• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Filson

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
I am not certain if anyone here wears their clothes but my family has a long history with Filson. For around 100 years they have made fine clothing in Seattle but in the past several years they have moved their production overseas. I do not want to pass judgment on them too harshly out of devotion and heritage but a few of their made in Hong Kong or Macau jackets I bought a couple of years ago are not holding up as well as similar items made at their production facility on 4th Ave Seattle almost 20 years ago. I am not bemoaning Filson's decision to move production overseas, I understand that, and I do not want them to close but I wish they would not reliquish quality control and throw away a community identity/credibility that was hard earned. The local buyers disatisfaction has likely gone unnoticed by Filson due to their recent popularity and write-ups in GQ and Newsweek but, to add insult to injury, at the same time they moved production to cheaper facilities, they raised prices. This may be due to the economy, it may be due to the fact that they can get away with it. Something doesn't add up.

Does your city have any venerable clothing institutions? Have they compromised?

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My brother and I just inherited a couple of Filson work jackets that had belonged to my grandfather that my grandmother was going to otherwise get rid of.

I don't have experience with the new stuff, but I will agree the stuff from 30-40 years ago was pretty amazingly tough.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indeed, I was underwhelmed (after reading good reviews here) in a Filson store in a mall, by the leather jackets with "made in China" tags.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I can't believe I've never gone in that store. I will try to check it out ASAP. I have a pair of wool cavalry twill pants that were handed down from my late uncle and may have belonged to my grandfather before him... they show no signs of ever dying.

Droog

Reaction score
I check their web site periodically but have stayed away because of the overseas sources. This is a general rule of thumb for me with some exceptions (as when I can personally inspect the merchandise or get advice to the contrary). From the above, glad I've done this with with Filson.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Agreed - the 'old' stuff was indestuctible (and looked good, IMO, for what it was - utilitarian outdoor gear). The Lodge line doesn't cut it for me, and not surprisingly, has already started to appear in STP....
frown.gif

Kasper

Reaction score
I was in a Waffle House in Dayton Ohio late last year and got in a conversation with an old timer at the counter after I commented on how I liked his hunting jacket. He said it was a Filson and then started getting angry because he found out that an executive from "Ralph Laurent" bought the company and sent all the clothing to be made overseas.

I just looked up the information now after reading this thread:

http://multichannelmerchant.com/news...n_sold_former/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads