1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Final Best Neapolitan silhouette comparison: Attolini, Borrelli, Rubinacci, Kiton

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Soph, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Soph

Soph Distinguished Member

Here are the best shots I could find from virtually the same angles.
    I think this is the best representation of Rubinacci thanks IMatt.
    Pinning is on 3 of these jackets in a similar manner
    The Rubinacci may not be pinned.
    The Kiton roll looks a bit artifically rolled.pressed moreso than most stock photos I've seen.
    I would say Borrelli was heavily influened by Attolini design.
    The rolls of these jackets are not an accurate representation of how they wear. Most all of these roll fairly well.
    No more Neapolitan silho posts after this one[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jtw3036

jtw3036 Well-Known Member

3. Soph

Here's how I've found Borrelli to fit in the real world, they roll much more than photos may lead you to believe, Attolini the same in my experience.

[​IMG]

4. Roger

Roger Distinguished Member

Soph, you've omitted part of the overall silhouette by showing only the waist-up pictures. Differences in trousers contribute to the overall gestalt, and manifest differences among the Neapolitan tailors. I have found Borrelli trousers to be significantly narrower (dimensions like 17" knee circumferences and 14.5" cuff circumferences) than Kiton (more like 19.5" knee, 17-18" cuff) and Attolini (more like 18.5" knee, 17" cuff). I have no experience whatsoever with Rubinacci. A suit has to work as a whole--jacket and trousers together creating a silhouette and "look."

One other point: It is completely impossible to capture a tailor's "typical" jacket silhouette via one example picture. There will be individual differences within each tailor to an extent that a second set of pictures from each tailor could change our impressions of various silhouette details significantly. In addition, photographing idiosyncracies will obscure things. To conduct this analysis properly, we would have to study many examples from each tailor before discovering tailor-specific details that would enable a general conclusion.

5. Soph

Soph, you've omitted part of the overall silhouette by showing only the waist-up pictures. Differences in trousers contribute to the overall gestalt, and manifest differences among the Neapolitan tailors. I have found Borrelli trousers to be significantly narrower (dimensions like 17" knee circumferences and 14.5" cuff circumferences) than Kiton (more like 19.5" knee, 17-18" cuff) and Attolini (more like 18.5" knee, 17" cuff). I have no experience whatsoever with Rubinacci. A suit has to work as a whole--jacket and trousers together creating a silhouette and "look."

One other point: It is completely impossible to capture a tailor's "typical" jacket silhouette via one example picture. There will be individual differences within each tailor to an extent that a second set of pictures from each tailor could change our impressions of various silhouette details significantly. In addition, photographing idiosyncracies will obscure things. To conduct this analysis properly, we would have to study many examples from each tailor before discovering tailor-specific details that would enable a general conclusion.

--- I agree with everything you say. Also, ideally, the jackets should all be either suit or sportcoats and of the same color.

However, it does show you the vast difference between the Attolini(Borrelli) stance and say Rubinacci at the other end of the spectrum.

6. william

william Distinguished Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All of these are gorgeous and perfect to my eyes.

7. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Distinguished Member

The Borrelli has an odd shoulder to me while the Kiton is most pleasing.

8. Soph

I prefer after really waying what appeals to me as unbiased as I can with a more angular/masculine shoulder(imo) with a more V taper silo. Its a very lean/athletic look.

Although I don't like the rounded look of Rubinacci as well as, the bespoke service and quality are quite appealing.

Can't say I really dislike any of these; just a preference. I find the Kiton the least unique and inspired; but wouldn't kick it out of bed by any means. My preference would be bespoke Attolini if money was no object.

9. Dragon

Dragon Distinguished Member

An interesting snippet I cut from some comments posted on the Sartorialist Blog:

I thought it was interesting because it reminds me a lot of when everyone was going crazy over Armani suits. (Not that RTW Attolini, Borrelli, Isaia, etc. are more appealing than Kiton in my opinion)

10. Chris "Italia"

Chris "Italia" Senior Member

If I were to pick a RTW or MTM: Attolini.

Bespoke: Rubinacci.

Problem is: I have to go to Naples or Milan for Rubinacci...

Attolini sells in Vacca shops?

11. whnay.

whnay. Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Problem is: I have to go to Naples or Milan for Rubinacci...
    Or London.

12. Chris "Italia"

Chris "Italia" Senior Member

Or London.

Yes that too..

But, I would rather go to Naples... and see 'em all...... Then take my pick.

13. iyorito

iyorito Senior Member

A Rubinacci jacket.

14. iyorito

iyorito Senior Member

Another one. Both un-pinned by the way.

15. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Another one. Both un-pinned by the way.
    Nice. Did you have them made in Milan? The only reason that I ask is that Rubinacci Naples usually uses a front cut while Rubinacci Milan usually uses a front dart. Obviously, you can get either one in either place. Great picture of how soft they really are.