, I have no idea if those factors, like the quality of the material, the effort put into the construction, etc., are somewhat similar to a pair of New Balance, or if they're miles ahead of a pair of New Balance. I can already readily acknowledge that they're much, much, much better looking than a pair of New Balance, and if I wore a lot of sneakers, I know which one I'd rather have on.

13. snake

snake Senior member

How do we justify the price of baller sneakers? We don't. It's not the quality of leather, construction, nor their longevity. It's simply because we like them, and that rings true with a lot of the things you'll see on this forum. Whether an item is worth its asking price is subjective, but I personally am willing to pay for an idea if I like it enough.

14. Razele

Razele Senior member

Cold, Aldens have the worst quality control, dodgy construction and wacky sizing and they are a massive favorite ATM

It's really about an image, an idea, conceptualizing a theme, rather then some rational, logical, bullet list approach to design. There isn't always a methodology to this.

15. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

I figure "baller sneakers" are better constructed than the non-baller counterparts, but the quality increase isn't proportional to the price increase