Filson Mackinaw Cruiser

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Grayland, Feb 3, 2009.

1. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

i'd actually been looking at this jacket in green to wear deer hunting. my brother is always trying to get me to go, and i figure if i'm gonna get up at 3am and trudge through the woods then i might as well use it as an excuse to pick up a great new coat.

The added benefit is that wool (being, you know, made from an animal) has dramatically lower light reflectivity than man-made fabrics. Our eyes can't pick up the difference, but supposedly a deer's can.

2. js4design

js4design Senior member

The added benefit is that wool (being, you know, made from an animal) has dramatically lower light reflectivity than man-made fabrics. Our eyes can't pick up the difference, but supposedly a deer's can.

i had actually read something like that before. plus looking like a hunter from the 1920's is infinitely more dignified than looking like larry the cable guy.

3. dsmolken

dsmolken Senior member

A related question: would one of these work for riding a bike? They're suitable for riding horses, right?

4. pactiger

pactiger Senior member

I am in the market for one of these and did several searches on sizing here and elsewhere...

Found this:

http://www.bluedun-outdoor.com/Filso...aw_Cruiser.htm

Complete measurements for all sizes, the Japanese come through again! Figured I'd post for posterity's sake.

5. mtsoccer4

mtsoccer4 Senior member

I can't say which one you should choose, but you should definitely order a size small. I went to the Filson factory store once and bought a dozen things in medium and I have since sold them or given them all away because they're monsters.

6. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

I'm gonna try for a size 36 soon (I measure 38S), I will update how it goes.

7. kalanigee

kalanigee Senior member

How'd it go?

8. ZON_JR

ZON_JR Senior member

A related question: would one of these work for riding a bike? They're suitable for riding horses, right?

You will sweat to death.

9. highball

highball Senior member

How'd it go?

It will most likely be too large. I am a 38S in most major RTW suits and I ordered the 36. I sent it back because it was A) too big in the waist B) sleeves were about 4-5" too long C) overall length was longer than I expected. Do note however that I am pretty short: 5"7 with a shirt sleeve size of about 29". Still though, I felt like I could almost wear my down jacket and a beefy sweater underneath the thing.

I did find out however that Filson will do custom sizes for something like a 25% upcharge and 6 week turnaround time. They have the info for this up on their website somewhere. I may try this in the future when I'm feeling a little more patient.

If anyone has suggestions for a heavy/warm wool jacket in a similar style that might have sizes to fit a small guy like me, I'm all ears. I just ordered a J.Crew thinsulate-lined "university" coat to hold me over until I can find something I'm happier with, or perhaps do the Filson MTM option. We'll see how it goes...

10. Michael Ay329

Michael Ay329 Senior member

I have ordered "custom" clothes from Filson...an old trouser design which they no longer make

Due to the holiday workload, Filson is no longer taking custom orders until February 2010...I known this since I called on Monday

11. stumy

stumy Well-Known Member

I ordered a double mac in 38, and I normally wear 38 suits. It was WAY TOO BIG, and sent it back this week. My GF told me I looked like a little kid wearing dad's clothes, or something to that effect.

It was also more scratchy then I had anticipated.

12. tsaltzma

tsaltzma Senior member

Sure, you could wear it while riding your bike... in a blizzard. [​IMG] Seriously though, it would need to be pretty cold out. I wore my single mac a couple weeks ago with just a t-shirt under it when it was 25 degrees outside, and was comfortable.

13. jackdaw

jackdaw Well-Known Member

The US Forest Service still has the Filson dbl. cruiser jacket on their uniform allowance list in drab USFS green, but no one wears them in the woods. It's for show-me trips and photo ops. Very nice coat. The Filson canvas cruiser vest is a shell of it's former self. When last I used a cruiser's vest we were buying them from a local seamstress who did tent repairs and worked up a sideline making vests that lasted.

I took a look at the SF street wear forum and was not too surprised to see that White's boot company Smokejumpers and Packers are fancied by hipsters. They used to be bespoke boots and I bought a pair on deep discount 35 years ago in Missoula, MT that had never been picked up by the bespoker. They are (or were) beautifully handmade and made me 2 inches taller, but they are impossible IMHO for working in the mountains. Got good service for riding my motorcycle and show-me trips, though. Extremely high arch for some reason along with the the high undercut heel supposedly for digging in on steep slopes.

14. dsmolken

dsmolken Senior member

You will sweat to death.

Good point. I seem to need much less warm clothing in the winter than most people anyway...

15. kit99bar

kit99bar Senior member

I'm a 38s also how did it go?
    I'm fairly muscular by Sufu standards (5'6" and 170lbs) and I'm torn between a 38 or 36 for this coat.