• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Filson briefcase> Advice please

darwin

Reaction score
Im looking to purchase a filson bag to act as a briefcase.

I am unsure how I feel about the actual briefcase, but what do you guys theink of the small carryon and the medium field bag?

can either of these 2 act effectively as briefcases?

here is a link that shows the exact 3 in question.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=164420

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
if the filson is greater than the advice, what good is the advice going to do?

it would have to be at least equal to for any consideration

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Depends on how much you carry with you. If a lot, the bigger the better. I don't carry much with me to work so I take a zippered tote.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the 240 and 232 are fine as messenger bags but awkward as briefcases. This is because of their offset single grip handle, the bag sags in a funny way when held with hands.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the origial briefcase which is great on all acounts, except the flappy handles! need to get that sorted...

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use the 257 everyday. It's a great bag. At first, I was a little concerned that it would be too large. While a 256 may have worked fine, I'm glad I opted for the larger 257. It carries everything I need, plus more. It's also nice being able to detach the shoulder strap and carry it by hand. If I had to make the choice again, I'd still stick with the 257.

darwin

Reaction score
do you cats feel that it is an acceptable briefcase for a young professional?

the other company i have been looking at is customhide... sadly sadddleback is far out of my price range

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by darwin

the other company i have been looking at is customhide... sadly sadddleback is far out of my price range

I would think so. I'm 25 in my first real job. It's certainly better than the nylon laptop bag I was using before.

Saddleback is another great company, but I'm in the same boat price-wise. Plus, I feel that would be a little over the top for a young professional. I would wait until I've climbed the rungs a little before going with such a nice briefcase.

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkstone
+1
5086.gif

+2

MonkeyFresh

Reaction score
+4 for the 257
whether you end up using the extra space in the 257 its always nice to be able to carry more
and even if you don't completely fill the bag i have never found the size to be too cumbersome
An amazing bag, I was thinking of selling mine but after using it for the past 3 days again it will remain in my rotation of bags till the day it falls apart (which will be never)

red120

Reaction score

I think part of it depends on the tone of your actual work environment, too.

The more casual the environment, the less you want to stand out. What are your peers / managers using?

Reaction score

Darwin, it really depends on personal choice. To me, these Filson bags don't give out the impression of being very professional. They look more like messenger style sacks - very chic, but not what I'd typically carry to work. I prefer the more conservative laptop briefs like the ones manufactured by Briggs & Riley (http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...=laptop-briefs) and Tumi (http://intl.tumi.com/business-and-laptop/).

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To echo many previous posters, the 257 is the one to go.

I use a 257 for about 4 years now, no complaint whatsoever.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads