• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Filson Mackinaw Cruiser

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a Filson Mackinaw Cruiser. Trying to decide between the traditional Mackinaw or the Double Mackinaw. I live in upstate NY, but am concerned that the Double might be too heavy as I'm not planning to use it for hunting/camping. I'm thinking the Double would be too warm (unless I worked outdoors). I'll wear it as a casual winter coat over everything from jeans to maybe a tweed sportcoat.

1) Anyone with experience with either/both jackets?
2) I'm really digging the forest green, but also like the charcoal. Any input as to color selection? The red/black plaid is not an option!

http://www.filson.com/product/index....entPage=family

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I ordered one once. It was gigantic.

Tidybeard

Reaction score
^^^^^perhaps Sir would like to try a smaller size?
smile.gif

Both the Mac and Double Mac are excellent coats - neither is lined so not that warm on their own, but great at keeping out the elements. The double is not too heavy by overcoat standards but the single will be fine if you're layering. Both good choices.

Not slim fit, though
lol8[1].gif

Good luck!

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the extra protection the cape on the DM provides. Add the shearling collar option and you feel like you could lead your horse over a Rocky mt. pass through 3+ feet of snow in the dead of winter...
worship.gif

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've wanted a Red/Black for sometime now but I'm in the SF/Bay Area where we have't had a good Winter in a couple of years, it seems. Today it's supposed to be approaching 70 degrees.
Size wize you guys say it runs larger than the tagged size?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Beware, it's a scratchy bastard of a jacket.

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I ordered one once. It was gigantic.

Were you going to adopt this as your only coat? I'm trying to picture a red/black plaid with wool collar over the top of your suit and 7 fold tie. Would the pocket square be 14 oz wool as well?

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Beware, it's a scratchy bastard of a jacket.

You're not supposed to wear it over bare skin.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
You're not supposed to wear it over bare skin.

You can feel it through an OCBD. It's that scratchy.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is a serious wool coat. I like the double Mack in charcoal. If I were a timber cruiser, it's definently what I'd wear
blush.gif
A timber cruiser walks through the woods all day and estimates how many board feet of sawed lumber can come out of a standing forest. So that gives you an idea of the working conditions this coat was designed for.

Ordinarily I would suggest the single for 'streetwear' as opposed to fieldwear, however you live in upstate NY so just walking out to your car can be a blizzard I guess.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You can feel it through an OCBD. It's that scratchy.

musicboohoo[1].gif
Son, if Patton were here he'd slap your face!
smack.gif
It's a good thing you weren't in charge of our westward expansion program....
angry.gif

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
It is a serious wool coat. I like the double Mack in charcoal. If I were a timber cruiser, it's definently what I'd wear
blush.gif
A timber cruiser walks through the woods all day and estimates how many board feet of sawed lumber can come out of a standing forest. So that gives you an idea of the working conditions this coat was designed for.

Ordinarily I would suggest the single for 'streetwear' as opposed to fieldwear, however you live in upstate NY so just walking out to your car can be a blizzard I guess.

You're not klidding. The virture of (or problem with, as foof found out) Filson coats is that they are serious products! I know city slickers who got an oiled tincloth coat and 15 years later they are still trying to break the thing in. Filson's retrenched their line of jackets in their attempt to reach out to the 'lodge' crowd, and as a result there are some less rigorous garments now offered....

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
I know city slickers who got an oiled tincloth coat and 15 years later they are still trying to break the thing in.

Filson is in such a different league than Barbour it's not even funny. I'm not impressed with Barbour (and I say that sitting 12" away from a Beaufort). Barbour lets faux-squires have a coat with royal warrants on the tag and pictures of the royal family piddling around in the rain wearing them. You can get a few Barbour items cheap on STP sometimes too. Quality wise I'd prefer Filson.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
I'm looking to purchase a Filson Mackinaw Cruiser. Trying to decide between the traditional Mackinaw or the Double Mackinaw. I live in upstate NY, but am concerned that the Double might be too heavy as I'm not planning to use it for hunting/camping. I'm thinking the Double would be too warm (unless I worked outdoors). I'll wear it as a casual winter coat over everything from jeans to maybe a tweed sportcoat.

1) Anyone with experience with either/both jackets?
2) I'm really digging the forest green, but also like the charcoal. Any input as to color selection? The red/black plaid is not an option!

I live in Seattle and got the traditional Mackinaw for Christmas. I went to the Filson store to try both of them on. I really like the idea of the double, but worried that in the end it would just sit in my closet 11 months out of the year. It really is a serious jacket that would be too much for my in town uses. I wore my traditional Mackinaw in Seattle in January and think my conclusion was correct.

Thinking about number of weeks per year of wear in Seattle, the traditional Mackinaw is more useful (usable from possibly 0ct.-Feb., compared to Nov.-Jan. for the double), especially if you plan on wearing it over wool sweaters and tweed sportscoats. I can't speak to temperatures in upstate New York.

Bic

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'd actually been looking at this jacket in green to wear deer hunting. my brother is always trying to get me to go, and i figure if i'm gonna get up at 3am and trudge through the woods then i might as well use it as an excuse to pick up a great new coat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads