• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Filson-like bag: Fake or Authentic (PICS)?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently got a used Small Field Bag that looks a lot like a Filson bag but I am not sure if it is real or not.

I already have a tan colored bag that I am certain is authentic and there are some differences between it and the recently received green one.

dsc9115.jpg

Above you can see that the tag placement is different (the tag on the green one was removed but you can see it was above the flap pocket) and the size of the front is longer on the green one. Also the buckle is different.

dsc9118.jpg

The tan one has a Filson logo stamped in the leather. The green one doesn't. Also, the D-rings are thinner and hand strap is shorter.

dsc9127.jpg

dsc9130c.jpg

The leather strap. The bottom pic is the green one, it is much thinner...not just softer.

dsc9133i.jpg

I turned the green one inside out and found that there was an internal tag that had been cut off. The other bag had no internal tag. Also, the fabric itself is lighter and thinner. The lines of the twill or wider in the green one as well.

So....did Filson have different specs at some time in the past or is this a knock-off? Opinions appreciated!

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where did you buy it?
FWIW- I have never heard of someone faking a Filson bag.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
Where did you buy it?
FWIW- I have never heard of someone faking a Filson bag.

From a guy. The guy I got it from received it in the same condition and had assumed it was a Filson...but he is also now wondering if it is real or not.

Originally Posted by entrero
Is it even a Filson?

That is the key question.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at the leather i would say "No" it isn't a Filson. It is just a copy.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that a nylon piped lining on the seam? I don't think filson uses nylon on their OG style bags

Is the button snap on the outside blank?

looks like a replica of some kind

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Harbin
I believe it is a Fakeson

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Tarmac
Is that a nylon piped lining on the seam? I don't think filson uses nylon on their OG style bags

Is the button snap on the outside blank?

looks like a replica of some kind

I compared and there is a piping used but it is a different colour and seems thinner on the green one.

And, yes, the button snap does not have a Filson logo on it. Thanks for noticing that.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Might as well have the best... knockoff."

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It looks real, but you should be able to tell by comparing how the fabrics feel - that's probably the only thing that hasn't changed in their production. I live in Seattle and have seen many different variations of the same bags over the years, some have different snaps, others have different qualities of leather. It could also have been a factory second or test prototype, which they sell during an annual sale here in town.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
It looks real, but you should be able to tell by comparing how the fabrics feel - that's probably the only thing that hasn't changed in their production. I live in Seattle and have seen many different variations of the same bags over the years, some have different snaps, others have different qualities of leather. It could also have been a factory second or test prototype, which they sell during an annual sale here in town.

Interesting! The fabric is similar but certainly not identical. The weave on the green one is wider and it is much lighter.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude is right, Filson uses a lot of fabrics and leathers for their bags that change over the years,along with some construction techniques. Knock-off Filson bags seem like a bit of stretch, chances are it's an older model or a sample

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I have an older one of these in Otter and I'll look at it later today. I've seen plenty of variants of products over the years and this could very well be one. Some of the construction details are reminiscent of pieces produced over ten years ago. Of course there is a chance it is a knockoff. They are out there but it's a rarity to actually find one and there is no mistaking it if you come across one.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
Interesting. I have an older one of these in Otter and I'll look at it later today. I've seen plenty of variants of products over the years and this could very well be one. Some of the construction details are reminiscent of pieces produced over ten years ago. Of course there is a chance it is a knockoff. They are out there but it's a rarity to actually find one and there is no mistaking it if you come across one.

Thanks...would appreciate if you could take a look at that older model and compare.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads