• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

filson mackinaw wool cruiser sizing

korce

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking at getting a filson mackinaw wool cruiser (like the pic attached) and am wondering if anyone has any experience with the sizing of these jackets.

I'm looking for a slim to regular fit, and I'm a pretty skinny guy myself - 6', 160 lbs - I wear a 38 suit jacket, but have quite wide shoulders in relation to the rest of my upper body.

I'm thinking of getting a 38 in the wool cruiser, but am wondering if this will be too big and I should size down to a 36? Or, do you think I could get a 38 and get it tailored slightly?

I'd be curious to hear others opinions on Filson wool cruiser sizing...

Thanks.

lidprop

Reaction score
I'm 5'9", about 140 lbs., thin with broad shoulders. I have a Filson Mackinaw Cruiser in size 40 and I like the way it fits. There's enough room for layering. I usually take a size 38 in a suit jacket, but a Filson 38 was too small for me. My arms are fairly long, 33" shirt sleeve length. Filson, on their website, gives some sizing advice and I'm sure they'd be glad to answer your questions if you call them. Hope this helps.

titojackson

Reaction score
I was looking at these a while back but then decided against as i assumed it probably fit baggy in the arms to accomidate grandpas. It was just an assumption, though; never seen one in person.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow...old thread!

Anyway, I think you should size down a fair bit if you can...but sleeve length will probably end up being your limiting factor. The cruiser is cut generous to be sure. I'm a size 42 probably (6' 195) and bought a cruiser and a vest in size 40. The vest is a great snug and trim fit, just as I wanted for the vest, but the cruiser has plenty of room for layering and I think, if I wanted a trim fit, I could probably go down to a 38 in that...though sleeve length would be my concern the. Overall I'm pretty happy with it, works great over the vest or a chunky sweater and since it will be my only real cold weather coat that will be needed.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'll echo what slide13 says. I sized down from my suit size and it's still pretty roomy. Going down another size was okay in the body but sleeves were too short.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a 40 and that's the size I own. I do layer under it so it fits just right. If I wasn't doing that
i would have probably sized down.

Bostonian

Reaction score
My suit/blazer size is 42 long. My mackinaw is a 40 reg.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 42 Long in Suit jackets, have a 42 Filson Mackinaw. I'm 6'3" about 180. The sleeves are just long enough - haven't measured, but they seem about 36", which is about right. Shoulders fit well, and the body is slim, but not "fitted," which is good for accommodating a sweater or doing work in the thing, which I do.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads