• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Filson Mackinaw Cruiser

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 10, 2007
Messages
2,352
Reaction score
47
I'm looking to purchase a Filson Mackinaw Cruiser. Trying to decide between the traditional Mackinaw or the Double Mackinaw. I live in upstate NY, but am concerned that the Double might be too heavy as I'm not planning to use it for hunting/camping. I'm thinking the Double would be too warm (unless I worked outdoors). I'll wear it as a casual winter coat over everything from jeans to maybe a tweed sportcoat.

1) Anyone with experience with either/both jackets?
2) I'm really digging the forest green, but also like the charcoal. Any input as to color selection? The red/black plaid is not an option!

http://www.filson.com/product/index....entPage=family

http://www.filson.com/product/index....entPage=family
 

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Feb 11, 2007
Messages
22,956
Reaction score
4,146
I ordered one once. It was gigantic.
 

Tidybeard

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2007
Messages
500
Reaction score
22
^^^^^perhaps Sir would like to try a smaller size?


Both the Mac and Double Mac are excellent coats - neither is lined so not that warm on their own, but great at keeping out the elements. The double is not too heavy by overcoat standards but the single will be fine if you're layering. Both good choices.

Not slim fit, though


Good luck!
 

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
10,179
Reaction score
1,273
I like the extra protection the cape on the DM provides. Add the shearling collar option and you feel like you could lead your horse over a Rocky mt. pass through 3+ feet of snow in the dead of winter...
 

Salad

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2006
Messages
775
Reaction score
180
I've wanted a Red/Black for sometime now but I'm in the SF/Bay Area where we have't had a good Winter in a couple of years, it seems. Today it's supposed to be approaching 70 degrees.
Size wize you guys say it runs larger than the tagged size?
 

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Feb 11, 2007
Messages
22,956
Reaction score
4,146
Beware, it's a scratchy bastard of a jacket.
 

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2007
Messages
1,694
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I ordered one once. It was gigantic.

Were you going to adopt this as your only coat? I'm trying to picture a red/black plaid with wool collar over the top of your suit and 7 fold tie. Would the pocket square be 14 oz wool as well?
 

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
10,179
Reaction score
1,273
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Beware, it's a scratchy bastard of a jacket.

You're not supposed to wear it over bare skin.
 

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Feb 11, 2007
Messages
22,956
Reaction score
4,146
Originally Posted by romafan
You're not supposed to wear it over bare skin.

You can feel it through an OCBD. It's that scratchy.
 

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 8, 2007
Messages
9,079
Reaction score
42
It is a serious wool coat. I like the double Mack in charcoal. If I were a timber cruiser, it's definently what I'd wear
A timber cruiser walks through the woods all day and estimates how many board feet of sawed lumber can come out of a standing forest. So that gives you an idea of the working conditions this coat was designed for.

Ordinarily I would suggest the single for 'streetwear' as opposed to fieldwear, however you live in upstate NY so just walking out to your car can be a blizzard I guess.
 

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
10,179
Reaction score
1,273
Originally Posted by mafoofan
You can feel it through an OCBD. It's that scratchy.

Son, if Patton were here he'd slap your face!
It's a good thing you weren't in charge of our westward expansion program....
 

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
10,179
Reaction score
1,273
Originally Posted by crazyquik
It is a serious wool coat. I like the double Mack in charcoal. If I were a timber cruiser, it's definently what I'd wear
A timber cruiser walks through the woods all day and estimates how many board feet of sawed lumber can come out of a standing forest. So that gives you an idea of the working conditions this coat was designed for.

Ordinarily I would suggest the single for 'streetwear' as opposed to fieldwear, however you live in upstate NY so just walking out to your car can be a blizzard I guess.


You're not klidding. The virture of (or problem with, as foof found out) Filson coats is that they are serious products! I know city slickers who got an oiled tincloth coat and 15 years later they are still trying to break the thing in. Filson's retrenched their line of jackets in their attempt to reach out to the 'lodge' crowd, and as a result there are some less rigorous garments now offered....
 

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 8, 2007
Messages
9,079
Reaction score
42
Originally Posted by romafan
I know city slickers who got an oiled tincloth coat and 15 years later they are still trying to break the thing in.

Filson is in such a different league than Barbour it's not even funny. I'm not impressed with Barbour (and I say that sitting 12" away from a Beaufort). Barbour lets faux-squires have a coat with royal warrants on the tag and pictures of the royal family piddling around in the rain wearing them. You can get a few Barbour items cheap on STP sometimes too. Quality wise I'd prefer Filson.
 

Bic Pentameter

Senior Member
Joined
May 1, 2002
Messages
817
Reaction score
20
Originally Posted by Grayland
I'm looking to purchase a Filson Mackinaw Cruiser. Trying to decide between the traditional Mackinaw or the Double Mackinaw. I live in upstate NY, but am concerned that the Double might be too heavy as I'm not planning to use it for hunting/camping. I'm thinking the Double would be too warm (unless I worked outdoors). I'll wear it as a casual winter coat over everything from jeans to maybe a tweed sportcoat.

1) Anyone with experience with either/both jackets?
2) I'm really digging the forest green, but also like the charcoal. Any input as to color selection? The red/black plaid is not an option!

http://www.filson.com/product/index....entPage=family

http://www.filson.com/product/index....entPage=family


I live in Seattle and got the traditional Mackinaw for Christmas. I went to the Filson store to try both of them on. I really like the idea of the double, but worried that in the end it would just sit in my closet 11 months out of the year. It really is a serious jacket that would be too much for my in town uses. I wore my traditional Mackinaw in Seattle in January and think my conclusion was correct.

Thinking about number of weeks per year of wear in Seattle, the traditional Mackinaw is more useful (usable from possibly 0ct.-Feb., compared to Nov.-Jan. for the double), especially if you plan on wearing it over wool sweaters and tweed sportscoats. I can't speak to temperatures in upstate New York.

Bic
 

js4design

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
1,968
Reaction score
829
i'd actually been looking at this jacket in green to wear deer hunting. my brother is always trying to get me to go, and i figure if i'm gonna get up at 3am and trudge through the woods then i might as well use it as an excuse to pick up a great new coat.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite summer fabric?

  • Seersucker

  • Fresco

  • Linen

  • Silk


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
440,630
Messages
9,507,454
Members
199,004
Latest member
rmrkblnti
Top