***Finally an Official Baller sneaker thread ($300 minimum)***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Apr 12, 2010.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

This. It's not easy to figure out who does the tailored pieces for different companies (even the tell-tale sizing and client tags can be very similar), much less figure out who makes sneakers, which are really, a cheap commodity that requires a whole lot less skill to make than benchmade shoes or tailored clothing. And even if you know the manufacturing company, you don't necessarily know the exact factory that makes individual pieces. If any of you have ever seen "Gomorrah", their depiction of how manufacturing of designer pieces is auctioned out is pretty accurate.

AQ's "custom sole" talk is bullshit too. Either he made it up, or he was sold a bill of goods. I used to live in Boston, which was the home of Saucony, and I knew a lot of Reebok and Saucony designers there. The soles for sneakers get redesigned all the time. Actually, incremental adjustments in the soles are the selling point for performance shoes. Yes, it does cost money to start up the production, but you don't need too many units to make up your investment.

True true true - you will never know where your clothes are made, there's nothing linking anything to anywhere, tbh. Not that it really matters if the business practice is legit enough and the product passes muster. Who cares if CP's are made in one factory and Neil Barretts are made in a different town? They put Getrag transmissions in American cars and they put them in exotic supercars, so the raw pieces are the same, but we buy stuff for design and most of all, prestige... quality is just a perception issue, unless you know what is going on in the backstage.

2. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

G'dayum would I love some toj folk boots!![​IMG]

3. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

quality is just a perception issue, unless you know what is going on in the backstage.

Is it really? Doesn't some sneakers only have the sole glued/vulcanized while others are actually stitched on the side? I am no expert in construction but others have mentioned here that RO sneakers has the sole stitched at least half way though and my guess is that quality on those would be higher.

I think quality and construction also plays a role. From personal experience, when it comes to Retro Air Jordans, who pretty much makes all their shoes from China or Taiwan, has horrible quality. While their non-retro shoes, usually hold up well and with much better material. I mean the price difference from an ok material to a great might be small but it must be big enough that Jordan Brand (a pretty huge company) would use cheaper materials to save a few bucks?

Then again most Retro Air Jordan sell out no matter how crappy the build and materials are so maybe that is why they try to get away with it?

4. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

except in the case of ro if you look at sz there were many complaints about them falling apart so quickly

5. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

Yes I have made a handful of orders from them and never had a problem, nice to have a decent domestic e-tailer.

6. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

except in the case of ro if you look at sz there were many complaints about them falling apart so quickly
    I don't really go to other forums like SuFu so I've never seen or hear much complaints about it unless I missed some on this thread. What problems were they having?

7. the shah

I don't really go to other forums like SuFu so I've never seen or hear much complaints about it unless I missed some on this thread. What problems were they having?

read a bunch of posts on how they were "falling apart," at least ones from the past two years, from pissed off people who blew 1k on the sneakers

8. impolyt_one

Is it really? Doesn't some sneakers only have the sole glued/vulcanized while others are actually stitched on the side? I am no expert in construction but others have mentioned here that RO sneakers has the sole stitched at least half way though and my guess is that quality on those would be higher. I think quality and construction also plays a role. From personal experience, when it comes to Retro Air Jordans, who pretty much makes all their shoes from China or Taiwan, has horrible quality. While their non-retro shoes, usually hold up well and with much better material. I mean the price difference from an ok material to a great might be small but it must be big enough that Jordan Brand (a pretty huge company) would use cheaper materials to save a few bucks? Then again most Retro Air Jordan sell out no matter how crappy the build and materials are so maybe that is why they try to get away with it?
    Well, give and take man, can't compare $30 chucks to $300 Italian made sneakers, but complaints like 'oh my god I've daily worn my CPs for 6 months and the sole is wearing out.. can I re-sole them?' are not quality issues... I see so many people confusing real wear for being a quality issue, because people come from this non SF-approved yet normal American over consuming world of having 10 items of the same style in different colors and then make the leap to, yet only the investment in one piece as a 'quality' thing as a replacement and then expect stuff to be 10 times stronger because it costs 10 times more... which just isn't gonna happen, that's false logic. In fact, the more desirable and luxurious the material something is made from, it's likely the less durable it is, just because it's fleeting... common sense we all learned as young ones...
    delicate high fashion shoes - high priced, but are not mandated by anyone to have to stand up to tons of wear. RO's in particular, IMO, should be treated like you would treat $1200 dress shoes - that is to say, remind yourself they cost $1200, wear them sparingly, and don't expect to last them forever. The only difference is that you can't do much maintenance to sneakers like you can dress shoes, but for high fashion, that is beyond the point.... buying RO's and expecting $1200 worth of Nike value out of them is silly, that is not what they are supposed to be. They're supposed to be $1200 of commercial art for feet, a high wear position. That's how I see it.

9. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

Everyone repeat after me:

"I buy expensive sneakers because they make me feel good. I will not try to justify my purchase, but will accept that I am a huge label whore, and susceptible to modern marketing techniques."

Has anyone ever argued otherwise?

Probably the most frivolous, yet absurdly satisfying purchases I've ever made. It's nice to be able to admit your vanity and not pretend to be highbrow sometimes.

I dunno about "marketing" (unless you're saying that SF markets certain things itself, which is true, and hilariously effective), since most of the shit I buy I just see on the internet and think "Whee! This looks cool!! I think I'll waste a couple hundred dollars."

10. the shah

^^ i wasnt contesting that. it was an example of price to quality assumptions that fail. like you said, they might look like bball shoes.....

11. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Having to baby RO's that kind of sucks, I mean I can't imagine them putting it through rough wears either. I mean I don't baby my shoes, but I do not play basketball in them and they hold up well, I can't imagine people playing basketball or going hiking in their RO's (well maybe Kunk) so to hear that a lot has complained about quality is somewhat disappointing.

[​IMG] I wasn't really comparing chucks and CP's though, I was actually comparing CP's and others to RO but that is because I didn't know there were reports of them falling apart.

Again, I am no expert so those seems like a pretty rational take on why a pair of shoe may have better quality than the other, if the materials used and construction are better.

So does anyone know if CP and Lanvin actually use those stitches on the mid-sole to put the shoe together or are they just for the look?

12. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Has anyone ever argued otherwise?

Probably the most frivolous, yet absurdly satisfying purchases I've ever made. It's nice to be able to admit your vanity and not pretend to be highbrow sometimes.

I dunno about "marketing" (unless you're saying that SF markets certain things itself, which is true, and hilariously effective), since most of the shit I buy I just see on the internet and think "Whee! This looks cool!! I think I'll waste a couple hundred dollars."

Yah, I don't think many has justified their purchases here. I mean I only defend the Lanvin sole because I like it, never really said that it was of better quality. I always consider luxury purchase to be unreasonable (it's a want, not a need) and if the buyer can accept that, then they'll sleep better at night.

As for marketing, I don't really think I am affected much either, since I really do not see much of the shoes I purchase here on ads or television. Unless the forum is what he refers to as modern marketing then I may be slightly affected. Who knows, maybe SQ4 does work for Margiela. [​IMG]

13. impolyt_one

Having to baby RO's that kind of sucks, I mean I can't imagine them putting it through rough wears either. I mean I don't baby my shoes, but I do not play basketball in them and they hold up well, I can't imagine people playing basketball or going hiking in their RO's (well maybe Kunk) so to hear that a lot has complained about quality is somewhat disappointing.

[​IMG] I wasn't really comparing chucks and CP's though, I was actually comparing CP's and others to RO but that is because I didn't know there were reports of them falling apart.

Again, I am no expert so those seems like a pretty rational take on why a pair of shoe may have better quality than the other, if the materials used and construction are better.

So does anyone know if CP and Lanvin actually use those stitches on the mid-sole to put the shoe together or are they just for the look?

Those stitches are actually sewn to the upper, I think it's actually the only connection they make, as above that line I don't think they use cement or glue.

14. snake

snake Senior member

I actually went day hiking in my CPs once because I didn't have any appropriate shoes to hike in (still don't)[​IMG]

15. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

^^ How did it hold up?

Those stitches are actually sewn to the upper, I think it's actually the only connection they make, as above that line I don't think they use cement or glue.

That is good to hear. So in that case, do you think it would last longer than say MMM GATs who just glue their soles? Price-wise, it is between CP and Lanvin depending on the style. But I guess that would be a good example of better construction, no? Overall, they will probably hold up to the same amount of wear anyways but stitching is considered better right?

It most likely won't affect my purchases, I am just curious.