• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CCF1897

Reaction score
Looking to get a pair of Filson bibs or overalls for winter duty, like shoveling snow and walking dog when it is cold and snowy. Wool or tin cloth? Which do you Filson clothing guys think would be warmer (warmth is the primary consideration for me). Thanks in advance for opinions.
Wool would be much warmer than the Tin. I have the wool pants and they are great. They do not have a liner in them so you have to wear a base layer to avoid itch. They are one of the best outdoor/hunting/cold weather items I have. You won’t regret the bibs or pants.

DuckMan_11

Reaction score
Looking to get a pair of Filson bibs or overalls for winter duty, like shoveling snow and walking dog when it is cold and snowy. Wool or tin cloth? Which do you Filson clothing guys think would be warmer (warmth is the primary consideration for me). Thanks in advance for opinions.
I just got a pair of double tin hunting pants. They are great in brush and keep you dry, but they are by no means warm. The only warmth you get, is by them not breathing.
I would get wool for what you mentioned.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wool would be much warmer than the Tin. I have the wool pants and they are great. They do not have a liner in them so you have to wear a base layer to avoid itch. They are one of the best outdoor/hunting/cold weather items I have. You won’t regret the bibs or pants.
I just got a pair of double tin hunting pants. They are great in brush and keep you dry, but they are by no means warm. The only warmth you get, is by them not breathing.
I would get wool for what you mentioned.
Thanks guys, I was leaning towards the wool anyway, but just was wanting opinions of those who own them. Now I know what wife can get me for Christmas :)

CCF1897

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I was leaning towards the wool anyway, but just was wanting opinions of those who own them. Now I know what wife can get me for Christmas :)
@DuckMan_11 is correct and makes a great point, the tin does not breath well and holds the moisture in,so ultimately can create a problem once you stop moving. The wool breaths great and will be ideal for what you are looking to do.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@DuckMan_11 is correct and makes a great point, the tin does not breath well and holds the moisture in,so ultimately can create a problem once you stop moving. The wool breaths great and will be ideal for what you are looking to do.
My current dog walk in winter, shovel driveway gear is a pair of Carhartt insulated bibs and coat, they do keep me warm, but are a holdover from pre-retirement and have about 20 yrs of wear and, well don't really fit that well any more as I am about 20 lbs lighter than when working, so time for new gear. Thanks all who responded both here and via DM.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
so I just scored a 48 hr duffel, which I'm planning on using for short weekend trips, and didn't think to inquire, will it fit as a carry-on for airlines? Hoping so

Cbfox

Reaction score
My current dog walk in winter, shovel driveway gear is a pair of Carhartt insulated bibs and coat, they do keep me warm, but are a holdover from pre-retirement and have about 20 yrs of wear and, well don't really fit that well any more as I am about 20 lbs lighter than when working, so time for new gear. Thanks all who responded both here and via DM.

A bit off topic, but I thought you might appreciate my shovel gear. Circa 1953.
BF5BCEAB-B7B8-456D-B9D4-569EAF95C8CC.jpeg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A bit off topic, but I thought you might appreciate my shovel gear. Circa 1953.
View attachment 1294890
Based on the Formall, I'd say your driveway is "just a bit" longer than mine.. I can get by with a Toro snowblower and/or a shovel. But like it was said in the movie Braveheart, "some are longer than others......."

Cbfox

Reaction score
Based on the Formall, I'd say your driveway is "just a bit" longer than mine.. I can get by with a Toro snowblower and/or a shovel. But like it was said in the movie Braveheart, "some are longer than others......."
Not that long to justify the farmall. About 200’x20’. I too could get by with a snowblower. But my grandfather bought it in 1953 and it has been in the family since then so it is hard to give up and it goes well with filson

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not that long to justify the farmall. About 200’x20’. I too could get by with a snowblower. But my grandfather bought it in 1953 and it has been in the family since then so it is hard to give up and it goes well with filson
Keep it forever, it's a classic and if running, even better!

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so I just scored a 48 hr duffel, which I'm planning on using for short weekend trips, and didn't think to inquire, will it fit as a carry-on for airlines? Hoping so
Yes, it’ll be fine. They are excellent bags and the front pockets are very useful. Which color?

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 48 hour will work extremely well as a carry-on.

It’s a great bag. I have it in Otter Green.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New addition to the family!

B5F710CA-B50E-41EF-8185-525CEDC2F330.jpeg
C4C90C1E-12AE-4BB7-9F2B-8C33D74FFC93.jpeg
3EAE26D7-FD64-4BCE-82D4-7B4B6BC99F21.jpeg
2B9AF74C-35D7-4D05-B5F2-8336348768AF.jpeg

Can fit a week's worth of clothes, a portable umbrella, spare duffle bag; still has room for undies, socks, toiletries!

271A7958-26EB-4948-AF6B-429231135B7B.jpeg

F68CD4F8-4202-43D4-A132-7DB5525CE08F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads