• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

filson

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
for footwear.

kbuzz

Reaction score
My personal two cents is that this post should not be viewed as a retread. The trend to outsourcing oversees, particularly for an iconic american brand is beyond disturbing. Will there be nothing left here? See: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ghlight=filson

Before you post a rant against my opinion you should do a brief google search on the current production of important medication. When our country's drug supply is totally outsourced, potentially placing the health of millions of americans at risk, the trend has gone to far.

At this rate im waiting for some wise ass Investment Bank to suggest we outsource:

(1) National Security- heck someone can do it cheaper and
(2) the presidential race....something like "hey if it worked for Filson and Pendleton why not monetize the presidential race"

Rainy Monday AM rant sorry....

mr.loverman

Reaction score
has anyone bought any filson stuff this season and can comment on the current quality?

i really like some of their stuff and i'm still thinking about getting some.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
I found some Filson bags (plastic not actual bags) in my mothers crafts room when I was over there this afternoon. So I am guessing either my father or myself will be recieving something on the 25th. Don't care to comment on quality until then. I hope she didn't get me anything from there as I requested other things. If you don't have a place near you where you can check it out, I will be driving right past it tomorrow if you want me to look at something specific. I doubt any of it is **** quality but I know for a fact that a lot of it is not as good as it used to be.

pitboss12

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr.loverman
are there any brands like filson used to be that are still good quality or not imported?

Not as many as we would like, but they are out there. I flip through a Japanese magazine called Free & Easy. The focus is on workwear and some american brands (some still made in the U.S.). Despite the majority of the text being in Japanese (there is some english), the great pictures and close-ups of the labels allow me to research brands on the internet.

Shabba!

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK this is an old thread but one worth posting in. In 2005 Filson had something going called The Lodge Collection. This collection was an attempt by Filson to get into more of a main stream market. This line was made overseas and the quality was up to par with USA made Filson products. A simple fact is a high quality USA made shirt could run 150 bucks or more. Filson wanted to hit the 100 buck price point for a good high quality shirt so it was outsourced.

The main line Filson stuff is USA made with some of the newer stuff being outsourced. An example is the Aviator leather coat. Yep it's made overseas but the leather and craftsmanship is top notch all the way. I can buy any brand leather coat I want and this one is the one I'm getting. I own a ton of Filson items and none of them have disappointed me over the years.

sanrensho

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hossoso
Most is made overseas. All wools and cottons from what they have told me. I think they said the luggage is still made here. I am going down there tomorrow for my fathers Christmas present, I will ask them then.

I've been checking the Filson site for a few years. Since the RL exec got involved, they have greatly increased their email ads and item stock. Most of their new stuff is imported...but I've never bought any of it so I can't speak about the quality.

However, I have bought some of their luggage. It's really rugged stuff, but the quality is hit and miss. I had to return one bag twice because they could not sew the closure strap on straight. I'm not talking a small error - the first one was offset by nearly an inch and the bag would not close properly. The second was crooked, and also the shoulder strap was cut from the weak part of the hide.

For these reasons, I won't buy Filson by mail order.

norton

Reaction score
I've been very happy with the oiled cotton and heavier wool products, and they were all made int he U.S.A. I bought a couple filson cotton shirts from Sierra Trading Post that were only so-so. My big complaint is their lack of tall sizes.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Direct from the manufacturer and jacked up. Not good at all. I'll hazard a guess that the buyout and transition period didn't go very well. (POed employee revenge syndrome) The worst thing I heard in the store was an issue over missing buttons under the collar of a coat. Given our volume that would be a fraction of a percentage point of subpar product.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
OK this is an old thread but one worth posting in. In 2005 Filson had something going called The Lodge Collection. This collection was an attempt by Filson to get into more of a main stream market. This line was made overseas and the quality was up to par with USA made Filson products. A simple fact is a high quality USA made shirt could run 150 bucks or more. Filson wanted to hit the 100 buck price point for a good high quality shirt so it was outsourced.

The main line Filson stuff is USA made with some of the newer stuff being outsourced. An example is the Aviator leather coat. Yep it's made overseas but the leather and craftsmanship is top notch all the way. I can buy any brand leather coat I want and this one is the one I'm getting. I own a ton of Filson items and none of them have disappointed me over the years.

The Lodge line is what you see being discounted by Sierra TP. I can't imagine old customers would buy the stuff.....

afreegreek

Reaction score
lots of stuff is going to be 'out sourced' if you Americans don't get a handle on your government (federal, state, and local).. taxing and regulating the crap out of everything that moves is a great way to ensure that nothing moves..

oh, and since when did doing what you need to do to keep the doors open equal greed?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics