• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh I do? Never said Alden didn't look awkward in their own right. The shoes posted were Grant stone, not Alden. The Barrie, Grant and Plaza lasts on Alden boots all look 10x better. Thanks for stopping by.

Edit: I see you came in following @audog's complaint in the GS thread. Wow. Sorry you were both offended.
Not offended, just differing opinions. Room for all on Style Forum, he and I happen to like GS, that's all.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh I do? Never said Alden didn't look awkward in their own right. The shoes posted were Grant stone, not Alden. The Barrie, Grant and Plaza lasts on Alden boots all look 10x better. Thanks for stopping by.

Edit: I see you came in following @audog's complaint in the GS thread. Wow. Sorry you were both offended.

Not to worry, I think we got some polyurethane square toes on discount for ya down at DSW.

AC74

Reaction score
I have a 2014 medium travel bag in otter green, and will receive a tan 70266 Sportsman bag in tan, tomorrow (so awaited!) The latter seems to be in great condition judging by the pics, tags still on, Filson zippers, but with classic motto label!

The MTB I bought new in 2014 is still in great condition, as new, and it will be a hard decision to determine which one to keep (minimalist here), or if buying a 48hr duffle instead. I have a tan tin cloth backpack which I really like, but I have to say the tin cloth is not nearly as durable as the twill (shows tear/signs of wear at corners/wrinkles even when used only like twice per year).

Bought the Sportsman because I was a bit bored with the single compartment MTB, more pockets is more versatile and "interesting". The MTB is like, what you see at first glance is basically what you get. Although it is a beautiful piece of course.

Hmm, decisions decisions... love the tall/ thinner looks of the 48hr with its twin front pockets, the Sportsman I know will be bulky and wide if packed for my intended 3-4 day trips, but twill beats tin cloth hands down. Difficult one here...

Last edited:

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I would like to propose a Holiday styleforum event, “The 12 Days of Filson” beginning on the 14th of December and going through Christmas Day. (Yes, I know the 12 days of Christmas is technically after Christmas, but there’s a lot of travel going on during those days so thought before would be easier). What I am proposing, or rather, what I will be doing and inviting you fine folks to join me in, is picking 12 of your favorite Filson items and featuring a photo or two of one each day leading up to Christmas. If you feel so led, you could add a short description of what you like don’t like, etc. I imagine most everyone here probably has 12 total items including clothing and accessories and whatever else, but if not feel free to add something that isn’t Filson but has made an impact on your daily life. It’s almost silly when I stop and just look at what I am wearing/carrying and count the Filson items and I think many of you are the same.

The final day of the event will be Christmas, and I have a feeling that many of us may have a visit from Good ol’ St. Filson himself and this will give an opportunity to share our Christmas bounty! Thoughts? Like I said, I have already started to scour my collection for what I will be sharing and can’t wait see what you guys have been using and enjoying. I know this is the bag thread, but clothing is welcome as well!!

PS. We also did a really cool “Year of Filson” thing last year, so if you don’t feel like messing around daily to share your items, a single photo with 2019 additions to your collections should be in the works as well toward the end of the month. @speedy611 was my favorite in 2018, but there were some seriously good contenders!

340E1782-5BC0-4C2D-AFC2-03C8A4770985.jpeg

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I would like to propose a Holiday styleforum event, “The 12 Days of Filson” beginning on the 14th of December and going through Christmas Day. (Yes, I know the 12 days of Christmas is technically after Christmas, but there’s a lot of travel going on during those days so thought before would be easier). What I am proposing, or rather, what I will be doing and inviting you fine folks to join me in, is picking 12 of your favorite Filson items and featuring a photo or two of one each day leading up to Christmas. If you feel so led, you could add a short description of what you like don’t like, etc. I imagine most everyone here probably has 12 total items including clothing and accessories and whatever else, but if not feel free to add something that isn’t Filson but has made an impact on your daily life. It’s almost silly when I stop and just look at what I am wearing/carrying and count the Filson items and I think many of you are the same.

The final day of the event will be Christmas, and I have a feeling that many of us may have a visit from Good ol’ St. Filson himself and this will give an opportunity to share our Christmas bounty! Thoughts? Like I said, I have already started to scour my collection for what I will be sharing and can’t wait see what you guys have been using and enjoying. I know this is the bag thread, but clothing is welcome as well!!

PS. We also did a really cool “Year of Filson” thing last year, so if you don’t feel like messing around daily to share your items, a single photo with 2019 additions to your collections should be in the works as well toward the end of the month. @speedy611 was my favorite in 2018, but there were some seriously good contenders!

View attachment 1297473
Love it. I’m in. I don’t have 12 Filson items so can I go and buy some to make up the difference?

(This statement may contain traces of “alternative facts”)...

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love it. I’m in. I don’t have 12 Filson items so can I go and buy some to make up the difference?

(This statement may contain traces of “alternative facts”)...
Are you sure, I can almost from memory remember 12 Filson items in your home:) But yes, that it totally acceptable to beef up your collection for the 12 days of Filson. I’m sure the wife will understand!

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a 2014 medium travel bag in otter green, and will receive a tan 70266 Sportsman bag in tan, tomorrow (so awaited!) The latter seems to be in great condition judging by the pics, tags still on, Filson zippers, but with classic motto label!

The MTB I bought new in 2014 is still in great condition, as new, and it will be a hard decision to determine which one to keep (minimalist here), or if buying a 48hr duffle instead. I have a tan tin cloth backpack which I really like, but I have to say the tin cloth is not nearly as durable as the twill (shows tear/signs of wear at corners/wrinkles even when used only like twice per year).

Bought the Sportsman because I was a bit bored with the single compartment MTB, more pockets is more versatile and "interesting". The MTB is like, what you see at first glance is basically what you get. Although it is a beautiful piece of course.

Hmm, decisions decisions... love the tall/ thinner looks of the 48hr with its twin front pockets, the Sportsman I know will be bulky and wide if packed for my intended 3-4 day trips, but twill beats tin cloth hands down. Difficult one here...
I’ve trodden this path too. I had a tin cloth backpack and a 48 duffle. I liked both. However I switched the backpack for the twill rucksac and the 48 for a 248 large carry on. Both are twill, are more classic Filson, and offered just a little more capacity.
Particularly with the 48, while I loved how it looked and the utility of the front pockets, I wanted more space. The 248 works just as well overnight but can extend to 4 days easily and unlike the 48 can manage another pair of shoes.
Your MTB is probably the same size as the 248 in real terms, but I totally understand the desire for something a bit more “interesting”. The 248 does that for me as it looks good, is quite unusual, and still has lots of practicality.

BD382E81-CED3-4E85-A9C6-76C7246FCD74.jpeg

@TinMan3 : oops. Rumbled. ;-)

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1297473
Love this idea and am going to put it on my calendar as a reminder every day. (trying to race to finish out some client work and, well, time is a bit limited in supply these next 7 days.

I'm sure I can scrounge up twelve interesting items around these parts. All Filson, nonetheless. Pics coming!

Great idea, TinMan!

AC74

Reaction score
I’ve trodden this path too. I had a tin cloth backpack and a 48 duffle. I liked both. However I switched the backpack for the twill rucksac and the 48 for a 248 large carry on. Both are twill, are more classic Filson, and offered just a little more capacity.
Particularly with the 48, while I loved how it looked and the utility of the front pockets, I wanted more space. The 248 works just as well overnight but can extend to 4 days easily and unlike the 48 can manage another pair of shoes.
Your MTB is probably the same size as the 248 in real terms, but I totally understand the desire for something a bit more “interesting”. The 248 does that for me as it looks good, is quite unusual, and still has lots of practicality.

View attachment 1297558

@TinMan3 : oops. Rumbled. ;-)
That large carry on looks awesome! The fancy handle on the top of this model is just classy. Not very easy to find in that condition though.

Thanks for introducing an alternative, Helps me steer off from the 48hr tin duffle obsession a bit. Plus, with twill you may choose tan which is for me not an option with tin cloth due to the way this might age, looking more dirty than desired (the setup in your photo says it all, twill tan is just extremely good looking on the right bag).

The 70266 sportsman bag will arrive tomorrow it seems, and who knows, I might like that one enough to settle for it and sell the MTB as planned. I usually use a rolling suit case when travelling for longer periods not by car, hence I really don't need my filson duffle/carry on to take very much. Would never carry a large duffel around an airport for instance. So MTB size is quite ideal.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That large carry on looks awesome! The fancy handle on the top of this model is just classy. Not very easy to find in that condition though.

Thanks for introducing an alternative, Helps me steer off from the 48hr tin duffle obsession a bit. Plus, with twill you may choose tan which is for me not an option with tin cloth due to the way this might age, looking more dirty than desired (the setup in your photo says it all, twill tan is just extremely good looking on the right bag).

The 70266 sportsman bag will arrive tomorrow it seems, and who knows, I might like that one enough to settle for it and sell the MTB as planned. I usually use a rolling suit case when travelling for longer periods not by car, hence I really don't need my filson duffle/carry on to take very much. Would never carry a large duffel around an airport for instance. So MTB size is quite ideal.
I’ve never used or even seen an orginal sportsman. But there are several folk here who have them and like them for the pockets and organization. I hear they can be a bit bulky when full.
I got lucky with the 248, especially as it was local to me in the UK. But I think they can be found in the USA. As ever GZstudio and Tinman3 might be able to help you out with a good used one. I guess it all depends on how the 266 works for you. Pics when it arrives!

TimothyF

Reaction score
Gentlemen, you seem extremely knowledgeable about Filson bags, more so than any salesmen I've ever met, so I present my situation to you, hoping for some great insights.

I live in a big city, take public transit to work, and would like to buy groceries on the way home every now and then. I'm a strong believer in carrying only one bag for a man, and would like to upgrade from my laptop briefcase in terms of capacity. (Ideally, the new bag should fit a carton of milk, bread, eggs, produce, etc. -> as much as my arms can carry on the subway). The bag would meet a constraint in my locker at work: I guestimate it's width shouldn't be over 12", or I'd have trouble.

So my research has helped me narrow it down to the Small Duffle in Rugged Twill (220). What do you think of this bag for how I intend to use it? Will it work? I'm also interested in how heavy it is on the arms after a decent amount of time. As well, how easily collapsible is the twill fabric when I store it empty or relatively empty?

Any alternative bag suggestions are also very welcome, Filson or non-Filson.

Thank you all.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gentlemen, you seem extremely knowledgeable about Filson bags, more so than any salesmen I've ever met, so I present my situation to you, hoping for some great insights.

I live in a big city, take public transit to work, and would like to buy groceries on the way home every now and then. I'm a strong believer in carrying only one bag for a man, and would like to upgrade from my laptop briefcase in terms of capacity. (Ideally, the new bag should fit a carton of milk, bread, eggs, produce, etc. -> as much as my arms can carry on the subway). The bag would meet a constraint in my locker at work: I guestimate it's width shouldn't be over 12", or I'd have trouble.

So my research has helped me narrow it down to the Small Duffle in Rugged Twill (220). What do you think of this bag for how I intend to use it? Will it work? I'm also interested in how heavy it is on the arms after a decent amount of time. As well, how easily collapsible is the twill fabric when I store it empty or relatively empty?

Thank you all.
There are many, many more here with a lot more Filson knowledge than me, but I have used my 24hr bag for groceries, and carrying things to the office, heck I used to use my 256 "briefcase" to bring groceries home. I'm assuming you are shopping for daily things, not a weekly stock up type of trip. I have found that the tincloth folds up nicely if one has to cram it in some smaller space (empty of course).

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you all.

The answer to this depends on how much you intend to purchase and how much of a day to day weight penalty you are willing to suffer.
A range of options:
1. Find a collapsible nylon bag that you can live with. These pack very small. Keep it in your main Filson bag, which then could be a 256/257 or whatever.

2. As 1, but use a Filson tin tote instead of the collapsible bag. Bit heavier but bombproof. Will also double as an overnight bag.

3. The 258 padded computer bag is very spacious for a briefcase and could swallow some groceries. But larger items like bread might be challenge.

4. Look at the roll top rucksac. Very large, expandable space. But not necessarily office appropriate

5. 261 zip tote is a helpful shape and quite large. Works in office environments. But you may not like the tote style.

Personally I’d go 257 and nylon bag or the 261.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Starting TinMan’s Filson pic of the day a day early.
Two of my favorite little Filson bits.
Got these from the Filson factory FRD department.

Attachments

• 9444CB6C-C5BD-48F8-A1AF-3F7F23AE3277.jpeg
    9444CB6C-C5BD-48F8-A1AF-3F7F23AE3277.jpeg
    615.9 KB · Views: 67

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads