• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Filson Mackinaw Cruiser

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by js4design
i'd actually been looking at this jacket in green to wear deer hunting. my brother is always trying to get me to go, and i figure if i'm gonna get up at 3am and trudge through the woods then i might as well use it as an excuse to pick up a great new coat.

The added benefit is that wool (being, you know, made from an animal) has dramatically lower light reflectivity than man-made fabrics. Our eyes can't pick up the difference, but supposedly a deer's can.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
The added benefit is that wool (being, you know, made from an animal) has dramatically lower light reflectivity than man-made fabrics. Our eyes can't pick up the difference, but supposedly a deer's can.

i had actually read something like that before. plus looking like a hunter from the 1920's is infinitely more dignified than looking like larry the cable guy.

dsmolken

Reaction score
A related question: would one of these work for riding a bike? They're suitable for riding horses, right?

mtsoccer4

Reaction score
I can't say which one you should choose, but you should definitely order a size small. I went to the Filson factory store once and bought a dozen things in medium and I have since sold them or given them all away because they're monsters.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna try for a size 36 soon (I measure 38S), I will update how it goes.

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dsmolken
A related question: would one of these work for riding a bike? They're suitable for riding horses, right?

You will sweat to death.

highball

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac

Originally Posted by kalanigee
How'd it go?

It will most likely be too large. I am a 38S in most major RTW suits and I ordered the 36. I sent it back because it was A) too big in the waist B) sleeves were about 4-5" too long C) overall length was longer than I expected. Do note however that I am pretty short: 5"7 with a shirt sleeve size of about 29". Still though, I felt like I could almost wear my down jacket and a beefy sweater underneath the thing.

I did find out however that Filson will do custom sizes for something like a 25% upcharge and 6 week turnaround time. They have the info for this up on their website somewhere. I may try this in the future when I'm feeling a little more patient.

If anyone has suggestions for a heavy/warm wool jacket in a similar style that might have sizes to fit a small guy like me, I'm all ears. I just ordered a J.Crew thinsulate-lined "university" coat to hold me over until I can find something I'm happier with, or perhaps do the Filson MTM option. We'll see how it goes...

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have ordered "custom" clothes from Filson...an old trouser design which they no longer make

Due to the holiday workload, Filson is no longer taking custom orders until February 2010...I known this since I called on Monday

stumy

Reaction score
I ordered a double mac in 38, and I normally wear 38 suits. It was WAY TOO BIG, and sent it back this week. My GF told me I looked like a little kid wearing dad's clothes, or something to that effect.

It was also more scratchy then I had anticipated.

tsaltzma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dsmolken

Sure, you could wear it while riding your bike... in a blizzard.
smile.gif
Seriously though, it would need to be pretty cold out. I wore my single mac a couple weeks ago with just a t-shirt under it when it was 25 degrees outside, and was comfortable.

jackdaw

Reaction score
The US Forest Service still has the Filson dbl. cruiser jacket on their uniform allowance list in drab USFS green, but no one wears them in the woods. It's for show-me trips and photo ops. Very nice coat. The Filson canvas cruiser vest is a shell of it's former self. When last I used a cruiser's vest we were buying them from a local seamstress who did tent repairs and worked up a sideline making vests that lasted.

I took a look at the SF street wear forum and was not too surprised to see that White's boot company Smokejumpers and Packers are fancied by hipsters. They used to be bespoke boots and I bought a pair on deep discount 35 years ago in Missoula, MT that had never been picked up by the bespoker. They are (or were) beautifully handmade and made me 2 inches taller, but they are impossible IMHO for working in the mountains. Got good service for riding my motorcycle and show-me trips, though. Extremely high arch for some reason along with the the high undercut heel supposedly for digging in on steep slopes.

dsmolken

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ZON_JR
You will sweat to death.

Good point. I seem to need much less warm clothing in the winter than most people anyway...

kit99bar

Reaction score
I'm a 38s also how did it go?
I'm fairly muscular by Sufu standards (5'6" and 170lbs) and I'm torn between a 38 or 36 for this coat.

Originally Posted by Tarmac

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads