***Finally an Official Baller sneaker thread ($300 minimum)***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Apr 12, 2010.

1. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Serious? For what, having costly goods? Who sends hate PMs. I mean I get those for moderating but that's because people get upset when you ban them.

Trust me, you think SF people could hate, NTers are a whole new other breed. I once posted a pic of Jude Law to show how his suit fits and I got about 2-3 PMs asking if I were gay because I posted a pic of a guy. I even get hate PMs because I do not show my face on my WAYWT pics and they tell me to "man up and show your face expletives, expletives...." Trust me, some people there just hate to hate but others just seems to despise me.

2. Listi

Listi Senior member

That obnoxiously monogrammed LV shit has been around for years, long before Kanye.

Aware, but it wasn't a hip-hop brand.

I think my argument still holds, because it's now in the realm of a different clientele for all the wrong reasons... Even if part of it's fanbase liked it for the wrong reasons already.

3. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

what is NT? nike talk?

4. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Aware, but it wasn't a hip-hop brand. I think my argument still holds, because it's now in the realm of a different clientele for all the wrong reasons... Even if part of it's fanbase liked it for the wrong reasons already.
    At least now LV has released a line exclusively for men, before it was mostly associated with as a womens brand. The graphite line is pretty nice, which I admit has been overly used by rappers. I mean I like it but I would never wear the shoes, belt, tee, sweater, bandana and beanie while holding the bag all at the same time.

5. Nil

Nil Senior member

Aware, but it wasn't a hip-hop brand.

It actually was. The late-90's, early 2000's (before Kanye) was when that flossing luxury brands started. Check out any of those Cash Money videos from that era, dudes are name dropping Gucci, LV, Burberry, Prada, etc.

6. c00kz

c00kz Senior member

Yeah, it was definitely around before Kanye.. he's a recent phenomenon. Him dressing designer is also pretty recent.

7. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I may get flamed for this but I do give Kanye credit for bringing the polo shirt back. I know, I know it never left but the sudden resurgence of polo shirts a couple of years ago was mostly because of him. He made it "cool" (however you define cool) and not just a golfer or tennis players staple.

8. sq4you

sq4you Mid-level baller

It's amazing the effect of black people with money on black people without money these days.

ftfy

9. c00kz

c00kz Senior member

On that note, I saw a double popped polo layer in the wild yesterday, at a bus stop. Didn't snag a picture though, still bummed over that.

10. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

On that note, I saw a double popped polo layer in the wild yesterday, at a bus stop. Didn't snag a picture though, still bummed over that.

[​IMG]

11. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

These are my baller sneakers..
    [​IMG]

12. rocks

rocks Senior member

I know, but Kanye did it to good brands with lots of nice stuff... but then they only wore the ugly "LOOK AT ME!" stuff and gives the whole brand a bad name. Kanye turned Louis Vuitton into a fucking HIPHOP BRAND in the minds of millions. Which is horrible. Seriously, what's next, Kiton?
    Don't care for hip-hop; however, I will say that LV to me has always been considered obnoxious. I never understood what the fuss was all about, but I guess it is true, that most people with money have very poor taste. So in conclusion, Kanye's involvement have not negatively impacted the brand's image in my eyes because to me it was pure garbage at least from an aesthetic standpoint. I will also add that the same phenomenon holds true here on SF, there are many unappealing brands that guys drool over here simply because of the premium price tag. Remove the price tag and all the hype is eliminated.

13. DLester

DLester Senior member

I will also add that the same phenomenon holds true here on SF, there are many unappealing brands that guys drool over here simply because of the premium price tag. Remove the price tag and all the hype is eliminated.
    Such as . . . ?

14. puddin

puddin Senior member

I know, but Kanye did it to good brands with lots of nice stuff...

but then they only wore the ugly "LOOK AT ME!" stuff and gives the whole brand a bad name.

Kanye turned Louis Vuitton into a fucking HIPHOP BRAND in the minds of millions. Which is horrible. Seriously, what's next, Kiton?

there's no doubt that kanye popularized (or rather, increased the popularity) of lv among a certain age group/population segment, but rappers have been flossing since the 80s, whether its dookie ropes, gucci glasses, prada, lv, drop tops, whatever. but i mean, to a lot of kids listening to kanye, biggie is old school, and they don't know or don't care that he flossed designer shit; they only care about what the artists they listen to wear.

anyway, point is, this is nothing new, and who cares whether rappers or rap listeners are wearing designer shit you like. just do you.

jet- it seems arbitrary to pinpoint rap kids or hypebeast kids as being sheep, that shit is everywhere. definitely happens here too.

15. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

Great, it is now the Official Kanye Sneaker Thread.