Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Filson or saddlebackleather duffel

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by p.henrik, Oct 4, 2012.

1. p.henrik

p.henrik Senior member

Gents,

Looking for a great travelling duffel. Which one of these would you get? Or other suggestions?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Realize the saddleback is more than twice as expensive, but I'm looking for a bag to last me many years, so a few hundred bucks doesn't make a huge difference.

Thanks

2. jasonleb1

jasonleb1 Senior member

The Filson is much more my taste for a duffel. I think something that big in all leather is just too much. Up to you though.

3. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

I would choose Filson for the weight difference and durability. Leather look's nice but a duffel is a duffel.

4. dcg

dcg Senior member

Filson all day long. Cheaper, lifetime replacement warranty, easier access to the contents, lighter weight.

5. Patek

Patek Senior member

Saddleback all the way. Everyone seems to be in love with Fison, but unless you a an undergraduate student or reporter canvas has no real place in a man's wardrobe IMO. I carry all leather bags and wouldn't think of doing otherwise.

6. polytropos

polytropos Member

Ask yourself this: do you want something your children will fight over when you're dead or a generic looking canvas bag?

7. p.henrik

p.henrik Senior member

Haha, we seem to have two dedicated followings. Will be a hard choice. Weight is a fair point, but I am not so concerned about the weight as I realise I couldn't carry either as cabin luggage.

8. SaddleSC

SaddleSC Active Member

I am a die-hard enthusiast of both brands, but for a duffle bag, I would definitely choose the Filson. The Filson carries essentially the same warranty and is extremely durable, but the big factor here is weight. The Saddleback duffle bags weigh-in at 12-13 pounds empty. When a duffle gets this large, the weight of your clothes, etc. is significant enough without having to add 12 extra pounds to the mix. In addition, I think canvas is sort of what a duffle bag is all about.

For briefcases, I would choose the Saddleback. For messenger bags, satchels, etc. an argument could be made for either choice. But for a duffle...get the Filson.

9. Patek

Patek Senior member

I travel every other week an I carry a leather duffel. I also work out. I do not have any problems with weight and hauling it through the airport. Leather will get a beautiful patina with time.

I would consider Fison for a gym bag but not much else.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012