Final exams

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Connemara, Dec 12, 2007.

1. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

In my second year I figured out the secret to finals: go to every class, do all your reading as assigned, do all assignments as assigned. Finals are relatively painless if you do that. In fact, school is relatively painless if you do that, even if it's a 100% final. Get behind in a class, in particular, a class that builds cumulatively all semester, like say a math or physics class, and you are sunk.

Conn, enjoy things. I think most of us wish we could have done school on the parent's dime.

+1.

My Calculus final doesn't review what we went over the beginning of the semester, but the chapter we are currently on is a sum of all the information that came before this chapter.

Jon.

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I'm having a bitch of a time with finals.

Workin so much is killin me, and while my boss keeps saying to me that if i need to only work 30-35 a week so i can study for finals more, i know that in reality he would expect all my work to still get done in that smaller amount of time.

C'est la vie, eh?

3. magnus_h

magnus_h Senior member

In my second year I figured out the secret to finals: go to every class, do all your reading as assigned, do all assignments as assigned. Finals are relatively painless if you do that. In fact, school is relatively painless if you do that, even if it's a 100% final. Get behind in a class, in particular, a class that builds cumulatively all semester, like say a math or physics class, and you are sunk.

Conn, enjoy things. I think most of us wish we could have done school on the parent's dime.

+1

Has worked wonderfully for me. Though I study comp sci so I don't have to write that many essays. Only did one for a class in cognition, apparently the programs we write are supposed to be easy to use by regular people.

And ImageWIS, calculators for a calculus class? Dunno what use it would be (though I later bought one for the course in statistics and probability theory, was quite useful there).

4. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

+1

Has worked wonderfully for me. Though I study comp sci so I don't have to write that many essays. Only did one for a class in cognition, apparently the programs we write are supposed to be easy to use by regular people.

And ImageWIS, calculators for a calculus class? Dunno what use it would be (though I later bought one for the course in statistics and probability theory, was quite useful there).

Well, it helps when making sure that I properly graphed an equation by hand. Also, it can find integrals and derivatives, so I can double check my work. It's not that I can't do the problems by hand, as my work can I attest, I can. But, it's nice to be able to double check.

Jon.

5. samblau

samblau Senior member

I really DON'T miss finals........I never understood why I did worse in classes I loved and well in classes I hated. Grading, at least in law, was so subjective that those grades cannot possibly be a true indicator of ones abilities and yes, now that I have a job I along with everyone else could care less about the grades. Law school exams were more about style than substance. Writing in the correct format was more of a challenge first year than knowign the substnace of the law. Some research papers were actually enjoyable...take home finals the worst...rampant cheating at my school.....multiple choice not as easy as it sounds, esp in international tax law! Good luck to those of you in school!
    -Sam

6. thinman

thinman Senior member

+1 to everything.

I just _gave_ my final this morning, so I have only grading to do. I'm convinced that I spend more time _writing_ a good final than my students do studying to take it.

I empathize with our students this semester because we had a monster ice storm Sunday/Monday and most of the town is without power. I stayed at my brother's place last night and discovered when I showed up to give the final this morning that a student had camped overnight in my classroom. It sucks to take finals under these conditions.

7. doink

doink Senior member

I did not mean for my list of exams to sound like whining. Except for one class I have been on top of and doing well.

I will be happy to go back to work full time and school part time though.

8. Histrion

Histrion Senior member

Now that sounds like fun. I would enjoy that class greatly.

We also saw some stuff by Eschyle and Pierre Manent. It was all very interesting, but even the professor in private admitted that he tried to teach way too much stuff all at once, so its hard to feel ready for this exam.

9. mano

mano Senior member

You want to meet my daughter? She's gorgeous. [​IMG]

10. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

Today's youth; tomorrow's leaders. [​IMG]

My daughter's going through college finals also, only she's not whining like you guys. [​IMG]

She works three or four days a week (commuting by public transportation and walking 40 minutes each way), participates in extracurricular activities and has a social life. When there are finals, she cuts back on most everything other than studying. [​IMG]

We're all very impressed. I'm not whining, I'm pontificating.

11. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

All i have left is my research paper on iberian early modern jews in amsterdam and latin america. I have 11 pages written (the amsterdam section and intro) but i need to edit it and do the latin american part. Due tomorrow at 4pm. Safe to say i'm not sleeping tonight.

12. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

Already on break bitches, and no finals before May.

The English really are more civilized.

13. stickonatree

stickonatree Senior member

hmm let's see...

just finished my immunology final this morning, went as well as you think a graduate immunology class can go.

then this afternoon i went into my research lab only to find out that i didn't have to be there, and so wasted an hour of my time as well as losing my bus pass and had to look silly borrowing a dollar from my PI, a dude with a MD + PhD.

finished a microbio lab practical exam last friday, studied for that for days on end.

then friday, a biochem final. don't even feel like studying, there's NO ONE at the library after the first 2 days of finals week...

it's safe to say i've had a horrible time this finals week, in terms of hours slept and hairs ripped out!

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

All i have left is my research paper on iberian early modern jews in amsterdam and latin america. I have 11 pages written (the amsterdam section and intro) but i need to edit it and do the latin american part. Due tomorrow at 4pm. Safe to say i'm not sleeping tonight.

Wow, that bit of knowledge is gonna help you score a year end bonus one day.

15. mano

mano Senior member

We're all very impressed. I'm not whining, I'm pontificating.

Now you're sounding like a real college student!