• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Filson vs. Peter Millar Bags

gilwood

Reaction score
I recently went to a little boutique store in my neighborhood and they had this great looking Peter Millar canvas and leather bag. The salesgirl there said that they used to stock filson bags, but because of the number of returns and problems with them, they switched over to Peter Millar. I asked what the problems were and she said the handles go bad quickly. Was she just blowing smoke to make a sale?

Pic of the nice Peter Millar bag:
lg1_000034.jpg

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
I can't speak to the quality of either, but I'm in the market for a similar bag as a gift. How much is the store asking for that Petar Millar example? I really like it.

gilwood

Reaction score
$275 at the store for the peter millar, same as the website. Or you can get a small filson duffle bag for $215.

pFILSON1-2231555dt.jpg

sanrensho

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gilwood
I recently went to a little boutique store in my neighborhood and they had this great looking Peter Millar canvas and leather bag. The salesgirl there said that they used to stock filson bags, but because of the number of returns and problems with them, they switched over to Peter Millar. I asked what the problems were and she said the handles go bad quickly. Was she just blowing smoke to make a sale?

Pic of the nice Peter Millar bag:
lg1_000034.jpg

I discovered Filson about 10 years ago and bought a few things since then...the fabric is top notch, but the leather quality is hit and miss. Sometimes they use the weaker parts of the hide for the straps and handles. If you really want Filson I suggest buying it in person, not mail order.

Dob

Reaction score
I would have to agree w/ the Filson comment. I have had about three briefcase models from them at various times - some would have quite thin handles which seemed to get abraded underneath and seemed prone to fail at some point- and some with thick more stable handles. Very variable but still seem high quality overall.

jcc123

Reaction score
Since Filson has a lifetime warranty why do we care? If it fails you get a new one, what's so bad about that?

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use filson bags, vests, garment bags, hunting stuff etc for hunting. My filson gets thrown in back or trucks, rained on, thrown about, overstuffed and abused it other ways. Not a problem yet. The only maintainance i do is leather conditioner every year or 2.

Regards.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't treat my Filson bags nicely at all. If I do manage to destroy one it'll be replaced by them so my stuff will keep getting tossed in the mud, left in the rain and baked in the car.

I've heard about the supposed thin leather problem and how weak it looks. You would break long before the handle material would so no worries there. It's bridle leather and to really understand this stuff you need to be a horse person.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Just looking at the Millar bag in the picture the leather and zipper don't look up to snuff compared to a Filson.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My Filson stuff all feels and looks indesctructible, and I like the styling a lot more than that Millar stuff judging from the pictures.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The handles on my filson bag are uniformly thick and look indestructible.

I've seen plenty of old, beat up Filson on ebay. The most common "issue" I see is a hole in the cloth from constant abrasion, or the zipper that comes off the seam somewhere due to stress. These bags look over 20 years old. I don't remember ever seeing a broken leather strap.

Also, I see no reason to think that the alternative you posted should be more durable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads