1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***Finally an Official Baller sneaker thread ($300 minimum)***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Severisth

Severisth Well-Known Member

GATS more comfortable, but CP Achilles more durable. Once Achilles break in they get pretty comfortable though.

2. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

Also depends which Achilles. Canvas and perf are comfortable right out of the box, smooth leather take a good while to break in.

3. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

Yeah that's kind of what I figured. Been caught in a buy-and-exchange cycle trying different CPs. Probably the break-in will be worth it for the vulcanized rubber soles in the CPs. But I'm so indecisive on color. Wish I could just be happy with white.

Oh yeah, anyone know if there's a difference between the Achilles "Original" and the "Premium" other than price?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  4. MaiLam

MaiLam Well-Known Member

GATS for comfort, definitely. About the same for durability, though maybe ask yourself which you think would look better aged/beat up.

5. Severisth

Severisth Well-Known Member

You might want someone else to confirm, but I think the Premium ones have some additional stitching on the sides, and are a bit more "padded" feeling.

6. Khronos

Khronos Well-Known Member

GAT's have a bit of arc support but that's about it. I've only bought perf versions of achilles, and they've all been super comfortable no insole needed (though a arch insert would probably be nice). They also last forever, can't imagine gats outlasting the in any way.

^yea premium/winter achilles are usually padded at tongue/sides.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  7. masshi

masshi Well-Known Member

is tbs still the cheapest place to get white achilles lows?

8. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

TBS and Frans Boone are about the same, though I'm not sure how FB ships and/or chances of extra charges on delivery.

1 person likes this.
  9. needhelp123

needhelp123 Well-Known Member

MMM are like one of the most comfy sneaker ever. Lanvins are also very comfy.

10. sepp

sepp Well-Known Member

Can vouch for MMM. The GAT I bought recently felt comfy straight from the box.

Anyone has experience with Y3 here? Possible to share?

11. BostonHedonist

Just ordered a pair of Buttero Taninos to try out. Love the way those look.

12. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Well-Known Member

It's weird because I've never had a pair of sneakers (always cheap ones, Adidas, Nike, Vans) that (when sized correctly) were uncomfortable? I mean, compared to boots and shoes, which can be much tougher on the feet, they're all usually supersoft and comfy, never had blisters or anything like that. That's why I'm always surprised to hear that this or that $$$ sneakers are super comfy.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  13. sepp

sepp Well-Known Member

I think it is in relation to the expensive price paid; one will expect the sneakers to be really comfy.

I do agree with you, my Crocs and Converse were super comfortable. LOL!

Boots or leather stuff will be different. I don't feel good walking for long distance in my Guidi and CCP. The A1923 was great despite covering over 10 km; no discomfort or anything.

Could be due to the sizing, boots or my feet shape.

14. needhelp123

yeah i think anywhere over 10k thats where problems begin when you wear leather boots

15. dmash

dmash Well-Known Member

LOL @ durability comments, these are sneakers that are finished once the sole is worn away. Not like you're periodically adding rubber and have to worry about the upper being 'durable'.

This x10000000

I've had plenty of baller sneakers and they were all comfortable. A pair of Nikes are still way better though IMO.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  16. needhelp123

I had Raf Simon Hi Velcros and they tore the crap out of the back of my heels hurt so much I had to sell them after less than 8 wears

17. BostonHedonist

I'd say that's more reason to discuss durabity. Which reminds me, anyone got an opinion the relative durability of vulcanized rubber soles vs vibram cup soles vs - say - gum soles?

18. dmash

dmash Well-Known Member

Lanvin, Balenciaga, CP, a bunch of people use Margom (sp?) soles. Definitely super legit in my opinion. It seems I can wear a pair of Achilles forever and then still sell with tread left.

Since you're curious, here's a reference pic of my current pair. These have about 50-60km on them according to my iPhone. The only wear is what you see at the heel from me lazily dragging, the rest of the sole is practically as new.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  19. Tsujigiri

Tsujigiri Well-Known Member

What does the Margom sole count as, vulcanized rubber or just rubber?

I'm guessing these premium sneakers don't use polyurethane cushioning, which would explain why Nikes are more comfortable (and also fall apart from degradation after a couple decades). Anyone know any details on that?

20. BostonHedonist

I've seen CP soles described as vulcanized on retail sites, so I'm assuming that's what Margom does. But I dunno for sure.

Starting to break in my CPs. Love these shoes, but good God, $400 is way overpriced for what you get. Their popularity is clearly out of control. Still love em though. No regrets. Can't wait til my Butteros come in so I can compare.

Anyone have an opinion on Pantofola D'Oro or Diemme?