• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finally a viable barefoot style dress shoe?

Wally

Reaction score
Like some others here I got interested in barefoot running and minimalist shoes several years ago. It has been frustrating and uncomfortable to switch back to shoes with a heel for work and going out. I have really tried everything from sanuks to terra plana to moccasins. For casual wear I can get by with these solutions. Actually, I discovered arrow moccasins are a perfect solution for stylish barefoot style casual wear. Opening ceremony m1 boots aren't bad either has they have a minimal heel.

But so far I haven't found a dress shoe alternative. I'm hoping this is it:
http://www.indiegogo.com/the-Primal-Professional-barefoot-dress-shoe

I think I am going to pre-order. If anyone else does, please post here and we can discuss. I am especially hopefully that the founder mentions he might expand into brown leather, wingtips, etc, and that the production model will be full grain leather.

Last edited:

kasakka

Reaction score
Interesting, but I'm not sure if that truly counts as a barefoot shoe. Stuff like the Vibram Fivefingers has the toes separated and most likely a far more flexible sole compared to this so it feels more like your feet with just some extra protection. This doesn't seem all that different from just a typical Converse with a flat sole even though this one probably has a thinner one.

Wally

Reaction score
I was worried about that too but if you look at the video under Gallery there are some things of note:
1. Natural shape so wide forefoot and no toe compression
2. Very flexible sole - see video
3. Only 8mm sole - the same as vibrams (include midsole and outsole)

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You should probably just learn to deal with it or become a monk

Normally I don't like people with intense modern wellness fixations - **** bro, gotta have my ziploc bag of spring water so I can hydrate, how do I stay comfortable in these wool pants, etc - but if there's a market for it why not pursue your weirdly specific dream, the only crime that kickstarter guy is committing is bad acting. Plus if the barefoot running thing goes mainstream (CSI episode where a barefoot murderer proves impossible to catch, etc) then maybe meek hopeless guys will stop wearing grooved orthopedic reeboks, you never know.

Alphataru

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with that guy's idea, but for now if you're trying to wear normal-looking shoes that work like barefoot ... it's just not happening

That's the whole point of the guy's invention, brah.

yukihiro

Reaction score
It's interesting, definitely not my thing though. I can see how some people would agree with the guy, but I'm not so sure how big of a market there actually is.. Barefoot running guys who need dress shoes, guys who like Vibrams but need dress shoes, and who else?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics