• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Filson or Chapman bags

alladin

Reaction score
Hi,

I am thinking of getting an canvas leather bag for everyday use.

I wanted to ask which is a better make - filson or chapman?

Bags by ducker and son are also regarded highly but they do not feature them on the website.

Opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Paril

baggeek

Reaction score
IMHO not about which is better; both are excellent products, just slightly different. Filson luggage generally features a heavy oiled canvas and an oiled bridle leather. Chapman uses a bonded cotton canvas and unoiled bridle leather. The difference is that the Filson canvas is a single layered material with an oil treatment while bonded cotton canvas is a multilayered material with a natural rubber core which traditionally has been used to make British fishing bags. The Filson fabric is heavier. Both have similar performance although in theory the Chapman material should be waterproof, while Filson is water resistant rather than proof; in practice all bags leak at the seams if exposed long enough to heavy rainfall. Filson leather is slightly heavier than Chapman leather and there is more of it on most of the bags (hence they are more expensive). The oil finish can mark but that may be a non issue for most users. Chapman bags also feature a lot of military grade cotton webbing. This is made on a shuttle loom and originally designed in WW2 for parachutists; great stuff. Both products feature high quality solid brass hardware. Chapman has a broad range in a number of colours with considerably more shoulder bags available. Filson is more luggage orientated. Chapman is made in Cumbria, England and I believe Filson luggage is still made in Seattle, although certain other products are outsourced. Either way, you won't be disappointed and both products are authentic items with a great heritage.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've owned a reasonable number of Chapman bags - the only one I have at the moment is a small fishing bag. They're nicely made and last a decade or so, but eventually after heavy use the cotton outer layer will wear through to the rubber underneath where it rubs against your clothing. This does take some serious use though.

Chapman also have regular sales with up to 50% off, so if you're agnostic about what model you want it may be worth waiting.

I purchased a Billington camera bag as an alternative to my worn-out Chapman - similar aesthetic and construction but it had a bridle leather section on the bottom and 4" up the side, which took the brunt of the wear. An excellent bag, I should never have sold it.

I've never handled a Filson - I'd like one, but being based in the UK I'm not aware of any stockists. Your comment about Ducker & Sons interests me - they're probably outsourced, most likely by Chapman (who make for plenty of labels).

alladin

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the detailed explanation.

I am based in the UK too and Filson bags not too common.

How much would you have to abuse a Chapman bag to wear the outer cotton? I currently have a basin non-branded backpack that I've used everyday for 11 years and it still serving well.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exclusivity and much better warranty I'll go with filson

cbird

Reaction score
My Filson Pullman has accompanied me on 300,000 miles of car travel and has not begun to show any significant signs of wear, so, yes, for daily use Filson bags are great.

hst

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SimonC
I've owned a reasonable number of Chapman bags - the only one I have at the moment is a small fishing bag. They're nicely made and last a decade or so, but eventually after heavy use the cotton outer layer will wear through to the rubber underneath where it rubs against your clothing. This does take some serious use though.

Chapman also have regular sales with up to 50% off, so if you're agnostic about what model you want it may be worth waiting.

I purchased a Billington camera bag as an alternative to my worn-out Chapman - similar aesthetic and construction but it had a bridle leather section on the bottom and 4" up the side, which took the brunt of the wear. An excellent bag, I should never have sold it.

I've never handled a Filson - I'd like one, but being based in the UK I'm not aware of any stockists. Your comment about Ducker & Sons interests me - they're probably outsourced, most likely by Chapman (who make for plenty of labels).

Hi

Where would Chapman bags be stocked in London? I would be interested in stocklists in shops which always have stocks to clear
smile.gif

baggeek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alladin
Thank you very much for the detailed explanation.

I am based in the UK too and Filson bags not too common.

How much would you have to abuse a Chapman bag to wear the outer cotton? I currently have a basin non-branded backpack that I've used everyday for 11 years and it still serving well.

Just to clarify the "wearing" point, Chapman canvas is a bonded material with 3 layers (inner and outer cotton and an inner rubber core), so multilayered but all bonded together, not separate layers. This is pretty bulletproof and, like all bags made from natural materials, it just depends how much and how you use it. I've worn Chapman for years and all bags are still going strong. They also offer a product warranty against any manufacturing defects although not against "fair wear and tear". I believe you can see some of their bags at a London gunsmiths called William Evans in St James.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hst
Hi

Where would Chapman bags be stocked in London? I would be interested in stocklists in shops which always have stocks to clear
smile.gif

I have purchased my bags whilst travelling outside London (and I think I got one in Orvis once) - other than baggeek's suggestion I'm not aware of stockists. The clearance prices are from their webstore.

Originally Posted by baggeek
Just to clarify the "wearing" point, Chapman canvas is a bonded material with 3 layers (inner and outer cotton and an inner rubber core), so multilayered but all bonded together, not separate layers. This is pretty bulletproof and, like all bags made from natural materials, it just depends how much and how you use it. I've worn Chapman for years and all bags are still going strong. They also offer a product warranty against any manufacturing defects although not against "fair wear and tear".

All absolutely spot on - mine only wore out (and that's subjective - it was usable but tatty) because it rubbed against my hip whilst walking, which rubbed off a 2x6" section of the bonded cotton to reveal the core. I consider that I got excellent use and VFM from the bag, and would (did) happily buy Chapman again.

TC11201

Reaction score
Originally Posted by entrero
much better warranty I'll go with filson

+1. Filson's warranty and willingness to replace on the basis of the warranty are superb. No questions asked - they just replaced the shoulder strap on a 257 and also asked if I'd like the original shoulder strap repaired free of charge b/c it was already worn in.

jasikamarshel1

Reaction score
They seem very well-made and of good quality,this a really a nice bag and I really a like and you purchase from a wholesaler then this a really a best and you get in a low price also.

Mike Davis

Reaction score
I've recently bought a Chapman classic holdall from Charles Ford in London. I think it was full price but I was able to use a discount code on the site which shaved off a bit. Really impressed with the holdall so far, I'd been eyeing it up for a while so I'm glad I finally bit the bullet.

http://www.charlesfordlondon.com/brands/chapman-bags

helios199

Reaction score
I bought a Chapman bag in 2013. Clog balls fell off and a leather attachment tab for the shoulder strap came unsewed almost immediately. I was able to get the thing repaired fairly easily, and Chapman did show the proper level of concern -though as I'm located 5400 miles away, it was inconvenient to call on them for repairs. By 2015, the canvas at the backside of the bag had worn through to the rubber, and the d-rings actually had worn to the point of almost breaking (they no longer make bags with d-rings, so I assume it was a common problem).
I did use the thing every day, but it's not like I'm running around with rocks in it; just a laptop or a book or two.
Nice looking bag, and very handy, but I think something by Filson (recently upgraded to a 232) is going to be more sturdy.

Oh, and it's definitely not waterproof, at least after a year's worth of wear. Waxed canvas works better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics